“Hope to be back” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Castlebaldwin
Donegal
“Hope to be back”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

We stayed here for our first wedding anniversary and brought our dog along, who was instantly welcomed by the hotel's lovely dog, Roxy. We received a complimentary upgrade to a spacious room with beautiful view over the lake and countryside - it was gorgeous at night with the moonlit lake. We took a few gentle strolls and easy country drives around the area and enjoyed a snack and dinner in the hotel. The delicious home baking really made the breakfast.
If you're looking for excitement and nightlife, I wouldn't recommend this hotel but we got exactly what we wanted - a very relaxing, easygoing few days away with our dog in countryside surroundings. It was nice to see the owner around at mealtimes for that extra personal touch.
Hope to be back!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a lake view
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Marie D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Waterford, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

We had two rooms, unfortunately the room with the best view had the smallest double bed. Wifi was only available around reception. Most of the disappointments were overcome by the great food. The food is simple with good taste.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Joe D
Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

This was my first time to this hotel, I was amazed by the quick check in quick and efficient was taken to the room by concierge. The walk to the room was not long as mentioned by previous posters. Although it would not be suitable for people with disabilities. We had a superior room and it was just that, massive room and so cosy, we had private balcony absolutely beautiful. I can only say the food was of top top quality you would only see similar on MasterCard. Amazing :) the staff were so friendly and could not do enough. It was a last minute decision to go so didn't try out the spa but if it is anything like th rest of the hotel I can only imagine. Can't wait to return. The hotel was not hard to find and very well sign posted. If I had to make one suggestion to the hotel it would be to have a small shop onsitebstocking chocolate an magazines as the nearest extra small station 11km away. I have not stopped talking about the service and food since returning and I will be back very very soon. If you want a quiet tranquil retreat this is the place to go. Two or three days may to long for some people it is remote. Loved it :) :)

Room Tip: Go for a superior room.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Mayo, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

My partner and I stayed here a few nights ago for one night. It is in a fantastic setting with a fabulous view. Our room was lovely with a great view. The room was clean and well presented, thanks to housekeeping!
All the staff are very professional and polite.
We had a snack after we arrived and we also had dinner here. Dinner was amazing and my partner said it was possibly the best meal he had ever had! He had lamb which was cooked perfectly and I had the duck with very tasty veg. I love when a meal is not rushed and this meal was just that! Taking in the wonderful views while having dinner was an added bonus.
Thank you very much for a very relaxing and enjoyable stay!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
Cavan, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Had a 3 night stay in this hotel, room very clean bed extremely comfortable, daily supplies of bottled water & biscuits nice touch also turn down service in the evening if required. The location is lovely overlooking lake and walking trails if you are energetic enough, very tranquil setting away from the hustle and bustle.
The service in the Restaurant was excellent and the food both breakfast and dinner were superb. I also had a spa treatment which included a light lunch, it was wonderful and the staff and facilities in the spa were first class. Moira hotel owner was on hand to chat and attend to guests needs without being intrusive, in conclusion I would highly recommend this hotel

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank Agnes21_11
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

I have stayed here three times, having stayed in a lot of hotels throughout Ireland I would have to say it is absolute value for money a little bit of heaven. Staff so friendly not a spec of dirt to be found in rooms on three occasions food amazing, I would highly recommend it now it's not a place for a good night out its a place to sit back and relax quietly but for that you will not be disappointed if you are I am very surprised. We'll done to all involved for providing such a excellent standard of accommodation at very competitive price. Don't drop your standards.

• Stayed July 2014
      Rooms
3 Thank Paradisecaroline
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

Stayed here on a midweek break, with one dinner included. We found the hotel to be generally relaxing and nice (although its a fair way from the main road so getting up the steep hill in winter might be less fun!)
As other reviewers have noted, its a bit like a B&B that has multiplied in size - and as such the internal layout is strange and a bit awkward.
The restaurant food was good without being great. I eat out a lot and like to think i've a very decent palate at this point, and I have to admit I wasn't blown away but was satisfied enough.
The breakfast was fine, and again unremarkable. For a place that seems to pride itself on food, I would have expected better. Buffet style and the food suffered for it.
The lounge/bar is in my opinion one of the better features of the hotel - extremely warm and cozy. The only let down here is that the bar food menu is extremely limited and somewhat random - you couldn't cobble together a dinner there if you didn't fancy the main dining room. This is a shame, as I think that if the bar food was more thought out and extensive, we would have spent more money in the hotel.
My main bone of contention was the spa area. Unless you're having treatments, they charge €10 for spa access for the duration of your stay. This, in principle at least isn't something I mind, especially if the facilies are up to scratch, but I'm sorry to say they weren't. The entire thing consists of a small sauna, steam room, an outdoor hot-tub (I use this term loosely) and a few loungers. The hot tub is like something a nouveau riche neighbour might have had in their back garden during the celtic tiger - certainly not suitable for commercial purposes. We attempted to use it on the evening of our arrival (mid afternoon in summer) and only lasted about 5 minutes because it got too cold. Apparently they fill it in the morning and it just loses heat throughout the day - hardly up to scratch. The facilities also seem to close at or before 6pm, and one day weren't even open at all, so on this basis, I objected to paying for it at check out, and in fairness, they staff took it off our bill without much fuss.
Overall, I thought we had good value for money as it wasn't terribly expensive, however if they want to be considered a spa hotel, they have a long way to go.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sarah H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castlebaldwin
Castle Dargan
The Glasshouse
The Glasshouse
#4 of 8 in Sligo
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,538 reviews

Been to Cromleach Lodge Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!