“Huge Disappointment”

Ranked #1 of 3 Ojen B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Huge Disappointment”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

My wife and I stayed here in July. Sadly, the visit was not a success, and there were many problems that led to us leaving earlier than planned.

First impressions are of course important. Our first of the villa was a skip full of dirt in the entrance, and two workers with shovels. I do feel we should have warned if they were having building work done during our stay. Especially as - with just 4 rooms - it is such a small hotel.

Next we tried to get in our room. I was carrying heavy boxes of wine after a visit to a local vineyard. First we met a Spanish man who assumed I was delivering the wine. I tried - with my very basic Spanish - to explain that I was a guest. He didn't seem to believe me. After a few moments a teenage boy who had been lounging on a sofa engrossed in his iPad abled over. He would be checking us in.

The boy finally led us downstairs towards the room. At no point did he offer to help carry any of our luggage. Not even when I asked if we could move a little quicker as I was carrying heavy boxes of wine.

He left us in the room without explaining anything - where to get towels, what time was breakfast, even how to switch on the light (I eventually found the light switch in the corridor outside the room).

Worse than any of this though, was that the room was melting hot. It's then we discovered there was no air-conditioning. We had assumed - as the Villa was described as a luxury hotel - that air con would be standard in sunny Marbella. I appreciate I should have checked, and take responsibility for that. But still, in conditions as hot as these, efforts could have been made to make the room as cool as possible. The curtains could have been pulled to keep out the sun. The windows shut to keep out the hot air. The fan on to get it as cool as possible. None of this had been done. The experience was like walking into a greenhouse. And sadly it was 5pm, and by then the room and those terracotta tiles had been heating up for hours. We simply couldn't get the room cool, which meant it was too hot for us to sleep all night long.

Then came the dinner. It was been cooked just for us, and had been pre-planned. We'd asked specifically for no fish. The first thing we were served was raw tuna and a salad including octopus.

And then there was the dog. No one had told us the hotel came with a house dog (anyone allergic beware). As beautiful as the house dog Cookie is, it was not a great experience to have him begging from our table all through what was meant to be a romantic dinner for two. He was with us for over 2 hours. In the end we cut our desert short and went downstairs to finish our wine so we could be alone.

Cookie's begging was repeated at breakfast. I can assure you that I was not the only guest uncomfortable with this - one gentleman finally lost his rag and pulled the dog away by the collar.

Then we paid. There was no possibility of a receipt. And there was no change. Despite the fact that the manageress had requested specifically that I pay in cash. So I was forced to leave a tip even though you can understand from the above that I would not have chosen to.

In defence of the Villa, the manageress, Linda, was not present during our stay. Perhaps everything falls apart when she's away? However I emailed her after we left early to list our complaints. That was 9 days ago. She's not bothered to respond to my email, despite being super responsive before our stay...

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Dave H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

Had 3 nights at this wonderful B&B/ boutique hotel. Everything was high quality from furnishings to service. Breakfast was always delicious and sourced locally and if you have a chance try the dinner. Finally, we stayed with two young children, which couldn't have been easier with adjoining rooms.

Stayed July 2014
St. Catharines, Canada
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Perched high on a cliff overlooking the Mediterranean, with a view of Gibraltar in the hazy distance, the Urban Villa is worth the effort to get to. While only a brief car ride from the centre of Marbella, it's a quiet and relaxing eyrie. Your Hostess, Linda, will welcome you warmly and treat you to an extravagant continental breakfast, which you'll enjoy on the terrace while savouring the magnificent views below. If you're eating dinner in town she'll recommend one of the best restaurants where her referral usually results in a complimentary drink. In our case it was two huge pours of cognac at the meal's end! The first time up and down the road is a little scary but having done it once it's a matter of little moment.

London
Reviewed 1 June 2014

The Urban Villa is the perfect place to stay when visiting Marbella and its surroundings! The place itself is just beautiful, very nicely decorated and with magnificent views. It is located in the mountain so it is very peaceful and quiet but at the same time you are just a short drive from Marbella Old Town and the beach. The place is very well run by it's owner Linda who is very helpful and is always trying to make sure that you have evrything you need. Staying in the Urban Villa felt like staying at your own home! It has a very nice and relaxed feel to it and I would absolutely recommend this place to anyone planning to visit La Costa del Sol.

Greater London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 May 2014

We thought that being outside Marbella would spare us from the nightmare that I got every time I thought of the costa del sol. Fortunately, we were right.
However, Urban Villa is something of a double edged sword. On the one one hand, the villa itself is fantastic. It's a modern build in the old style. Think plenty of wood and white walls. I believe the house was built to be two magnificent apartments but it is now one. We stayed at the top of the house in the King suite and it is magnificent up there. The bed is considerably wider than it is long, (go look at your bed to see how luxurious this must feel). There is a huge private balcony, a jacuzzi and the wet room in the bathroom is about as big as my whole bathroom at home. It is situated far enough from Marbella that the town is just part of the phenomenal view yet if you want to drive into town you are only a few minutes away.
Right, that's the good bit. Weirdly, we couldn't quite put our finger on what we didn't like but I've had a chance to think about it so here goes. It turns out that the person running the show has rented the villa and is running it as a business. As a result, there is a certain home from home feeling missing. It felt to us like we were staying in a business rather that being invited into someones home and I think for us that is the difference between a good B&B and a great one. I'm sure that if you bear this in mind you will not be disappointed but if you are looking for the personal touch and warmth of staying in someone's home then look at my review of Meerlust instead.

Room Tip: The king suite is very private, very huge and very luxurious.
2 Thank ChefSebastian
New York City, New York
Reviewed 30 April 2014

The Urban Villa was a wonderful place to stay in Marbella! The villa itself is beautiful, but the panoramic views of Marbella are the real treat. Linda was so nice and helpful and has great recommendations for restaurants, things to do, etc. Also, the breakfast spread was one of the highlights - delicious selection of charcuterie and cheese along with all kinds of breads, pastries, yogurts, cereals, juices, etc! Linda also has a very nice selection of local wines available, which we definitely took advantage of for relaxing on the terrace and enjoying the views.

I stayed in the "Relax" Suite with a friend, which was perfect because we each had our own bedroom. The room shares a very nice lounge/sitting area with one other suite, but it felt very private - we never even saw the inhabitants of the other room while we were there. The room also opens up to a gorgeous terrace with some lounge chairs and an unbelievable view (also shared with the other suite).

Only about 15 minutes to get to Old Marbella and the beach. We took taxis, which were never difficult to get, but having a car might be easier. Would definitely stay here again... definitely a great way to experience Marbella!

Room Tip: the relax suite has two bedrooms and shared access to a large terrace with unbelievable views
Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Had a great time at the urban villa!
Beautiful location, beautiful bulding, our room (King suite) was a dream - furnished with attention to detail, very comfortable sunbeds on the terrace, beautiful grounds, beautiful view, very clean. Quit on the hill but only 15 minutes to Marbella. Thank you Linda!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kristin B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ojen
La Villa Marbella
Puente Romano Beach Resort & Spa Marbella
Gran Melia Don Pepe
Gran Melia Don Pepe
#5 of 70 in Marbella

Been to The Urban Villa? Share your experiences!