“Perfect base to explore Bohol.”
Review of Nuts Huts Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Loboc
Nuts Huts Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Loboc
Munich, Germany
“Perfect base to explore Bohol.”
Reviewed 7 April 2014

The town of Loboc is very centrally located on Bohol. It's very easy to access some of the main sights, like the Tarsier sanctuary or the chocolate hills, from there.
Nuts huts is a few kilometers north of Loboc. It's set inside a quiet, remote and beautiful valley.
While we were there, you could still see the effects of the earthquake that hit Bohol in late 2013. Some of the bungalows were in ruins.
They still managed to keep the place going and provided a great service.
Motorbike rental, free and extensive information about sights and how to reach them, together with those atmospheric, cozy cottages and a restaurant catering some of the best food in all of the Philippines.
Great place, great hosts. Highly recommended!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Der_Schorsch

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 3 April 2014

My boyfriend and I visited in December 2013 for two nights and had a great time here. Actually it was one of the most memorable parts of our trip through Negros and Bohol.

After spending some time at the Tarsier Sanctuary we took public transport, which was kind of slow, but surprisingly direct and scenic. The place is fairly well-known locally, so we didn't have trouble getting there. After we left, we made our way to the Chocolate Hills for a quick motorbike tour. Our time here fit very well into our sight seeing and scuba/snorkeling itinerary.

There are some serious (but picturesque) steps going down to Nuts Huts from the dirt road, as well as a flight of steps between the restaurant and the huts. If you are able to climb stairs (and carry your bags), it is a nice break from sleeping on beaches. But I think this would be a hardship if you have any trouble getting up and down.

We found the staff to be friendly and our room cozy. The food was delicious! During our trip we were seriously in need of some vegetables, and Nuts Huts came through for us. It was a nice change of pace to have some fresh veggies thrown into our predominantly meat-fish-rice diet. We had a tangy chicken soup that I still remember. The restaurant had some gorgeous views of the wall of trees across the river and a very cute white kitten named Ice. We spent some hours up there relaxing and drinking shakes.

Nuts Huts organizes some activities for those who are interested. During our stay we took a cave trek with another traveler (all in our mid-twenties), guided by a very nice guy named Pedro who lives across the river. It was strenuous: steep and slippery in the rain, but even though we aren't in great shape we managed. It is certainly not a walk in the park, though! We really enjoyed walking through the caves and learning a little bit about local plants. Bring a torch/flashlight if you can, but try not to disturb the bats!

We also got couple's massages and an hour in the sauna. It's not a polished luxury experience, but the massages were good and the sauna fun. I'd recommend this if you're spending a few days here and prefer the "quirky" to the "fancy," but if you're headed to a resort area known for spa treatments you would do just as well waiting.

I'm having a hard time remembering costs. I seem to remember the room being backpacker cheap, but the food being more expensive. I would say the value was very good, though.

Some of the huts were damaged by the earthquake, so the room count is down, but recovery was well under way by the time we arrived. The huts that were undamaged are perfectly intact, so we had no trouble at all in our room.

The environment was unique from the rest of our stay-- a river cutting through the jungle literally off the beaten track. For me, the amplified boats passing by were just part of the package. We like and value peace and quiet very much, but it was still kind of fun to get friendly hellos from nuns on karaoke boats. The sound of excellent cover bands and talented karaoke singers drifting in at all hours is a big part of my memories of the Philippines.

Overall our bit of exercise and healthy (but tasty) eating at Nuts Huts was a nice interlude in a trip that kept us primarily on beaches. I would recommend to anyone with a few days in the region.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Emi N
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 18 February 2014

Hi all travellers ,

I don't understand why there are all these good reviews on tripadvisor .
I found the staff indifferent at best ,the food pedestrian , the surroundings nice but noisy due to the constant passage of the river boats and the owner ....well !
Another writer -Pedro- already mentioned the disgusting proclivity of this guy Walter to annoy and harrass young female guests . I will suffice by vehemently telling him to not phisically bother me anymore . How disgusting !

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
18 Thank lisa b
Walter L, Owner at Nuts Huts Resort, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
Dear travelers,

I would like to address once more the ‘Lisa B from Bangkok’ review above, as Tripadvisor has given me this opportunity, this time focusing exclusively on points that matter to travelers. I would prefer to ignore this matter altogether, but this blot on an otherwise pretty neat Nuts Huts review record urges me to go the extra mile.

As for the personal allegations regarding the ‘immoral behavior’ of the owner, well, the degree of ‘truth’ (to put it elegantly) in those is crystal-clear both to reviewer and reviewed, and these bear absolutely no relevance to the main public of this travel site, say 99% of travelers heading to Bohol and Nuts Huts, so no more about this.

I would therefore like to address the issues of ‘indifferent staff’, ‘pedestrian food’, and the ‘nuisance of the loud river boats’ one by one, so as to give travelers a fair chance to make up their own mind.

By the way, I have contacted ‘Lisa B’ through the ‘ask Lisa B about Nuts Huts’ feature on the Tripadvisor site, asking ‘her’ to explain terms used in the review, such as ‘proclivity’, ‘pedestrian’ (in combination with food) etc.. to the benefit of all travelers (and myself) with a view to actually understanding what the review is really all about, and about the personal allegations, but so far no reply. It is a little strange, to say the least, that someone who felt the irrepressible urge to alarm travelers about certain issues in Nuts Huts, so suddenly disappears from the scene and does not further elaborate on the points made. So we will do that for ‘her’.

