“Fabulous family resort” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
New York NY
“Fabulous family resort”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2009

PV is a fabulous resort for families, especially those with small children, although teenagers seem to love it as well. We stayed in the hotel (as opposed to staying in the apartments, which dominate the complex and seem very nice), which was super convenient and air conditioned.

This is somewhat of a vacation factory, so this is not for romantic sightseeing in Provence, although one can easily take day trips to do so.

If you don't have a car, be prepared to pay for taxis to Saint Rafael (around 30 euros) so that you can take day trips to Cannes (< 30 minutes by train) or St. Tropez (60 minutes by ferry).

The restaurants are all excellent and the pools a lot of fun, two of which have water slides and one of which has an hourly wave machine.

It is important to note that our children speak French fluently, which allowed us to take advantage of the day camps and other activities, that may be more of a problem for children that do not speak French. However, a lot of the staff (and everyone at the restaurants and hotel front desk) speak English.

The hotel staff was terrific, especially Tatayana, who went beyond the call to help us with travel arrangements, getting adjoining rooms and just making us feel at home. Our girls loved to hang in the lobby, which has a spectacular view of Cap Esterel and the Mediterranean and has a brand new collection of children's books, which can be borrowed free of charge.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank bmatraveler

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Polish first
hertfordshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2009

I was just looking through the reviews on Trip Advisor and noticed this “hotel complex” was unbelievably still running. I have travelled extensively all over the world and can say this was the biggest hell hole I have ever had the misfortune to be in. Although it was a while back now, I had to add my review to the site, in the hope it will deter people from going there. It is very detailed, but only so you can see day by day what we had to go through.

On recommendation, we initially booked a two week self catering holiday at Cap Esterel in the South of France.

We checked in at the Reception at Cap Esterel on 12th July. The receptionist booked us in and informed us that as we had booked Alize Plus, we did not have to collect any linen, as the beds would be made and there would be towels would be in our apartment.

We then climbed 124 steps (equivalent to 5 floors and no lift) to our apartment, and found that not only were the beds unmade and there were no towels, but the apartment was in an absolutely filthy dirty disgusting condition.

The shower room was in an appalling state. The toilet was brown and had not been cleaned. The toilet seat was brown and very badly stained. The toilet brush was soiled and foul. The shower curtain was white, but at the bottom of it there was thick black gunge. The shower unit was black with dirt and the shower was broken. There was black up the walls and muck all over the floor and skirting board.

The bath was dirty with scum marks all around it. When I could not put the stopper down in the bath, I removed it to find it was full of slime and hair.

The bedrooms were dirty. Bedside units filthy and bedroom light broken. . Walls grubby with food marks and the floors had not been swept or washed; nothing had been wiped or dusted. WE FOUND A WHITE TABLET ON THE BEDROOM FLOOR, JUST WHAT YOU WANT WHEN YOU HAVE A SMALL SON!!!

There was a socket hanging off the wall in the lounge area and a window to the balcony was broken. The covers on the sofa were soiled with brown stains (that looked recent). The light fitting over the table and chairs was loose. The room was disgusting. All the walls in the apartment were stained with food and drink.

The kitchen area was gross. Hob and walls had food stains. Fridge was foul and stunk. It had not been cleaned and at the bottom of the fridge there was mould and it was rusty where food had rotted. The wood surrounding the unit was broken. Microwave old and rusty.

On the balcony were two canopy stands. They were old and rusty and I am not sure why they were there. There was a washing rack to hang out clothes that had thick black dirt all over it. There were slabs of concrete missing from the floor of the patio and weeds growing. The canopy was meant to be white but it was black, and torn. The handle that you open and close the canopy with was broken and rusty.

I went back down to the Reception and spoke to the receptionist again. She said there had been a mistake, and the apartment had not been cleaned prior to our arrival. I told her how bad the condition of the apartment was, and was there any possibility of moving to another apartment, but she said there was nothing else available. She said she would get the apartment cleaned immediately and would send up a technicician to the apartment.

When we arrived back from dinner at about 9.30 pm, the apartment had still not been cleaned and there was no linen in the apartment.

I telephoned reception and said my 6 year old son wanted to go to bed. At first the receptionist had said that Alize Plus had not been booked (although on arrival the receptionist had confirmed we had Alize Plus, as we had paid for this in England). Then I was told somebody would come up to the apartment with the linen. At 10.30 pm somebody came up to the apartment, brought us some bed linen, made the beds and brought us some towels. I felt desperate.

On the 14th July a technician came up and put some tape through the window to hold it together and change the socket that was hanging off the wall.

On the 15th July, I telephoned reception to inform them that the shower was broken and the TV was not working (this was meant to be part of the Alize Plus package) and still the apartment had not been cleaned.

