“A most pleasurable stay”
Review of Los Helechos

Los Helechos
Hamburg, Germany
“A most pleasurable stay”
Reviewed 25 September 2012

My husband and i chose the hotel for our second visit to Sanlucar because we wanted to be in the old town as opposed to the beachfront on out last visit. We were not disappointed. built in Moorish stylt, around courtyards and with much decorative tiling and ferns (helechos), we were given a room on the top floor, which opened directly onto a georgeous roof terrace, with a very nice, smallish swimming pool right nearby. We were happy to discover there is an elevator in the hotel as well. With tables and chairs outside the room we could sit outside and watch the sunset while enjoying a Manzanilla after our late afternoon swim. Our double room was extremely spacious and very basic, marble floors, two windows and L-shaped with a third bed for a third person if necessary. Free wireless too. We did not use the AC or the TV, so cannot rate these. The hotel bar has the charm of a cafeteria, so we preferred the many wonderful outside bars just down the street. we also had breakgast at the plaza with the fountain, always lots to watch. Los Helechos has a great location if you want to be in the midst of this lively and not so touristy city. We love it here and would definitely return. The staff at the reception did not Speak English, so i struggled through with my elementary Spanish, but we managed! It seems that most of the tourists there in September were Spanish.

Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sinnome

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Mid Wales
Reviewed 8 May 2012

A very attractive hotel built traditionally around a central courtyard with a fountain. The room was comfortable and clean. The staff were friendly. It was ideally situated just a few minutes from the main square.

Room Tip: I think higher floors are quieter.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 March 2012

Rooms set around an attractive courtyard. Rooms comfortable and adequate but no hairdryers. Staff were friendly and helpful and there was free parking.

Room Tip: Best rooms overlook the courtyard.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
UK
Reviewed 26 January 2010

The hotel is situated in a central Sanlucar, the rooms are clean - but smelled damp and musty - the heating didn't work very well. The decor in the room was dated and shabby, and the bath and shower fittings rusty. It was very noisy in the early morning, not street noise but from inside the hotel itself.
Reception, from the owner, was lukewarm at best, but the real problem was that she took my passport with no explanation as to why she wanted it, and didn't return it.
Admittedly, I didn't remember it before leaving, but since travellers from the UK don't have the "check your identify card every time you leave the house" mentality, I didn't miss it in the morning before leaving the hotel and moving on. Also, I never usually stay in hotels in Spain but always with friends, so wasn't used to looking at my passport between arriving at the airport and check-in for departure.
We later discovered that she had not followed proper procedures; she should have taken a copy and returned it immediately. She was still at the desk when we returned to the hotel after eating out, and could have returned it then. At the very least, instructions should have been left with the other reception staff to return it when we checked out. This meant we had to make a long detour back to Sanlucar to get the passport back. We had to make several calls to the hotel from our friends' house to ensure the passport would be ready for collection and never received a word of apology for what was chiefly her mistake.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank UkSevillana

Travellers are raving about these Sanlucar de Barrameda hotels

Hermosa Beach, California
Reviewed 9 January 2010

SInce I was traveling solo, depending on arriving via bus and had a large piece of luggage I wanted a hotel that was in the lower town. This hotel is well located near the main square, Plaza Cabildo, and only about a 10 minute walk from the bus station. I arrived before noon and my room was not ready - no problem. I stored my luggage at teh hotel and went on to my tour at La Gitana bodega. When I returned around 1:30pm the room was ready. The staff was very friendly. This hotel is peaceful and quiet but still in the heart of everything. A big plus (for me) - hotel now has an elevator. Rooms are a bit old looking but very spacious. Restroom was quite large with plenty of counter space. There was no blowdryer in the room but they had one available at the front desk. I paid 45.9 for one night (double for single use) including VAT, breakfast not included.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank CathyDM
New York, NY
Reviewed 17 March 2009

Staff very nice, location good, facilities and room fine. Los Helechos would have been good value except for the fact that you couldn't breathe through the cigarette smoke. The night we were there, a Spanish tourist group set up camp outside our door at 3 in the morning -- drinking and talking loudly (and did I mention the smoke?). We had almost no sleep and will never, ever, put price over reliable comfort again.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
Eu, France
Reviewed 15 September 2008

There are three 'hotels de charme' in Sanlucar: Los Helechos, the Posado de Palacio and the Duques de Medina Sidonia. All are elegant and good value. I looked at them all and decided on Los Helechos which, at €71 a night for a double room plus free garage, was the best value. It's very attractive with the rooms on three floors around a large courtyard. Our room was on the top floor: very clean and spacious with a good sized bathroom (although the shower could be improved). It opened on the communal roof terrace which was large enough to feel private and have a glass of wine. I was delighted with the hotel and stayed on for three nights. The beach at Sanlucar is not the best so we went too nearby Cipriano beach which was lovely. I would recommend all three of these hotels.

• Liked — Spacious room at a great price. Garage.
  • Disliked — No lift. Shower attachment
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple