The Andaman, A Luxury Collection Resort
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$143
US$132
Trip.com
  • Pool
The Danna Langkawi(Pantai Kok)
US$293
US$621
US$123
Hotels.com
US$29
No availability for your dates from our partners
2,593 results
All reviewscoral nurseryjala restauranttepian lautdatai baynorth wingflying lemurspool access roombeach barexecutive poolfish restaurantfish feedingmonitor lizardsbeautiful beachmorning and eveningrainforest walksrainforest roommain restaurant
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 22 January 2014

The beach stretch along the Andaman is amazing. The stretch is shared with the Datai - that side of the beach is definitely more beautiful, but Andaman's side of the beach is much more lively. Andaman has a great nursery for corals and the curator gave us great details about his vision. I think if these plans could be funded - it would be awesome. We loved the Jala and the Japanese restaurant. Jala is definitely very exquisite - take a long evening off there with a full bottle of wine... Our sea view room was definitely worth the price premium, Andaman has a variety of rooms btw. The SPA facility also faces the sea... though one can not really enjoy the views during the massage - the breeze and the light added to the freshness. We didn't do any of the excursions, but went out sailing on the h-cat with a guide - it was super breezy that day and the 1 hour sailing excursion actually turned out to be fun!

The breakfast was quite disappointing - but there was no other place offering breakfast. Eggs and salad were left open with flies all over. The main Restaurant is actually pretty crappy and the waiters were wierd. The other restaurant along the beach [not Jala] has a great seating facility - but the food was just average.

Baring this - we had a great time. No need to get out of Andaman. They offer a beach, good rooms, many restaurants, excursions, corals - overall pretty wholesome for 2 to 3 days for sure.

Room Tip: If you choose a sea view room - ask for the top [4th] floor. Rooms were a bit small - but may be those travelling with kids had bigger rooms
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ShellSingy
AndamanLangkawi, Executive Assistant Manager at The Andaman, A Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2014

Dear ShellSingy,
Thank you for choosing The Andaman for recent stay…and for taking the time to post this review on Trip Advisor. I am delighted to know that you enjoyed the stay with our natural environment.
Thank you for highlighting our beach. Our sand is coral sand is softer than seashell sand…and never gets too hot ….even on the sunniest days, so no risk of burning your toes. And this side of the island is relatively un-populated and thus our water always stays clean and clear, quiet and undisturbed. As you know, National Geographic says that this is the 9th best beach in the world, although I am biased… but I do agree!
It is kind of you to highlight our Coral Nursery - this small fringing reef was badly damaged in the 2004 Tsunami…and our team runs a series of activities to help educate ourselves and our guests on this fragile eco-system. We do encourage guest to participate in these activities.
I grinned when I read your feedback on our “Jala” – a dining venue does have the most gorgeous location right on the beach - and the very best views of the sunset. I do think that barefoot on the sand is a wonderful idea whilst enjoying your meal at the most gorgeous location right on the beach.
Kudos for you to took time and experienced our water sports and spa treatment at “V Botanical Spa”. As you know the spa villas are set up on the rainforest hillside and therefore have the most gorgeous views across the bay. During a treatment, the only sound that you can hear is the sound of waves below and the rainforest around you – just relax!
I do acknowledge your remark regarding the breakfast and the flies. We have had a number of comments on flies in the last few days…and I am sorry that these disturbed your stay so much. I am happy to report that the season of flies has (thankfully) passed, although I also acknowledge that there will never always be insects in a tropical location.
I was very sad to read your comment regarding our service team in our restaurant. My apologies – please rest assured that this point will definitely become a focus of our ongoing training initiatives.
Once again, thank you again for the candor of your comments – much valued. I do hope that we may welcome you again. My team and I remain at your service.
Kind regards

Reviewed 20 January 2014

This is my second visit to the Andaman in the last year.
The hotel has changed, since my last stay.
It might be because most of the Hotel Rooms have been up graded. The room i stayed in had a new fresh, modern look to it with still a bit of Malay style.The ground floor rooms look great with outside Jacuzzi's. The change might be the introduction of New Chairs & Tables at the main reception bar, these would be more suited in a cool bar in Miami South Beach, or the addition of White Plastic sun Lounges at the North End of the Beach. Forgetting about these new additions, the staff are still friendly & Helpful. The food in all the Restaurants is of the highest standard.
But why have i come back... its the location...The view from most rooms is breath taking, the location backing onto the Jungle..The beach is clean & rightly stands along the other best beaches in the world. The resort is peacefully & you just cant help but relax & sit back & enjoy a cold drink whilst watch the sun go down.
Will i be back again, more than likely...