I then ended up scrubbing the apartment myself. Not really what you expect to do on holiday.

A couple of evenings after that, I think it was the 17th July, in error; the Crystal Rep telephoned our apartment. She had been put through to the wrong family!! Whilst she was on the telephone I explained the whole situation to her and she said she would visit me to fill out a report the following Monday.

Then on the 18th July our fridge and freezer defrosted. We had chicken, chips, peas and ice cream in the freezer which had to be thrown away. I telephoned Reception and a technician came up to change the fuse in our apartment.

On the 20th July, the Crystal France rep telephoned to say a Rep was arriving from Crystal France so I made an appointment to see him at 4 pm that day.

He filled in a report and I also informed him that only three rings on the hob worked and the dishwasher worked only occasionally.

He spoke to the Head Receptionist, who seemed very angry when informed about my situation. She seemed to take it all very personally, looking over at me and saying she had never had a complaint before about the hotel and did not know anything about all of this. She said no calls had been logged and the receptionist who I originally had spoke to, had left the company. The Saturday I checked in was her last day.

When the Crystal rep left he assured me that these maintenance problems would be rectified and the apartment would be cleaned. He was very apologetic and was very eager to assure me that this was not the accepted standard of Crystal France 4 star accommodation. I did inform him that I would be writing to Crystal France on my return to the UK.

On the 20th July, the technician changed the toilet seat and came up to look at the window and hob.

The Head Receptionist telephoned me to find out if the cleaners had been to the apartment. I told her that they had mopped out the apartment in the afternoon, but had not given the apartment a clean like expected prior to arrival. (I mean the maid service consisted of a woman pushing a wet mop, using dirty water, around from room to room and leaving. No dusting or anything else and she was satisfied that the apartment had been cleaned). The Head Receptionist then telephoned me again asking me to sign a form confirming that all repairs had been carried out.

The next day the hob and window were fixed by the technician. However, after the window was fixed you then could not open the balcony door as the surround they had put on was too thick. So then in extremely high temperatures, no air con, we could not open the balcony door.

The following day, after telephoning again, a technician came up and fixed the door.

On the same day, another receptionist telephoned me several times to see if I was going to sign a form to say the repairs had been carried out. I went to Reception that afternoon and the receptionist gave me a copy of the letter to sign. However, the letter was not to confirm that repairs had been carried out. It was a letter stating that I accept 65 euros as compensation for the cleaning and maintenance problems. I was chased by the reception team for days asking me to sign this, which we did not do.

Then to top it all on Friday 24th July, we had a power cut in the village. This was from about 7.30 pm. At about 10 pm my husband, son and I were sitting on the balcony in the dark when my chair collapsed. I grabbed the table to save myself and the table came down on top of me and the glasses smashed. My six year old son started crying and I tried to get myself inside (being unable to see) without standing on any glass. My whole right side was hurt. I could not move my neck up or down or left or right. My shoulder and top right of my back were hurting me. My right leg was very painful.

My husband telephoned reception and spoke to the reception to report the fall. He explained that the chair had broken, glasses had smashed and there was no light. Even though the lights came on again about 11 pm, we never heard from anyone again from Reception. We were left to rot!!!

On the 26th July at 8.45 am I telephoned Reception to see if the doctor was available on a Saturday. After speaking to four different receptionists I was told he was available.

I saw the doctor that morning. He said I should really have an x ray at the hospital, but as I was travelling home that day, to go to the hospital on my return. The doctor prescribed anti-inflammatory tablets, muscle spasm tablets, painkillers and a collar for my neck. He signed me off work for a week.

On return to the UK I spent 7.5 hours in accident and emergency. I had whiplash and all the muscles in my neck and shoulder were torn. I spent over a year in physio and still have problems with my shoulder and neck.

I can honestly say it was the worst holiday of my life. I paid a fortune for what I thought would be 4 star accommodation and a wonderful holiday. Instead I spend two weeks telephoning reception to sort out the apartment, cleaning and scrubbing myself and then to top it all injured myself because of the falling from a faulty chair. The apartment was absolutely horrific. It was pretty obviously nobody checks these apartments, so maintenance is completely overlooked. If you are thinking of going to this dreadful place just do one thing DON’T!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2006, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank m0usey

