“They are trying hard.”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Laxe
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“They are trying hard.”
Reviewed 27 September 2011

I wish I could give a wonderful review because the owners really do seem to be trying very hard to learn their new business. In fact they were super nice and super helpful in touring the area. But unfortunately I must be honest with my impression, but I'll try to take it easy on them:

First the good... The property is beautiful with very well kept grounds and buildings. Everything looks new and the furnishings in the hotel and rooms are really nice. The local area is green and cool and a great place to spend a long weekend or longer. We drove around and visited many of the beaches and light houses of the surrounding area and had a great time.

But now the bad... First, and worst of all were the scores of flies always hovering around the hotel. Not just a few, but many at all times. And these weren't typical house flies, these were farm flies (from the farm accross the street). The difference between the two is that house flies run from people while farm flies are used to farm animals and so don't run from people, but rather try to land on them like they do to cows and pigs. The result is the most annoying flies you've ever encountered.

Next was the maid service: Certainly this isn't a resort hotel, but there are a few things that I expect from the maids at all hotels, which is primarily to clean up the room and to replace things that are used. Well, the maid did sort of okay on the clean up part, although I'm quite sure that the floors weren't cleaned every day if at all. But she utterly failed on the replacing things task. In 4 nights she never replaced the shower soap or shampoo, even after the soap was down to the size of a bottle cap and the shampoo was emply. She also never replaced any of the coffee packs, tea bags, or sugar cubes that were with the in-room water heater. It was very obvious that we were using them up since we left the trash obviously in sight on the table, but she simply cleaned up the mess and replaced nothing. And finally, she never replaced the liquid insert for the mosquito killer machine that was in the room (this is a device used in Europe to kill bugs in your room at night via a plug in poison mist dispenser since Spain has yet to discover screens for their windows). So this machine was very needed because of all the bugs in the room, but it was empty when we arrived, and despite placing its clearly empty liquid insert on the table for her to see 2 days in a row, instead of replacing it, she actually re-inserted the very obviously empty insert back in the machine and left it for us. This was pretty much like a slap in the face from her, and so the following day I actually snuck into another unoccupiued room and stole the one from there.

And finally a few other points that bothered me:
-There was no phone anywhere to be found, not in the rooms nor in the lobby nor anywhere near the hotel. This was very much a problem since my cell phone didn't work over there.
-Also, there was no internet in the rooms, but there was wireless in the lobby/lounge area. This definitely was better than nothing, but I didn't always feel like going down to the lobby to check my email (it was quite a walk from my exterior room).
-There was what I named a 'loung boy' always sitting in the lobby/lounge area watching the TV. He must have been one of the employees kids, and he did nothing wrong, but for some reason it was annoying that he was always in there watching TV morning, noon, and night.
-And lastly the locks... I actually got locked in the building. No, not out of the building, but inside the building. I had been in the lounge late at night checking my email and someone went around and locked all of the doors to the building, and these were locks that you need a key to open, even on the inside! Since my room was one of the outside buildings, I had no key to get out and so I ended up climbing out one of the windows in the lounge. Can anyone say fire code?

So after reading what I just wrote and seeing that I've basically just torn this place a new one, I have to say one more time how great the owners were and how truly hard they were trying to learn their new business. I hope they improve their maid service, get some screens for the windows, install a phone, get lounge boy a TV in the back, and look into some new locks that won't kill everyone if there were ever a fire. This place really has a lot of potential and I wish them a lot of luck in the future.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank frank3355
ATorredeLaxe, Propietario at A Torre de Laxe, responded to this review, 27 November 2011
Dear Frank3355,

First of all we want to thank you for your review, for us is very important improve everyday and doing things better, as you perfectly said, we are astarting in the business.
We want to apollogize for the inconveniences caused by our maid department, obviously we have taken actions on this issue, cleanliness is a must for us.
We are a Rural Hotel, in a rural area, with everything that entails: farms, animals, forests and, of coure, insects.

Hoping to see you soon to stay and go 100% satisfied.
Best regards,
Carmen

Solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Laxe
Hotel Playa de Laxe- Cost of the death
#5 of 8 in Finisterre
Pazo do Souto
Pazo do Souto
#1 of 3 in Carballo

Been to A Torre de Laxe? Share your experiences!