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank BigChris67

Dear BigChris67,
How wonderful you are! Thank you for choosing The Andaman for your return stay to Langkawi…and for taking the time to post this wonderful review on Trip Advisor. I am delighted to know that you enjoyed the stay with our natural environment – and glad to know that our staff was friendly and helpful… just as it should be!
You are absolutely correct regarding the renovation… most recently we have completed a renovation of our Seaview rooms and we have finished off our new Jacuzzi Studio Suites and Plunge Pool suites at the ground floor of the north wing. We are really pleased with the result and I feel positive about the plans that we have in place upgrading and renovating the physical aspects of the resort and our guest rooms. Our team on property is committed to drive this plan forward – as well as manage it carefully and positively so that guests still enjoy a comfortable and relaxing stay with us.
Thank you for your warm review towards our restaurant food quality… I continue to get great comments from our guests regarding the food quality. Thank you for your warm review – and I have passed your message to our kitchen team, I do believe that you have made their day !
Regarding our resort location, you are absolutely correct - located in a little corner of Langkawi Island… and surrounded by 10 million year old rainforest, with the 9th best beaches in the world (as per National Geographic). This side of the island is relatively un-populated and thus our water always stays clean and clear, quiet and undisturbed – just relax! If guests wish to have a tranquil, peaceful holiday close to nature …then this is the right spot to choose.
Once again, thank you for choosing The Andaman for your return stay… and I am thrilled to know that we may welcome you again. My team and I remain at your service…see you soon!
With warm regards

Reviewed 18 January 2014

As a family with teenage boys we made our 12th trip to the hotel. The food is outstanding - try the pumpkin soup! The service is excellent and the whole experience is restful.The beach is second to none and national geographic are frequently there.Nestled within a rainforest this is the place to go if you love unusual animals and plants.There is also a well positioned SPA.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank s b
AndamanLangkawi, Executive Assistant Manager at The Andaman, A Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2014

Dear S b,
Welcome back…! Thank you for choosing our resort for your return trip to Langkawi – and thank you very much for posting this lovely review on Trip Advisor. I am thrilled to know that you and your family enjoyed the stay with us – and glad to know that our staff took good care of you… just as it should be!
Thank you for your compliment toward our resort food quality. I continue to get great comments from our guests regarding the food quality. I have passed the message to the kitchen team…and I believe that you have made their day!
Regarding our resort location, you are absolutely correct - located in a little corner of Langkawi Island… and surrounded by 10 million year old rainforest, with the 9th best beaches in the world (as per National Geographic). This side of the island is relatively un-populated and thus our water always stays clean and clear, quiet and undisturbed… if guests wish to have a tranquil, peaceful holiday close to nature …then this is the right spot to choose… especially for families.
Kudos for you to experience our spa treatment - as you discovered the spa villas are set up on the rainforest hillside and therefore have the most gorgeous views across the bay. I continue to get great comments from our guests regarding the quality of our treatments.
Once again, thank you for choosing The Andaman for your return stay… My team and I would be delighted to welcome you back to The Andaman.
With warm regards

Reviewed 18 January 2014

Loved this hotell. Fantastic location, wounderful beach and very good food. The rooms were excellent. We stayed in rooms with balkony. The view from the lounge was Amazing. The hotel is located almost in the jungle with animals right in the garden.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank jessicae

Dear Jessicae,
How wonderful you are! Thank you for choosing our resort for your recent stay at The Andaman… and for taking the time to post this wonderful review on Trip Advisor. I am thrilled to know that you enjoyed the stay with us.
I would certainly agree with you regarding our resort location. It is located in a little corner of Langkawi Island… and surrounded by 10 million year old rainforest, with the 9th best beaches in the world (as per National Geographic). I give credit to the original architect of The Andaman for designing the hotel in the middle of a magnificent rainforest – and because so many of our trees and fauna were protected and maintained from the very start, the wildlife had no reason to move …and so we all (guests, monkeys, lemurs, hornbills etc) live in perfect peace together (most days!). This side of the island is relatively un-populated and thus our water always stays clean and clear, quiet and undisturbed…just wonderful!
It is kind of you to compliment our resorts food quality – I continue to get great comments from our guests regarding the food quality. Thank you for your warm review.
Please allow me to say once again how grateful I am for your wonderful feedback… especially toward our resort location. My team and I look forward to see you at The Andaman again.
With kind regards,

Reviewed 18 January 2014

My family and I stayed at the Andaman, A Luxury Collection over the New Year Holiday (ringing in 2014). The property is nice, but not outstanding. Having stayed at a Luxury Collection in Bali the previous year, our expectations were exceptionally high. But let me start with praises: Incredible rain forrest background, Coral Nursery and related experiences top notch, Nature walks and educational opportunities a nice touch, beautiful and interesting beach, secluded and didn't feel "touristy", relaxing, incredibly kind and helpful staff (really responsive staff), great food at most of the restaurants, great kids buffet for SPG Kids members at lunch (pool side), Cold water pool and beach side, Batik painting experience fun and amazing, Great Spa (view and services), and a manager who aims to please and takes pride in the property.

concerns: As other reviewers have mentioned, it is an older property that is looking a bit "Tired" in some places, although the lobby looks to be recently renovated and is quite nice, other common areas need some "decorations" and updates. Most noticeably were all of the wooden banisters and railings. I will note, the hotel is updating blocks of rooms and many areas have already been finished (I believe the entire first floor has been completed).