Travellers are raving about these Agay hotels

London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2009

Were the words my wife used yesterday just after we had checked in. We were confronted by a small room with all the cupboards full of mold dripping from the walls. The smell was awful. The TV had been ripped off the wall and there was no bedding in the room.
We went back to reception to be greeted by Clarice who when we said we wanted another room or we are leaving said ' so be it'.
To be fair a fantastic woman called Kim gave us a different room with is fine but I was utterley appalled by the initial room.
good points of the village are the facilities which are great and the restaurants where the food is of good quality and reasonably priced. But why oh why put a safe in the room and then charge people for bying the key - petty and silly.
One last point went to the pool today and wanted a sunbed - a third were reserved for day trippers who hadnt turned up. when we pointed out that we were residents the girl guarding the pool area said we could pay for one apparently not seeing the irony of her statement!
Anyway lets hope things improve! If the manager wants to call me to discuss ring me on [--]

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2009

second time I am going there and the location is fantastic.
the appartements have been refurbished a few months ago and they are really pretty, very comfortable, felt at home very quickly.
2 large swimming pools, a good choice of restaurants, friendly staff.
I recommend the place to anyone and I would go again very soon and with great pleasure!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank frenchtuesday
milan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2009

arrived around 10p.m., with heavy suitacases and granny. steep steps, badly lighted. no sheets for the beds, the refrigerator ko, television with nearly no sound at all. two hours later, we went to the reception to get the sheets by ourselves.
toilet: a slight unpleasant smell lingering in. the flat, reallly too small. even though we had taken a more expensive one, it wouldn't have been so different.
train to the sea: there were two little trains, the first week. then one had a breakdown and was not replaced for all the week; as a result, it was very difficult to get on the train because it was too crowded, nearly impossible for the unfortunate staying at the hameau.
pedestrian village. Fine, but you must be fit, because carrying bottles and cans and tins with the shopping up to the hills is not suitable for anyonw not well in shape.
swimming pools: lovely, but too crowded the second week to meet the requirment of being clean.
lovely spring board. worthwhile by itself if you like diving.
lovely animation. very well prepared people, energetic, funny, respctful, never pushing.
lovely trapeze. but it is not so easy to get information before booking on details of age required and so on...
perfect for teenagers. plenty of activities, clubs and sports. My daughter (12) wants to go back. (but we don't)
off limits for the elderly, if not willing or able to walk and climb.
last, but not the least and very unpleasant: when we got back home we found a letter from the direction informing us that some cases of legionellosis had occured to people who had stayed there in april-may. we found the letter very disturbing: if the cases had been in april- may, is it possible that the direction sent us the communication after we had left home to stay there (end of july)? I just let you imagine how I felt when few days later my daughter had a very high temperature... luckily, it was just flu, but ... i don't think it has been correct letting us know that when it was too late for deciding of not going.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
pv_customer_liaison, Site Manager at Pierre & Vacances Village Club Cap Esterel, responded to this review, 1 June 2009
Dear manuMilan,
I'd like to thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor.
I thought I would post to clarify a few points in your review.
Our vast resort is a perfect mix of both red rock hillside and gardens, which our apartments are spread over. This may prove difficult for guests with restricted mobility but this fact is clearly described on our website. We can also happily recommend other residences which suit specific mobility needs at point of booking.

Families choose to come to Cap Esterel Holiday Village and stay in our self-catering apartments because they are so affordable. We keep costs low but offering "add-ons" to your room- a cleaning service/beds made on arrival is available at an extra charge. Specific prices are again, available on our website.

We are sorry some of the furnishings and fittings were not up to standard in your room. This is a very rare occurrence, in one of our most popular locations. The local manager has investigated the events that gave rise to your comments. In addition to ensuring that all rooms are spotlessly clean for new guests, it is our policy to check that all facilities work correctly. We apologise that, in this instance, the situation was not resolved to your satisfaction.

I'm pleased to confirm that parts of our resort are currently under refurbishment and refitting.

In reference to your Legionnaires letter, we ensured all customers received one to ease any worries. It was confirmed with P&V in August 2008, In regards to your concerns about Legionnaires at the property, 3 incidences of Legionnaires were recorded in this village by different residents. In accordance with local and EU regulations a full investigation was conducted to establish if the cases were linked. Following this extensive investigation it has been confirmed that there is no evidence that the cases were related, however Legionnaires was detected in a privately owned apartment which is not available for tourism rental. Because of this fact, we wanted to ensure that all guests were aware of the situation.

We hope these eases any of your concerns. I'd like to thank you for your feedback and I do hope you stay at one of our residences again soon.

Best wishes,
York, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2009

stayed here with hubby and son aged 5yrs, location is fab in the bay of Agay. pool complex was brilliant and there was a lifeguard on duty all the time, facilities good there is a supermarket and takeaways & restaurant as well as a pub! and some entertainment at night. The down side was the accomodation it was shabby and it felt alittle damp at times and there was a strange fusty smell in the kitchen, have been to other PV resorts and they were fine it's such a shame as the location is brill, I thinks it's time that they upgraded the accomodation as they must be losing business.

