“A few setbacks but decent overall”

Holiday Inn Express Barcelona-Sant Cugat
Reviewed 6 August 2013

We chose this hotel because it was outside of the normal rumble-tumble of Barcelona proper and we wanted some sleep -- not dump trucks at 3am or teenage hostelers shooting off fireworks. The hotel is conveniently located right by the Sant Joan FGC stop (railroad), which goes all the way into Pl. Catalunya and you can connect anywhere in the city from there. A ride costs 2.80 one-way.

While the location *is* quiet, the management seems to have some issues to work out. As a PriorityClub Gold member, we booked online and stayed with points. However, when we arrived at the hotel, the room we initially received had two twin beds instead of one queen. The night manager was able to swap us into a different room - albeit a handicapped one with a non-standard shower - but we were able to get a good night's rest. The next morning we took our luggage down (again, on his instruction) for transfer to our new room - except we didn't know what room that would be. We just left our luggage in the hotel hold. That evening when we went to claim it, we were asked for tickets, but no tickets were ever issued. It wasn't a problem, but illustrates some lack of communication among the management team.

The worst was returning our second night. There was only one night auditor on duty, and she had a particularly troublesome family trying to check in. A long line full of frustrated people was building behind her, but rather than put them "on hold" and only have 1 frustrated family she build up a line of 3 or 4.

Another issue was the breakfast; while offering a pretty broad selection of foods, the new product seemed to come out at odd times and generally disrupted the line. However, I can't blame that on the hotel; I think the "line etiquette" may be different among all the different nationalities staying there.

All in all I don't think I would return to this hotel, but it served it's purpose in that we had a place to put our heads for the nights we stayed in Barcelona.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Barcelona-Sant Cugat, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2013

Dear Matthew F,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review about our property. It is always our goal to provide convenient and world class service to our guest. We apologize we were not able to exceed your expectations during your stay. Please be assured that these will be looked into and that your comments will be used to monitor future improvements needed.

Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to have another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Karen C

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Barcelona-Sant Cugat

Reviewed 7 May 2013

We stayed at this hotel in 2011 July...holiday inn is same everywhere globally ........no taste in there breakfast whatsoever......... I agree that there room price is cheaper compare to other hotels, only reason I stay because it's American chain and I feel comfortable. Nearest metro is 10 min walking and you have to walk because the walkway is right behind the hotel........its little scary at night so be careful.. Avoid late night travelling

Room Tip: choose city hotel
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank priti j
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Barcelona-Sant Cugat, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2013

Dear priti j,

Thank you for posting a review of our property. It is good to know that you found our room accommodations to be sufficient for your needs. I regret however, that the breakfast served during your visit did not live up to your liking. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

I sincerely hope that the next time you are in the area, you give our hotel another try.

Regards,

Pam G.

Reviewed 7 April 2013

I stayed here for two weeks while I spread my fathers ashes around Spain. I chose the hotel because of the price and location to Barcelona. It's about 20 minutes from the city. I felt welcomed every time I walked though the door and the staff always remembered my name. I was given great recommendations for all I asked. The breakfast is small. I loved this though! I lost 5lbs being on a Spanish diet due to portions and natural bases to the food though out the country. I would recommend to the traveler looking to explore or who is on business.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 April 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel 4 nights during eastern period, it is very far from the city center and takes nearly 35min by regional train-s2 To go to palaça de katalonya station bercolana. The breakfast is weak, only bread, tomato souce,ham,cheese.. Realy week, every day they serve same breakfast.. Nearly there are 3 trains in one hour from city center to the hotel..

for me it is not a good place to visit barcelona city center..

• Stayed: March 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Barcelona-Sant Cugat, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2013

Dear Neslihan B,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit at our hotel. I am truly sorry to hear that the breakfast options served during your travel did not live up to your expectations. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually. Thank you again for your review and we hope to have an opportunity of welcoming you back again soon.

Janice A

Reviewed 1 March 2013 via mobile

I've used this hotel several times during business trips to the area with my employer HP. The HP office is just a short bus ride away leaving from outside the train station which is 300 metres walk away.

The hotel is friendly yet basic as expected grim the company's budget arm. The staff are very friendly and most now recognise me and a few even remember my name and what I drink.

The wifi is not fast but adequate, the bathroom clean and the bed quite firm.

Breakfast is basic continental style with cheeses, meats, eggs, cereals, juices and breads. The croissants are warmed up fresh and are popular.

Evening meals are set menu and fairly good although I'd recommend taking the train one stop down into Sant Cugat and walk along the Ramblas to find s really nice place to eat there.

the waitress is lovely and very efficient. But you might be dining alone as its not that popular.

If recommend it to anybody wanting a clean hotel outside of the city, close to the Formula One circuit or working for HP.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank slankypuss
Reviewed 13 January 2013

I spent a week working in Sant Cugat Del Valles , and i have to say this hotel is very convenient for this purpose and visiting Barcelona. On arrival the lady on the desk was very polite and helpful even though I had arrived quite early. She also advised me about the train service into Barcelona and even drew a little map as an explanation. The train station (St Joan) is only a few minutes walk from the hotel . The train service is incredibly easy to use and you can get to Sant Cugat in a few minutes and Barcelona in 25 . The room was clean and had all that was necessary including extra pillows , hair dryer and plenty of shower gel ! The breakfast was plentiful and had enough variety , including yoghurt , fruit , various cereals, pastries , toast , jams and cold meats and cheese. There are vending machines for sandwiches and snacks/drinks and contrary to other reviews there is an evening menu which was of a good standard . There was various items such as Lasagne , burgers with fries and salad and pizza . You can also order take away pizzas at the desk which seemed quite popular. If you want to eat out you can go to Sant Cugat which is a really nice town with a spectacular 9th century monastery . You may have to ask directions as the restaurants are hard to spot. One downside is that the taxi drivers have a hard time finding the entrance to the hotel , and sometimes get irate about this . Several people commented on this . I would suggest that Holiday Inn management address this . Overall i would recommend this hotel if you need to stay in Sant Cugat or as a cheaper alternative to staying in noisy Barcelona.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Lucky702
Reviewed 27 December 2012

We spent Christmas in Barcelona and stayed at the Holiday Inn Express for 3 nights and 4 days. The rooms very clean and comfortable. The bathrooms also very clean. Housekeeping and the Reception desk were brilliant. We have only one fault - the breakfast was just awful! Every day they served processed ham and salami which was disgusting! Not even scrambled eggs or sausages were served even on CHRISTMAS DAY! The restaurant was closed from 21st December till 26th December (The time we were there). One would have thought that at least on Christmas Day and Boxing Day we would have been given a decent breakfast. We were at a Holiday Inn Express in Paris but they served a far more decent breakfast than the one in Sant Cugat. First and last time we will ever stay at this hotel!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank JulesDee
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Barcelona-Sant Cugat, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2013

Dear JulesDee,

We appreciate you sharing your experience regarding your stay with us. I am pleased you found our rooms very clean and comfortable. I am also delighted you found our staff commendable. Please accept our sincere apology for the shortcomings you experienced during your stay and I regret the food served during your stay did not live up to your expectations. I have taken note of your valuable comments and will address these to continually monitor and improve the quality and services we offer.

Thank you for your feedback and I hope that you will give us the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Joel B

H2 Sant Cugat
#6 of 6 in Sant Cugat del Valles
Hotel Sant Cugat
#3 of 6 in Sant Cugat del Valles
BlueBay City Barcelona Sant Cuga...
#5 of 6 in Sant Cugat del Valles

Been to Holiday Inn Express Barcelona-Sant Cugat? Share your experiences!