As far as I’m able to judge from smiles and enthusiastic reactions from guests currently staying in Nuts Huts, and during the preceding period from December 2013 up to now, not much seems to wrong with the food or service of the staff. In order to find out about quality appreciation, one looks at the guests, how service and food is received, much in the same way as you look at students in a classroom, rather than at the teacher, to find out whether some quality teaching is going on. When the students look focused and involved and happy, there must be some great teaching going on.

And as for the nuisance of the loud river boats, it seems to me ‘Lisa B’ is not really well-informed on recent developments in Loboc and around Nuts Huts since the earthquake in October 2013: the number of river boats has been drastically reduced since then. What’s more, most guests of Nuts Huts are happily touring Bohol – visiting Tarsier Centre and Chocolate Hills and other sites along the way – during the time river boats make their appearance from late morning to early afternoon, so it wouldn’t be the kind of nuisance ‘Lisa B’ seems to have experienced during her stay in Nuts Huts.

I would whole-heartedly like to invite travelers to come and find out for themselves how ‘indifferent’ the staff really is in Nuts Huts, and how ‘pedestrian’ the food exactly is – and about the river boats too. Guests at the moment seem to be very happy, and I would like to encourage travelers who have (had) the same experience in Nuts Huts to let other travelers know about it on this Tripadvisor site.

I have tried to keep this management response brief and it turned out pretty long again, in my enthusiasm not to miss out on any single detail that allows travelers to simply make up their own mind, as I understand that is what a travel site like Tripadvisor, and many others, is all about.

On a final note, it seems to me the ‘Lisa B’ review is often overlooked as guests keep on coming to Nuts Huts, so this response may equally be overlooked, and in a way that is a good thing so we can go back to focusing on points that really matter to travelers, and no distracting ‘side-issues’.
Shanghai, China
Reviewed 14 February 2014

I spent few days with some friends at Nuts Huts exploring the nearby jungle and other attractions.

Nuts Huts is really geared towards the backpacker crowd, it's difficult to reach if you're not travelling with a backpack since it's a 15 minute walk off the main road in bohol followed by a steep set of stairs. There is a restaurant with a great wide deck in the middle of the stairs with the reception, all the rooms are at the bottom of the stairs in various huts.

I stayed at the dorm, which was great value for money. It had mosquite nets setup for each bed.

The restaurant served ok food with very reasonable prices. The staff at the hostel were extremely helpful in providing useful information. The jungle cave trekking tours offered by the hostel were great value and with truly local guides, they are very much recommended.
They also offer a herbal sauna, and a zip line across the canyon is a walking distance away from the place. They have mountain bikes and kayaks for rent also.

the good:
+ great value for accomodation and restaurant
+ really nice tours and other services.
+ the restaurant deck offers both great views and atmosphere.

a minor gripe is the shared bathroom & shower used by the dorms is a little grimy, and inconvinient. There is also only a partial door that offers limited privacy. Restaurant boats travel back & forth through the nearby jungle river, blasting karaoke, though it's not something you can fault the hostel with.

Very much recommened backpacker hostel with unique location.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Lyon, France
Reviewed 18 January 2014 via mobile

After discovering Tarsier and the bohol region we decided to stop by Nuts Huts Resort.
A nice quiet and relaxing place.
The common area with hammoc bed and nice wood furniture perfect to enjoy the sunset.
Dinner was very nice, fresh and tasty.
The Room in the middle of the jungle was nice and very clean.
I would definitely recommend this place and hope to go back again.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank stephyni
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 January 2014

We spent a few nights as a couple in January 2014 and had a really nice stay, despite the torrential rain! The lounge area, overlooking the river is just right. Beautifully decorated with hammocks, day beds, board games, a ping pong table and good selection of tunes at a low volume, it's a great place to relax, meet other travellers and soak up the jungle vibe. Somehow this place manages to create a real backpacker ambience without being too tacky or too grimy. We loved the food too and so appreciative that it is kept at a reasonable price. With so many places in the Philippines charging PHP200 and upwards for mediocre dishes, it's so refreshing to get a good meal for two for a handful of pesos. There's lots around and lots of activities to keep you occupied. Staff are helpful and genuinely committed to creating a welcoming atmosphere.
Our room (dorm) was ok, a bit of a work in progress - could have used a lick of paint and some more hooks to hang things. Communal bathrooms were clean but lacked privacy due to the small saloon style doors, although the manager said he was thinking about replacing them. As others have probably mentioned be prepared for the steps - if you're really unfit or have any sort of leg injury or disability, this is not the place for you! However, if you're the outdoors type, you won't be disappointed by the location or the hiking and cycling possibilities around. Overall I would definitely recommend and return.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank James L
Reviewed 6 January 2014 via mobile

No worries in Nuts Huts. In the midst of the jungle I spent a very relaxed new years eve. During the day you can experience Bohol with all its adventures or just chill down, read and nap in one of the hammocks at the beautifully designed community terrace. The staff is really nice and offers good food ( also delicious vegetarian dishes), massages and umbrellas in case of tropic rain... Also the music, they played was really enjoyable, far from the kitschy noises you here in every cab and bar here around. Although, the stairs are quite a challenge, its definitely worth it!!!

Stayed January 2014
2 Thank Skrollan J
Also consider these accommodations in or near Loboc
Ocean Suites Boutique Hotel Bohol
Ocean Suites Boutique Hotel Boho...
#1 of 11 in Tagbilaran City
Stefanie Grace Paradise Inn
Loboc River Resort
Loboc River Resort
#1 of 3 in Loboc

Been to Nuts Huts Resort? Share your experiences!