• Stayed September 2006, travelled with family
1 Thank suarezlover
pv_customer_liaison, Site Manager of Cap Esterel at Pierre & Vacances Village Club Cap Esterel, responded to this review, 26 March 2009
Dear Torreslover,

I wanted to post a reply to express my apologies that you felt your accommodation was not up to the high standard you expected. Your points regarding the furnishings and hygiene levels of the apartment have been noted for further review.

In reference to your concerns over the rooms, this particular residence is scheduled for a full refurbishment and we will continue to ensure our customers’ comfort while this work takes place. Additionally, we always now have a member of staff ‘on call’ who can deal with any problems outside of reception hours swiftly and efficiently.
Hilden, Germany
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2009

My husband an me stayed two weeks at Cap Esterel in september. It was not our first stay there.
The resort is located in the wonderful Esterel mountains. It offers great mountain and sea views. It is located probably at one of the most beautiful places at the shore. The architecture fits perfectly well into the landscape.
Since we knew that some areas of the resort are a bit noisy we asked for a quiet appartment in advance. Check-In was efficient and friendly. The appartment we got was a big disappointment. We knew that it would be very small, but besides being small it was dirty and shabby. I’ve stayed at the resort ten years before and it seems as if the appartment has not been renewed since then. There was a lot of mold in the bathroom and the floor of the living room was not cleaned. We even found food remains on the floor from the guests that stayed in the appartment before us. The balcony offered astonishing views on the sea and the mountains, but it was not cleaned either. You could not sit on the garden furniture without ruining you clothes. So we bought cleaning utensils to clean the appartment and make it a little more comfortable. The dirty appartments seem to be a proble all over the resort. We heard from many other guests that their appartments were not cleaned properly either. The housekeping staff of the resort obviously needs coaching!
The views were kind of compensating for the dirt. But the resort needs to be updated as soon as possible. The quality of the appartements is not acceptable anymore.
In the evening we wanted to enjoy a great dinner on the balcony. Soon we were disturbed by party noise from the balconies at the appartment buildings behind our building. The were a lot of young boys and girl partying on the balcony with loud music, screaming and shouting. We later found out that the resort was accomodating school trips. The school classes stayed in the buildings behing our building an were noisy all the time, Sometimes they were partying til three o’clock in the morning. Complaints at the reception and the security service had no effect. They told us, that the group would leave soon, but it was not possible to get another appartment in a qieter area of the resort. Hard to believe, since the resort is soooo large and was not even half booked in september.
We were very disappointed, especially since we asked for a quiet appartment in advance. It is perfectly normal and understandable that students like to party on a school trip, but it is not acceptable that they are accomodated close to families and couples that paid for enjoying nice holidays. The resort should decide if it wants to be a family holiday resort or a youth hostel! A combination is not possible.
Nevertheless we enjoyed our stay. We had great weather and visited the beautiful cities. We also enjoyed the french food very much. If you stay at the resort, don’t expect much from restaurants within the resort. They are very expensive and not very good. Go to St. Raphael or Agay and enjoy the real french food that is worth every penny.
It is a pity that the appartments are that bad, otherwise this could be the perfect place to stay at the Cote d’Azur. Next time, we will choose another accomodation. Cap Esterel is no longer an option for us.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Appartment
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
      Check-in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Batida0204
pv_customer_liaison, Cap Esterel Site Manager at Pierre & Vacances Village Club Cap Esterel, responded to this review, 6 April 2009
Hello Inga27,
I felt I should make a personal reply to express my apologies for the recent points you have made regarding your accommodation was not up to the high standard you expected. Your points regarding the furnishings, hygiene levels of the apartment and external resort noise have been noted for further review.

In addition to ensuring that all rooms are spotlessly clean for new guests, it is also our policy to check that all facilities work correctly. We apologise that, in this instance, the situation was not resolved to your satisfaction. We can promise you this is a very rare case. Cap Esterel is one of our thriving resorts, and popular stays- at all times of the year.

Therefore, your points regarding cleanliness have been taken into consideration, and I'm pleased to report, recommendations have been passed on alongside a request for an update of staff cleaning practices, normally however staff are trained to a very high standard.

We are sorry on-site staff could not accommodate you elsewhere on the resort, and would like to report we always now have a member of staff ‘on call’ who can deal with any problems outside of reception hours swiftly and efficiently.

We sincerely hope you choose to stay at one of our resorts soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Agay
Pierre & Vacances Village Club Hotel de l'Esterel
#5 of 39 in Saint-Raphael
Hotel le Relais d'Agay
Pierre & Vacances Village Club Les Restanques du Golfe de Saint-Tropez
BEST WESTERN Plus Hotel La Marina

Been to Pierre & Vacances Village Club Cap Esterel? Share your experiences!