We were first in the South Wing in a room that had not been renovated on the 2nd floor. The Manager was incredibly receptive and responded quickly to my email expressing my concerns. Her hospitality was above and beyond what I have ever experienced. The new renovated room (which she put us in an upgraded studio style suite with jacuzzi tub outside) was nicely renovated with a lovely deck/and outdoor new jacuzzi. The bathroom was basically the same as in the room which had not been recently renovated. Which means the wood didn't match the rest of the room and the wood trim was quite warn and in our case falling off the tub. The bathroom I would rate as "average".

The Spa services were quite nice, with an amazing view and interesting unique style for their layout with individual treatment villas. very private and nice. Our villa had an "outdoor" shower on the back side and on the Sea side the massage tables looked out over the sea/mountains at sunset (outstanding!). My complaint would be that overall the cabinets etc facilities needed some updating (peeling vernier on cabinet doors and lots of oil staining). Also technicians should probably step outside of the villa while people change clothes. it was a bit weird to go to the bathroom to change clothes - I'd rather be situated on the massage table before the therapist enter.

Back to restaurants. Jala WONDERFUL seafood! Fresh, daily catch. Small menu, but it's because its' whats local and fresh that day! Original recipes, fresh homemade bread, and out-standing service! Did I mention that the restaurant is open air with a SAND floor? great dining experience. The Malaysian beach front restaurant was really tasty food with again excellent fast service. "The Restaurant" was an interesting surprise. While we were there it wasn't really marketed much, and was always looking fairly empty for dinner - Italian food. Normally we don't love Italian food but the kids were interested. We were pleasantly surprised! Again GREAT serve with the server going the extra mile to make sure our son didn't accidentally consume food with nuts. The Main dishes were great! (Kids loved the tortalini and ravioli - desserts were outstanding as well) The Japanese Restaurant was - average (but again we have quite high expectations having lived in Japan) - but great service, although slow at times.

Another great food thing the resort does is special food events on the beach. We ate at the Thai night! WOW! We love Thai food and have been to Thailand many times, so again we can be quite critical! The decorations were great, tons of great food, great selection, organized, small beach fires burning at night, good entertainment for kids (fire artists as well as fruit/veg carving and live music!). Really worth every "penny".

Would I return to this resort? If their renovation was updated and complete, absolutely.

Room Tip: This whole resort seems to be "quiet" but knowing they are working on renovations, I'd ask to be sure your room is not located next to construction.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Dear Ppour,
Thank you for choosing our resort for your recent stay at The Andaman… and celebrate the special festive season with us. I am delighted to know that you and your family enjoyed the stay with us – and glad to know that our staff was friendly and attentive.
Regarding our resort location, you are absolutely correct! It is located in a little corner of Langkawi Island… and surrounded by 10 million year old rainforest, with the 9th best beaches in the world (as per National Geographic).
I am especially happy to know that you and your family took time and participated in our Coral Nursery and rainforest walk. I do think that the nature team does a super job at being educational, engaging and amusing. I think that the key to these “nature activities” is a really good guide who can really open up the secrets of these amazing eco-systems. Thank you for highlighting this point.
I am sorry to read your comments regarding the room you were assigned to… and your remarks about the need for updating of our resort setting. Regarding the renovation, you are correct… most recently we have completed a renovation of our Seaview rooms and the replacement of the wooden deck at “Tepian Laut”… we are really pleased with the result. Now, we have finished off our new Jacuzzi Studio Suites and Plunge Pool suites at the ground floor of the north wing. I feel positive about the plans that we have in place upgrading and renovating the physical aspects of the resort and our guest rooms. Our team on property is committed to drive this plan forward – as well as manage it carefully and positively so that guests still enjoy a comfortable and relaxing stay with us - and I also acknowledge that we need to get there faster.
Kudos for you to visit our “V Botanical Spa” - as you know the spa villas are set up on the rainforest hillside and therefore have the most gorgeous views across the bay. I do acknowledge your remark regarding the changing room in our spa villa. I do understand that it would be a frustration for you…we continue to monitor this as it can be an important issue which needs to be managed. Thank you for candor this point. I am never proud to know that we failed to delight a guest but I am always grateful for feedback so that we may learn and improve.
I am thrilled to know that you and your family enjoyed the dining experience with us – especially your warm remarks on our “Jala”. This is a newest dining venue – offering the most gorgeous location right on the beach. I do think that barefoot on the sand is a wonderful idea whilst enjoying your meal – just relax. Thank you for your wonderful review toward our service team – appreciated!
Once again, thank you again for the candor of your comments – much valued. I believe that holidays are very precious. My team and I would be delighted to welcome you back to The Andaman.
I remain at your service.
Kind regards