“Absolutely amazing experience with Gerald & company”
Review of Loire Valley Uncorked - CLOSED

Loire Valley Uncorked
More attraction details
Owner description: From a Loire Valley wine-making family, Gérald, a bilingual French wine professional hosts private half-full day wine tours & tastings at niche organic and biodynamic Domaine's. Available as a day trip from Paris with collections from Angers and Saumur. Sharing inherent knowledge and a lifetime’s passion, alongside Gérald discover all aspects of wine-making, the annual work undertaken preparing the vines, the methods applied to create the blanc, rosé, rouge and sparkling wines, before concluding with a comprehensive and technical wine tasting. **At Bistrot Les Tontons experience a further wine tasting of Natural wines, accompanied by a lunch of freshly prepared local and regional cuisine, (**wine tour dependant).
Reviewed 3 February 2012

My finacee and I met my Dad, his financee, and my aunt & uncle in the Loire valley for vacation last fall. The trip was top-notch, but nothing else compared to our time with the good people at Uncorked. Gelard is fluent in both French and English, and his ability to explain his craft to relatively unexperienced winos (like my fiancee and myself) was nothing short of remarkable. He's a very personable, laid back but sharp witted host who makes a quick connection with his guests. The tasting room itself is very smart but also inviting enough to make one feel really comfortable.

The wine at Domaine de la Paleine is fantastic. I'm usually a reds guy myself, but I must admit that the whites, roses, sparkling, and sweets were exceptional.

If you can, make sure to also check out Gerald's wine bar & bistro. Best lunch I had in France, hands down.

I couldn't recommend Loire Valley Uncorked highly enough. It was one of those days I'll remember for all of my life.

LoireValleyUncorked, Owner at Loire Valley Uncorked, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2012

After my direct contact in February thanking you kindly I felt it appropriate to respond online. Gérald had great fun with you all at the Domaine and at our wine bar & bistro. As you experienced, stepping into a French vignerons world, visiting the vines, le chai, les caves and concluding in la salle de dégustation, Gérald comprehensively unravels the ‘how, why & when’, behind wine creation and introduces the extensive range of Loire Valley wines produced at the Domaine. We are very touched to read it will be a day you’ll always remember, thank you once again. Mille mercis, Sarah-Jane & Gérald

Reviewed 2 February 2012

Wow! What an amazing experience. I did the Loire Valley Uncorked experience back in October with my fiance, his father, his father's fiance, and his aunt and uncle. We STILL talk about the experience ALL the time whenever we mention our trip to France. Our day with Gerald was by FAR the highlight of the trip. From the moment we arrived on the vineyard grounds, we felt so incredibly welcome. Gerald's knowledge is unparalleled. I learned more about wine in the day I spent there than I had in my entire life up until that day... and I had so much fun doing it! We were given a wonderful tour of the property where all of the wine is made, and the process was explained in a way that was easy for me to understand. After we saw all of the grounds, we were taken into a nice room where we spent a while with Gerald tasting all of his wonderful wines and sparklings! It might sound funny to say this, but my life really was changed that day. My mind became so much more open to trying more wines -- both red and white. My fiance and I enjoyed the wines so much that we have ordered several bottles since we left. We are living and studying in the UK, so it is possible to order the wines quite easily. The dessert wine was particularly amazing; I was pleasantly surprised that I could find a dessert wine so enjoyable.

After we tasted wines, Gerald took us to his restaurant where we had one of our favorite meals of all time! Not only can Gerald do wine like no one else, but his recipes are OUT OF THIS WORLD! Sometimes we look back at the pictures of the delicious dishes we enjoyed at his restaurant just to remind us of how wonderful it was.

I do not exaggerate when I say that this was one of the best days I have ever had while traveling. Traveling is one of my passions, and thus I have done quite a bit of it when time and money allows. This stands at the top of all of my experiences. It is worth every minute and every penny you spend. It comes highly recommended from myself and from all of those who shared the experience with me. I would do it again in a heartbeat, and I hope to someday!

A special thanks to Gerald for such a truly memorable day. Gerald is such a wonderful guy, and he runs a truly impressive business. Go visit him; you won't regret it!

2  Thank EliB123

After my direct thank you for taking the time to write such a heartfelt and detailed review in February, I felt an online response was appropriate. Gérald thoroughly enjoyed his time with you all and reading your day at the Domaine and our wine bar & bistro was a ‘highlight’ and ‘still talked about experience’ is very touching. Transporting our guests into a French vignerons world, dispelling any pretences, explaining the technicalities of wine making and enabling the subtle differences of each wine sampled to be recognised is the essential ingredient of our wine tastings & tours. Thank you once again for such a lovely review. Mille mercis, Sarah-Jane & Gérald

Reviewed 31 January 2012

We could not have asked for a better experience for being immersed in the French wine culture in the Loire Valley, or even in France as a whole. Gerald is local to the area and he and his wife, Sarah-Jane, are such lovely people, open, charming, fun and knowledgeable. Gerald is a true connoisseur in the most positive way and takes you to visit not only vineyards but to meet the winemakers with whom you can discuss their wines and what is special and particular about each one. We covered a number of areas in the Loire including Savennieres, Saumur, Anjou, and Bourgueil including many others. Gerald also took us to his wonderful restaurant Bistrot Les Tonton in Saumur where we had a delicious, hearty lunch of Boeuf Bourguignon. This was the trip of a lifetime and we only hope that we are like cats and have eight more lives to be able to visit again and again. FYI: This is an all day very intensive tour.

1  Thank Richard K
LoireValleyUncorked, Owner at Loire Valley Uncorked, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2012

Thank you so much for your exceptionally kind review and for sharing your great photos. Gérald had a fabulous full day with you both, introducing you to his vigneron friends at their Domaines, walking amongst his Grandfathers vines, sampling wines from a vast number of Val de Loire AOC appellations and their different vintage years while discussing in depth the technicalities of wine creation - Le Grand Wine Tour is certainly an intensive day! Thank you once again for sharing your experience and too, for the thoughtful gift you presented us with (wine notes were taken), Sarah-Jane & Gérald

Reviewed 5 November 2011

I was traveling with two of my friends to the Loire Valley and had the pleasure of getting a private guided tour with Gerald. We had a fantastic time thanks to his insider's knowledge, connections and passion for wine and the industry. Lunch at Gerald's bistro in Saumur was superb as well - fresh, homemade and tasty. I highly recommend doing the 'Le Grand Wine' tour that encompasses a visit to 3 domaines and countless wine tastings. You also get to meet the winemakers and learn so much about their methods. I would certainly return for another tour with Gerald.

1  Thank A T
See more reviews
Reviewed 31 October 2011

We arranged a Wine Tour as a corporate event for our clients and it could not have been better organised.

Both Sarah and Gérald were there to greet our 32 guests and provide a warm welcome upon arrival. The tour was relaxed, but well conducted and very informative. Gérald is extremely knowledgable and his passion for his subject most apparent. After an enjoyable tour of the vines and the caves, our group began the serious business of the day, la degustation!

We were all amazed by the quality and selection of different wines available, with a wide variety to suit all palates. It was certainly the most comprehensive wine tasting we have experienced, having sipped our way through a sample of reds, whites, sparkling and dessert wines.

We would highly recommend the wine tour, whether it be to individuals, or to a large group such as ours. Sarah-Jayne and Gérald were perfect hosts and we were able to leave everything in their capable hands and relax and enjoy the experience along with our guests.

A most enoyable and memorable day. Thank you!

1  Thank WWoftheW