The Datai Langkawi
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$140
US$132
Trip.com
  • Pool
The Danna Langkawi(Pantai Kok)
US$294
US$49
US$622
US$126
US$29
No availability for your dates from our partners
Sabrina Resort(Langkawi)
Agoda.com
2,480 results
All reviewsgulai houserainforest villathai restaurantmain buildingwild boarresident naturalistour honeymoonsorbetirshad mobarakbeach poolnature walkmorning and eveningfour seasonsgolf buggyflora and faunalobby loungeadult pool
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Having heard so much about the Datai my wife bought me a long weekend there as a birthday present. The service was horrendous and the standard generally well below par. All weekend we sat by the top pool with no-one told us that there was another pool by the beach, which we found out on our last day. We sat by the top pool with workers hammering on the roof for the whole weekend and also keeping our baby daughter awake the whole time. The food was generally pretty average and the rooms dated and not up to 5 star prices they charge. Overall I was disappointed however when we were checking out, a manager dealt with us very well and assured us that we should give the Datai another chance and that they would look after us. When I emailed the Datai, this manager had left and they told me they had no record of my complaint and that as a result could not help me. I don't mind the fact that they don't look after us and say there is no record but am amazed that a 5 star hotel deals with customers like this. I will not be going back here when Asia has hundreds of better hotels for half the price....Poor I am afraid all round.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank JD o
GeneralManagerTD, General Manager at The Datai Langkawi, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write The Datai a review on your recent stay.

Your feedback is valuable to us and we will take into consideration everything you have said.

Reviewed 10 November 2013

Had a late check-in and stayed 3 nights. Check-in service was excellent. Room slightly outdated although bathroom was very nice. Check out service was interesting. Our 2nd night in we had a letter through the door informing about check out procedure. Though it was a bit pre-mature having another 24+ hours to go. Later in the evening we had the 'final' bill put through the door. We felt the check-out was a bit rushed..... and disturbed our overall experience.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AjkaR

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for bringing this matter to my attention.

I will definitely re evaluate this procedure with my operations team. It is not at all our intention to rush guests. Do accept my sincerest apologies.

We look forward to welcoming you back again at The Datai.

Reviewed 7 November 2013

This was our second visit to The Datai in 3 months as we really enjoyed our short break stay each time so my review covers both trips.
Although there is not very much to do on Langkawi, if you are looking for a beach holiday and you want to stay in a luxurious resort with good food and very nice service then this hotel is a good choice.
Due to the nature of the 'jungle' setting, it comes with the territory that there will be wildlife around the hotel. I liked seeing the monkeys on my balcony in the morning, the hornbills flying overhead and personally it was very exciting to see a (harmless) snake wind its way over the boardwalk a few metres in front of me. This is not to everyone's taste, but the Datai is situated in lush tropical rainforest and it would be wrong and sterile to have eradicated all this. The rooms we occupied did not have wildlife encroach on them, and guests can help this by keeping doors and windows shut especially when they're not in their room as the monkeys will certainly pop in to take advantage of whatever they can!
I find the rooms quite well fitted out - the furniture is heavy and solid and the beds are pretty comfortable with excellent quiet air-conditioning or ceiling fans to keep the temperature cool. I could agree with some guests saying it feels dated, but I also think massive modernisation of the rooms could destroy the ambience and make it just like a chain hotel.
The beach is beautiful, it has a few shady areas, and vast expanses of golden sand gradually falling into a very shallow sea which is perfect for paddling or swimming. We didn't find it too hot for our son to play out on the beach in the morning or evening although the midday sun was best avoided as it was roasting hot.
There is an adults only pool near the main lobby and a beachside pool which is nice for children but doesn't have any gimmicky slides or play areas. We liked it - it was very sociable without being tedious.
We ate most nights at the Thai restaurant which serves some of the best Thai food we've ever had. We thought this was far better than the Gulai House (Malaysian/Indian) which served tasty but not exceptional food. The buffet breakfast was really great with a huge selection of food and drinks.
The rooms are quite expensive for Malaysia prices, but I believe you are paying premium for the seclusion, the top service and the beautiful setting.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Pookiecat

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write The Datai such a wonderful review of your last trip.

We are extremely proud to hear that your stay was relaxing and that you noticed the personal aspect of our service.

I will be sure to relay your well wishes to the rest of the team.

Thank you again.

Reviewed 5 November 2013

We only stayed one night in Langkawi (our first getaway as a couple since having a baby) and we both concluded that the one night at Datai did a great job at relaxing us. We were so impressed with the spa and massage that we begged them to squeeze us in before we had to leave the next day.
We were upgraded to the villa upon arrival. First impression - spacious room but very dated furnishing. Our check-in experience was not ruined by a 1.5 hours wait (without anyone really asking if we'd like a drink). The General Manager came by and asked how we were doing, so I gave feedback that we have been waiting at the lounge for a while and was surprised that no one came to give us an update of what was going on with our room. She was very efficient to spot our irateness and waived off the charges on the little snack we ordered whilst we were waiting (beef rendang spring roll - nothing particularly worth remembering).
15 minutes after we were checked in our room, we had a blackout and they took a while to sort our room out. All was forgotten by a treat at the spa (amazing massage..have i mentioned that?).
All in all, a relaxing stay. Food at the Thai Pavillion was left to be desired for. Room service was far better. Would i come back? Maybe... would help if they renovated the rooms.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for the property.

I must sincerely apologize for the minor hiccups you encountered when you first arrived. I have brought this up with the front desk to ensure check ins occur more smoothly for all guests.

However, I am glad to hear that you had such a wonderful stay and will be returning to visit us in the future. We eagerly await you and your family's return.

Reviewed 5 November 2013

Very beautiful hotel with great service and great location with the jungle and the beach. Fine dining, delicious food and the beach is stunning. Just be careful with the monkeys..we had by our big surprise one in our room, eating from the fruit platter...don't feed them because they come to the balcony a lot to see if there is anything to eat and keep your door closed. The staff was very friendly and professional. It was an amazing experience for us to stay in the Datai.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
GeneralManagerTD, General Manager at The Datai Langkawi, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your review of The Datai.

We see the monkeys managed to sneak into your villa and raid the fruit basket. It happens on occasion but trust that they are not harmful, just very cheeky. It is also part of The Datai's charm to have wildlife so close to us.

We are very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope you will return again soon.

your sincerely,