“Funtional and Friendly”
Review of Utopia Hotel

Utopia Hotel
“Funtional and Friendly”
Reviewed 26 January 2014

I've stayed in the Utopia several times when visiting SHAPE, it's a very modern hotel with more emphasis on looks than ergonomics, the rooms are dark and the bathrooms have a window to the main room with no curtain, fortunately I was alone. There is always a sewer smell at the main entrance to the hotel which I thought would have been fixed by now. The bar is good and sells good Belgian beer.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Andy C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Ringwood, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 January 2014

The Utopia is an attractive modern building and is very conveniently located for SHAPE. My room was a good size and the bed was comfortable. However the room was decorated in very dark colours, and the lights were few and dim, so it was very gloomy. The bathroom was fine although the loo did smell a bit. The room has controls for the heating/air con system but these did not appear to operate in a consistent or comprehensible manner.

As others have observed, the rooms have a refrigerator locked away in an unventilated cupboard in the wardrobe, which gets very hot and stops the refrigerator from working properly. How do they not understand that refrigerators need ventilation?

The staff were pleasant, friendly and helpful.

As things stand there are probably better alternatives in the area.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank k2397
Cheshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 December 2013

First impressions were a contemporary hotel in a nice setting, however when I checked in I was given a room that had a damaged door which did not lock.

The receptionist seemed quite surprised that I had an issue with this, after a short delay I was given another room.

The bathrooms had a really bad sewer smell which was dreadful considering the price, the restaurant served food that I found quite pleasant but was quite expensive.

Try the mercure across the road as it is a significant improvement, both are in a good location for SHAPE so choose wisely.

Room Tip: another hotel
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank MarkinCheshire

Travellers are raving about these Masnuy-Saint-Jean hotels

Amsterdam
Reviewed 29 October 2013

We stayed for an autumn weekend in this hotel in 2 rooms. The hotel is nicely situated in a small forrest. The rooms are spacious and light but show some wear and tear. 1 room had fancy shower cabin with lots of functions but with no light in the display it became an uncontrollable monster. The other room had a shower in the bath but too low for a northern european and water went everywhere. Breakfast was ok. Swimming pool is nicely situated. No hooks for towels/clothing is unpractical, bathrobe and fresh towels are not provided. A pity you had to pay for the sauna, it should be included in the rate. Staff were helpful and kind.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2013

I stayed here whilst working at Shape. The location is very close to the rear exit of the base. The Hotel is very new and quite trendy. The food in the evening is very good, but a bit expensive. The breakfast is OK, but a bit limited.

The one annoying thing was the toilet flush. It seems that they switch some sort of pump off at night and don't switch it on in the morning until approx 7.30. This meant that on a number of occasions during my 4 night stay I could not flush the loo.

It is located in the countryside, but you cannot easily walk near the hotel as there is quite a bit of traffic, so I would suggest that this hotel is no good for anyone without a car (or bike)

I stayed in room 210. The free internet signal in the room was poor. I had no phone signal in my room and had to go outside the front of the hotel to call

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank RunningBazza
Mons, Belgium
Reviewed 14 May 2013

Ok, this place is in a good spot, looks great, food is top notch, nice beds, and is really clean.

The frustrating part was that the small inexpensive stuff really ruined our stay. The staff are extremely friendly, but unfortunately seem to be the brunt of poor management and cost cutting measures.

Ok, so to start we made reservations ahead if time and got a confirmation. After travelling overseas for approx 20+ hours, without any rest, we arrived to find that they were overbooked and no longer had our room available. When asked about our confirmed reservation, the staff apologized and said they tried to call us an hour earlier. They ended up putting us up in the Mercure across the road for one night. Upon our return the next day they apologized again and put us in an upgraded room. This was nice.

The first morning we woke up looking forward to a nice shower but found that the shower fixture was really cheap and put more water on the walls and floor then it does a person. After a half an hour fiddling with it we managed to get the hand wand to stay put in order to take an 'ok' shower.

Hours later, we came back from a busy day and found that there was a sewer smell coming from the sink and tub drains. After opening the window, running the water and plugging the drains did we get the room to smell better.

Now that we're in the room, we started to try living in it. Here's what we found:
- no tissue / Kleenex
- small provided shelf safe was not secured to anything. I could carry it out with one hand. Useless.
- the closet when opened gave off heat!? After openning up the lower cabinet, I found a compact fridge was hidden in it but was overheating as it had no ventilation. It was cool inside and toaster over warm on the outside. It ran continuously fighting itself. I had to use my shoe to hold open the cabinet door in order to give it air and the motor a rest while we tried to sleep.
- toilet was in a, typical for the region, separate water closet with its own sink. This is ok, but after using the sink to wash your hands you had to walk to the bathroom to get to a towel to dry you hands. No towel or rack it the WC.
- new building, but you'd think that after 8 months of it being open they'd finish the fixing things and buy a few necessities.
- no iron or ironing board in room. Now I'm ok with this normally, but when I went to call the front desk to have them brought up to my room more went wrong. The phone came without any directory, ph book, speed dial, or even any hint as to how to call the front desk. Zero didn't work. Ok, so I went for the short walk to get one myself. Yay! The front desk had an Iron. Cool, I thought success. Nope! Apparently, they don't have any Ironing boards. The clerk politely told me matter of factly that they don't have any and suggested I use the table in my room and use a towel to protect it. Huh? Ok, I'm resourceful and perhaps it's my fault for waiting until bed time to iron my clothes for tomorrow. It was certainly too late for me to drive to the store to buy one to use in their Hotel! Now using a table in the room would be great it I had one!! I tried the small end table but found my dress pants and the towel just didn't fit well. I had to iron my clothes on the Floor!!
- Internet often failed. Staff seemed to have to reset the system a few times.

So now I can't wait to leave.

Oh, FYI, the Mercure despite being not as shiny and new as the Utopia, it did have a nice working Shower, Kleenex, didn't smell like sewer when you came into your room, and the Internet didn't fail.

Stupid me, I should have followed through with my threat of staying at the Mercure when the Utopia initially messed up my reservation. I guess the Utopia and its beauty blinded me into coming back.

Seriously, the staff are excellent, but it seems that Management cut simple things to save money. Well, they just lost this customer's money forever. I'm checking out early.

• Stayed May 2013
4 Thank bkbriere
Waterloo, Belgium
Reviewed 13 March 2013

My partner and I are Americans newly relocated to Belgium. We have resided at the Utopia Hotel since February 14, 2013. We are in temporary housing until we set up our new home.

The staff is amazing, and they have met our regular needs as well as special needs that go above and beyond what the hotel normally offers. The house keeping staff provides for a welcoming feeling each time we return to our clean room. The desk staff is personable and accommodating. The restaurant is fantastic! We have tried every option on the menu.

Just this morning, the hotel manager assisted us as we tried to get into our snow covered car. The doors were frozen shut, but the manager was persistent and helped us get out of our predicament.

Wonderful hospitality. I highly recommend Utopia Hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Rachel K
Also consider these accommodations in or near Masnuy-Saint-Jean
Best Western Hotel Horizon
Dream
#2 of 8 in Mons
Hotel Lido Mons Centre
Best Western Plus Orange Hotel

Been to Utopia Hotel? Share your experiences!