“Flea bites at night”

Mercure Lyon Charbonnieres
Reviewed 2 November 2013

I should start this review saying that I have been in this hotel end of July and really enjoyed it. However, this time I have been there with my whole family (including two little children) and it was a nightmare. The room was far too small to start with. The service at dinner was the most arrogant I have ever experienced in my life. They made us really feel not welcome there as this hotel seems to be rather targeting business guests only. However, they had a special children dish on their menu. It was so incredibly small (a bit of fish with two spoons of vegetables for € 10!) that even my 2 year old little girl started crying when she had finished it in two seconds as she was still hungry. Housekeeping seemed not to work properly either: we found a hair in one of the towels and blood stains on the bed sheet which was on the sofa bed. But the most shocking happened when we woke up the next morning. We started scratching ourselves and didn't understand how this could happen as it was beginning of October already and we had not heard or seen any mosquitos. When we came back home the itchiness got even worse so that we went to the dermatologist. She diagnosed flea bites and gave us lots of medication, told us to wash everything we had in the hotel at 60 °C etc. We have terribly regretted to have stayed at this hotel and will never do it again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Clara077
Damien C, Directeur général at Mercure Lyon Charbonnieres, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2013

Dear Sir,

My team and I took in consideration every comments you note about your stay on the website Tripadvisor.

We are deeply sorry that this second stay didn't meet your expectations. Concerning the restaurant, the chef will chnage the quantities in the 10€ kid menu.

However, we are very surprised about what you said regarding bedrooms as we do everything to keep them clean and hygienic. That is why we have a contract with a company that controls our hotel room’s cleaning procedures every trimester. Nevertheless we are not perfect, that is why we carefully check the room 202 where you were staying and haven’t found any insects or pest that you describe in your comments, after you left.

You can be sure that our everyday goal is to offer best quality services.

Best Regards.

Reviewed 20 October 2013

It's an old structure, refurbished. Rooms are clean and little. Old shower! No problem for car parking. Anyhow the breakfast is nice and good: finally I had a big hot water pot for my tea and not only a cup! Perfect for business: right cost.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Damien C, Directeur général at Mercure Lyon Charbonnieres, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2013

Dear Sir,

The hotel team and I are pleased to see that your stay was pleasant. We work every day to make our customers stays as enjoyable as possible.

We are looking forward to welcome you in Lyon again.

Best Regards,

Damien COMBET

Reviewed 7 May 2013

I stayed there one night. It is a quite old mercure, I would guess 80's building, small 3 floors but no lift. Breakfast is ok. There is a restaurant that I did not tried, but which offered rather attractive meal and wines. Staff was at the level, polite and efficient. Good for business and short stays

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 March 2013

I stayed for 2 nights on business to Lyon. It is a nice small property which would suits the business travelers. It is typical Mercure (Accor) group small business hotel. I found breakfast okay with enough choices of drinks, cheese and breads with couple of hot options. The room was okay but clean.

The upside - hotel offer free wi-fi and staff is friendly. Most of them can speak reasonable English (which is always a plus in France)

The downsite - hotel has no elevator, so if you have heavy suitcases you need muscles to lift them.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 October 2012

The staff at this hotel are remarkable. The are helpful in everyway. I go here regularly on business and will continue to do so. The only issue is the matress. One side of the matress had such a big indent that I kept rolling into it during the night. Time to be replaced! Otherwise facilities are good.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 May 2012

good hotel, but no elevator , we had to pull our bags for 2 floors without assistance, room is small but ok, good parking

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 September 2011

Very beautiful and clean, restaured hotel. People very helpful and kind. Clean room and very best quality (TV cable, Wi-Fi for free, fresh drinks...).

Restaurant was good, and breakfast good, but expensive.

Very good professional stay in this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank BCLV4
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charbonnieres-les-Bains
Best Western Plus Hotel & Spa de Chassieu
Pavillon de la Rotonde
Pavillon de la Rotonde
#1 of 3 in Charbonnieres-les-Bains
Hotel Gatsby by HappyCulture

Been to Mercure Lyon Charbonnieres? Share your experiences!