“Functional but not 4 star”

Novotel Paris Sud Porte de Charenton
London, United Kingdom
“Functional but not 4 star”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2013

We stayed her for 2 nights in late August 2013. The first thing that I noticed was the tired looking stained chairs in the lobby which suprised me. The reception staff are helpful and multi-lingual; our room was functional but certainly did not present as a 4 star hotel, the nespresso machine did not include the coffee tabs and whilst our travelling companion had his replenished the following morning we had to ask to be provided with some. The shower is good although generally the bathroom is slightly on the small side. For whatever reason I did have a restful nights sleep at all - this could however be for a number of unconnected reasons but the bed and covers were not comfortable for me at all. Functional, more accurate rating would be 3.5 star, unlikely to stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sjofn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2013

We stayed here twice as we took the Autotrain to the South of France.

The hotel is a little jaded - probably due for a spruce up soon - but is clean and tidy and everything works. The staff are polite and very friendly; the only downside on our second stay was they had forgotten to make up the second bed for the kids. Breakfast is OK - don't expect anything flash and the hot breakfast can best be described as 'warm' - but there's nothing in the local area as a substitute so you're fairly stuck with it.

The hotel's a little off the beaten track - it's not easy to get in and out of the centre by Metro so probably best to use if for Bercy / Gare de Lyon / Austerlitz as opposed to a tourist hotel.

Room Tip: The family rooms are small - probably only fit for 3 or 4 if you have 2 little ones
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank BertNoslen
Catherine G, Directeur général at Novotel Paris Sud Porte de Charenton, responded to this review, 5 September 2013
Dear Guest,

First of all, thank you for trusting us by coming twice. I appreciate you’ve taken some of your time to write us your feedback.
I am pleased to note you general satisfaction. Indeed, Novotel Paris Charenton is off the beaten track, which allows you to get some rest (after a busy tourism day!) in a quiet area but very closed from Paris. The metro line 8 gives you an access to the center of Paris in 15 minutes.

We hope to welcome you again in the Novotel Paris Charenton (we will make up the second bed for the kids this time!)

Kuwait
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2013

I stayed in this hotel from July 28 to August 2, 2013. The facilities available in the hotel are as expected in a Novotel. The staff are cheerful and accommodating. The reception staff are professionals as you expect in a Novotel. The restaurant staff are cheerful but may need some more training to boost confidence. They act like they are so afraid of every move. The table arrangements are not consistent, sometimes missing a fork, knife, sugar packs as example. The restaurants are not as clean as I see in my previous Novotel experience. You will still see some scattered bread crumbs on the floor even you were the first person to arrive for breakfast. The orange juice is bitter, but I like the taste of the coffee!. The hotel is in a nice location where a Metro is just in front. There are a lot of stores nearby if you need some essentials. Restaurants are available nearby like Asian, American and French. Not bad to comeback in this hotel during business trips where I don't care so much about quality detail.

Room Tip: All rooms I think are quiet and may have a nice view of the Charenton Le Pont neighborhood.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Catherine G, General Manager at Novotel Paris Sud Porte de Charenton, responded to this review, 12 August 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback regarding your stay. I've taken good notes of your comments and I've alerted our restaurant team to do what's necessary.
We hope to welcome you for your next trip in one on our 4000 Accor Hotels all over the world,

North Yorkshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2013

After having a long journey from England traveling through the night, we (two adults, two children) arrived at the hotel around lunch time. We were told that they had cancelled our booking and booked us into an apart hotel down the road. We asked what star rating it had several times and they would not tell us. We were all shattered, it was very hot and we wanted to spend the afternoon in Paris so we didn't make a scene and lugged all our bags back down to the underground car park and headed up to the apart hotel. To cut a long story short, it was an awful place, well below any of our expectations and we had to phone the Novotel to say that it was not acceptable. They said they would phone us back in 5 mins...we were still waiting after 15 mins so we packed our things up again and headed back to the Novotel, having wasted nearly 2 hours of our afternoon during this time. They eventually agreed to put us up for the night in the hotel, but by this time they had spoilt our arrival in Paris, a place we had all been looking forward to visiting for months. Shameful behaviour from Novotel.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Bellebaby2
Catherine G, Directeur général at Novotel Paris Sud Porte de Charenton, responded to this review, 9 August 2013
Dear guest,

First of all, I completely understand your dissatisfaction and I want to apology for your bad experience in my hotel.
This kind of event is exceptional and we have taken measures so it won’t happen again.
However, if it happens, we generally give our clients a compensation for damages suffered. As we care about offering you a good travelling experience, we are listening to you at any moment so do not hesitate to come and express your discontent.
I hope you enjoyed your stay in Paris despite your start.

Oakland, California, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2013

I had a very disappointing experience. Several websites describe this as a four star hotel, but it is simply not true. Here's what's lacking: a bellman, concierge, gym, robe, competent front desk staff. The bed was painful; the furniture was the cheapest I have seen in a hotel room (it makes IKEA look luxurious). The front desk staff was clueless when my internet did not work. I had to complain three times before they finally moved me to another room where the wireless worked. When I asked about a gym, they said "I think there is one down the street." (I never found it.) The AC temperature is centrally controlled, and it was warm in my room. (You can turn the AC down but not up--again, this is no four star hotel!) And the location is a 30 minute train ride from most of the sights of Paris. I would never stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade to the elite floor--it's the only one with nice rooms. I was given this afte...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Russell R
Catherine G, Directeur général at Novotel Paris Sud Porte de Charenton, responded to this review, 29 July 2013
Dear guest,

First of all, I want to thank you for your feedback that helps us to improve our service. I appreciate you took some time to point out what you did not appreciate.
The Novotel Paris Charenton did meet the requirements needed to be considered as a 4* hotel. However, I am sincerely sorry that my hotel did not meet with your expectations. I just want to let you know that we will be soon equipped with a Virtual Concierge. That will allow you to find information related to the hotel and its local surroundings, as well as practical information such as local maps, the weather, news…
Regarding the gym, there is indeed a fitness center called Accrovital, located at 2min from the hotel at this following address: 157 rue de Paris. I am really sorry our indications were too light. Please, next time, do not hesitate to come back and ask for more clarification, I will be personally pleased to show you the way. Also, the Bois de Vincennes is just nearby the hotel and is perfectly suitable for a jogging.

Please, accept our excuses for all inconveniences suffered. We hope to welcome you in one on our 4000 Accor Hotels all over the world,

Catherine GIRAUD
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charenton-le-Pont
Novotel Paris Centre Bercy
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,659 reviews
Ibis budget Paris Porte de Bercy
#2 of 3 in Charenton-le-Pont
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,014 reviews

Been to Novotel Paris Sud Porte de Charenton? Share your experiences!