Rijckendael Hotel
  • Fitness centre
Hotel Albert(Schaerbeek)
US$76
US$62
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 14 June 2012

I recently spent 5 days in the Rijckendael Hotel and I will never return. Firstly when we arrived there was nobody at the reception desk. Eventually somebody sauntered in and begrudgingly checked us in. This was the start of many bad accounts with the staff in this hotel. I do not want to spend my time listing them but for what could be a fairly nice and easy to access hotel has turned into a nightmare due to the rude and unhelpful staff!

Rather look at one of the friendlier hotels in the region!!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 May 2012

I have stayed with my boyfriend when we wanted to visit Brussels.

In general is this a nice hotel, good breakfast with pleanty of choice.
Room was a little bit old but not a big deal for me, bed was good and bathroom clean. Minibar and TV. 24h reception.

When we booked this hotel, we wanted to go by car because it was with free parking.
At the end we went by train, so every day we traveled by tram (easily) to the city centre of Brussels).
Do not expect any explanation about the city from the hotel staff they said that they do not know.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 April 2012

Staying at the area is weird at the beginning, as it is residential. It was good as the offices I went were very closed by. The hotel is small with four floors, a resutaurant and what is an always-empty bar. The best was free WiFi, but is is only available at the lobby. The rooms are not so small, but with an ugly décor. It has an old TV and when I arrived it was lacking the telephone. The good thing of the zone is the quietness at night. Room heating works well to and water preassure at the shower is good.
What was really a nice surprise was breakfast. It was very tasty and the breakfast room is very nice. The restaurant is ok.
Service is uneven, from efficient (people working on Sunday12th) to really lazy. I asked for a restaurant recommendation in a nearby location and said I should dine at the hotel! Room cleaning fell drastically after the first night. I never got new sheets. I forgot my cellphone charger and adapter, wrote the hotel and never got an answer. It just shows they don’t care for their customers.
I think it is used for local couples for weekend gateways, that’s okay. No more than two nights.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank bbffpp
Reviewed 12 October 2011

I stayed there many times for a number of years. Great value in a good location, breakfast and parking included, free internet, movies, pants press and clean, but upkeep and maintence is lacking. Probably built as a 4-star and later sold, every visit there are more bangs, dents and scratches. Last visit a few weeks ago, they had conference tables and chairs in the hallway to my room I had to walk around and the ceiling above the shower was cracking and peeling. When I checked out the next morning, the hotel woman stunk of body odour so much the lobby reeked. Restaurant good but too, too expensive with no eating alternatives in the neighbourhood. 2 meals of 2 porc chops, fries, salad and 4 beers were 80.00 without tip.
Bottom line: Would stay there again a few more times as is, but eat somewhere else before you arrive

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Finnley
Reviewed 26 September 2011

Stayed there Second week of September for a business trip. The hotel is located 10 walking minutes from the tram station Esplanade (although finding it at first is not completely trivial).

Overall the hotel is a standard business hotel. I cannot comment on price, as it was booked for me through our office, although I remember hearing that "this one isn't charging outrageous prices!" when my colleague was making the arrangements.

The hotel is reasonably clean, but small things here and there require a bit more maintenance: like the overflow drain cover in the bathtub becoming undone or a reading light having failed in the bed room and not being replaced or the sheer curtain starting to become rather dusty. It was certainly not the end of the world, but a hotel should do better.

Breakfast on the other hand was very nice. I am spoiled rotten with breakfast in German hotels and I like to treat friends and myself to upscale brunches every now and then, so the standard is quite high with me. And I have been quite satisfied. There was a good selection of bread and pasty, jams, cereals, fruit salad, bacon and eggs (nice and fluffy, and not salted so everyone can salt to taste), yogurt and cold cuts and I am probably missing something. I have not been disappointed. It may get a bit crowded, as the breakfast area is not very large, but the waiters were prompt in bringing coffee and clearing the used utensils.

Bottom line: I might consider it for a week end trip to Brussels, because of the location, but I'd have to look at the price.

Room Tip: Rooms out to the back may experience some noise from airplanes (although I slept like a rock!)
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business