“Closed 45 minutes early than advertised”

L'Ile aux Papillons
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I would like to properly rate this attraction but unfortunately, as has been our experience with other attractions during our recent France trip, the hours of operation are rather flexible...for the employees. We looked for the Ile Aux Papillons for quite a while as it is not easily located in the back of some industrial area. And the signage is confusing to say the least. Due to our challenging search we arrived at 6.45 pm, happy that the place was open until 7.30 pm as we learned from several locals as well as the Internet. Having visited several other butterfly conservatories we figured that 45 minutes would suffice for a visit. The first thing we spotted was a huge "FERME" sign which, even with my limited French, I knew means closed. No explanation for the early closure was posted so we went on our (less) merry way. Disappointing!

1  Thank Hexy

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Accidentally stumbled upon this. Lovely, amusing, educational, captivating for kids. Nice hour spent. However, a bit pricey?????

Reviewed 19 September 2013

We followed the signs on our way off the island and at one point almost gave up on finding the butterfly farm (we have plenty of experience of French signs suddenly deciding to no longer show the way to continue). However, we eventually found it in the middle of some random industrial site so duly parked up. On seeing the price we balked somewhat, but decided that we'd treat ourselves to tickets at €8 each after all.
The lady in the shop was friendly and helpful despite her total lack of English and my pitiful grasp of French. There was some confusion initially about how to use my credit card, but she remained steadfastly cheerful, and with the help of a French family who had just arrived, we managed to pay.
Inside the heat and humidity, necessary for the butterflies, hit you immediately, but you soon got used to it once the beauty of the butterflies sunk in. There were many large and colourful species flying around, all very accessible as the enclosure was quite small. There were a couple of feeding stations loaded with fruit where you could watch them closely, but many of them are happy to land on you and allow you to get close up whilst feeding on the many beautiful flowers.
There are some Chinese Quail wandering about freely, web-eating birds to keep the butterflies safe, and some lovely carp to feed.
You can view the "hatcheries" where the cocoons are kept, and even watch the fully formed butterflies emerge.
There are some incredible moths that sleep during the day just opposite the entrance.
I spent about an hour and a half here, but only because I went round twice in order to get lots of photos.
Kids will find it fascinating (and the English translations for everything will be helpful for visitors), ideal for wildlife lovers, and good opportunities for photographers.

3  Thank SillySuffolkGirl
Reviewed 8 September 2013

It's not the cheapest trip at about €8 per person, but it is the best Butterfly park I've been to (this is the 4th). There are good educational signs around the paths in French and English. There are many butterflies as expected, plus some very cute quail birds on the floor to catch spiders (and amuse the adults). There is also a pond with carp in it.

You should allow about an hour in with the butterflies.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

Went there on August 21st with my wife & 3 children. I had this vision in my head that because we were going to see butterflies that I was going to be in a lovely meadow. Instead you end up in a small industrial estate in an warehouse type building. (That was the strange bit).
Once you are in the section where the butter flies are you come to the wonderful bit. You forget that you are in an warehouse. There is a path winding its way around the warehouse and there is lush tropical vegetation everywhere. There are butterflies fluttering in all area. There are descriptions in French with English translation (which are very educational and great to read to the kids). It is obvious that there is a lot of care an attention goes into the place and it must be expensive to operate. We spent an hour there. For the 5 of us it was about €28(ish). I felt it was good (if you are in the frame of mind for it) and the kids of course were delighted. Much better & cheaper in my mind than the Aquarium "Sealand" (I did a review on that as well if you want to have a look).

1  Thank LyrDaly