I can't deny I am an incurable Hispanophile, but Sanlucar de Barrameda has to be one of the most unspoilt of Spanish towns you can visit, and the Posada de Palacio the best hotel in town.
The location is excellent (unless you can't do steep hills), the building is in a typically rambling Andalucian Senorial Mansion with interior patios, wells, antique furnished salons, tiled floors, 12 ft high wooden beamed ceilings, pillars, and a great series of roof terraces with both sol y sombra! It is only a short walk downhill past the bustling municipal market to the town's two main squares and a great selection of bars. A tapas 'must' is the local speciality, the tortilla de camarones - a kind of shrimp fritter - accompanied by a glass of chilled manzanilla, the local very dry sherry. Barbiana's Bar on Plaza Cabildo is the best, with Casa Balbino in the same square coming a close second!
We stayed in a double suite on the ground floor opening onto the main ground floor patio (room 27). It consisted of a bedroom, small sitting room and a huge bathroom with a really good shower. some may find the rooms a little dark, but you have to remember that the authenticity of the house has not been compromised - small windows onto big rooms kept Spanish palaces cool in the intense heat of summer.
But you have aircon too, so no need to worry about that!
Other reasons to stay here include the nice breakfast served in the cosy bar or in one of the patios, friendly staff (not much English spoken though) and a fab bar/restaurant just round the corner - El Gallego - the biggest portions you will find in Sanlucar - you have been warned!
One warning- you may need earplugs - the tiled floors can be unforgiving if your neighbours wear high heels.....
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A former palace of the eighteenth century located in the historical and artistic center of the most beautiful cities in the South: Sanlúcar de Barrameda , filled with noble buildings and beautiful wineries set ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Travel Republic (UK), Evoline ltd, Odigeo, Priceline and Cancelon so you can book your Posada de Palacio Gastronomical Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Posada De Palacio Hotel Sanlucar De Barrameda
- Posada De Palacio Sanlucar Barrameda