“Nice bungalows, secure and quiet enough”

Don Det Bungalows & Restaurant
Don Det Bungalows & Restaurant
Reviewed 19 February 2013

We were happy to find some nice, secure bungalows that appeared to be a step above many of the others we walked past and in a quieter part of sunrise strip. These cost a bit more than some of the others, but had private bathrooms, mosquito nets, private shower etc. There are hammocks to chill out on, a shop next door, a restaurant sitting over the river and comfy accommodation. They have bikes for rent here too.

The monkey chained to the tree was a bit depressing.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 28 January 2013

When I look back on my stay at the bungalows of mister Phao, I get a warm feeling again. The bungalows were very basic but so perfect. Especially with the hammocks on the terrace of the bungalows. While chilling out in the hammock, you will enjoy the beautiful riverside view. This is the Lao you are searching for: no luxury, great smiles and hospitality from mister Phao and his family, a pig under the restaurant, chilling out under the stars, ... It was the best stay of our trip trough south-east Asia.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 November 2012

Mr Phaos riverview guesthouse was in a beautifully quiet location everlooking the river perfectly, centrally based between the bridge and the busier northern side. The hut was basic (but what do you expect on Don Det) and Mr Phao and his family were just lovely. And the food cooked by Mr Phaos daughter was THE best I've ever tasted. We were addicted to the coconut curry and the sticky rice was cooked to perfection. I would definitely recommend this place and I just hope I get the chance to return!

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed 13 November 2012

My fiancé and I stayed here in October for 3 nights, the bungalows from what we saw are the nicest on the island, they are clean and safe and have their own balcony with hammock and chairs. You do need your own padlock for the front door. Annie the owner is very nice and helpful, we rented bikes at a reasonable price and ate in the restaurant many times, nice and good value. You wont get 5 star on this island but I think if you're looking for a little bit of a flashpacker place this is for you!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 September 2012

I have stayed on Don Det many times and although i find the rooms over my budget. The restarant is first class and the owner Annie very helpfull. On a island of little resorses she try's very hard to help sort to the needs of all.also i have found she try's to get the best bus tickets avalable and as we all know it is in laos and its not the usa !

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 June 2012

I got to Don Det... The bungalows are ok but as I sookr to others it's not as cheap olus my bedroom had a funny smell, no lock in the door (you have to have your own), found a couple of bugs in bed and bathroom.
You will survive but there are other places like this, cheaper and looking to the river which at least makes the place nicer :)
I wouldnt go back but if you have traveled through Laos, you know what you can expect!

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank Orellanateresa
Reviewed 5 March 2012

My husband and I were originally planning on staying 3 nights. The first night we couldn't sleep because the restaurant and some middle aged man, that were drinking all afternoon and all night long, were too loud!!!! The loud music went off by midnight, the service ladies stayed for about 30 more minutes cleaning and screaming at each other. After they were done cleaning, they turned on the lights of our deck (which lit up our whole room). At this point my husband and I couldn't go back to sleep anymore. Finally, I had to go out the room to turn the lights of our deck off. We left the next morning! Unfortunately we bought the bus tickets from the boss lady (who I liked - she seemed very sweet and hard working) but for some reason she lied to us about the bus. She told me in very clear English that the bus went directly across the Cambodian border, no bus change, and the bus would take us to Kratie without changing. We changed buses three times (I know that's typical but why did she lie? No bus goes directly and she must have known that). The last change they just dumped us off at a local bus station and left. We stopped every couple of kilometers in a microbus with 26 people in it (no joke, the driver shared his seat with someone - it was like the bus at the circus). That was actually a fun adventure but I don't appreciate being lied to. Some guesthouses do that knowing that they'll never see the tricked guest again. I hope this posting will deter other guesthouse managers from treating us like cattle to be pushed further down the tourist track.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple