The Andaman, A Luxury Collection Resort
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$144
US$130
  • Pool
The Danna Langkawi(Pantai Kok)
US$301
US$620
US$123
Travelocity
US$29
No availability for your dates from our partners
2,594 results
All reviewscoral nurseryjala restauranttepian lautdatai baynorth wingflying lemurspool access roombeach barexecutive poolfish restaurantfish feedingmonitor lizardsbeautiful beachmorning and eveningrainforest walksrainforest roommain restaurant
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 8 June 2014

It is a really nice hotel and the beach is wonderful and really quiet so if you're looking for a place to relax this is it. However there are a few annoyances, that make you feel you should get more for what you pay and below I provide some examples:

Everything is very expensive. By not having a competitive all inclusive package you're left with having to pay as you go for all you drink/eat (no alternatives unless you rent a car and drive 30/40 minutes). And the don't expect to pay "Malaysian" prices for what you order, you'll pay "London" prices for everything, so do expect your bill to increase. It's a shame, because you feel like you are always carrying a meter (you pay for food, you pay for drinks, you pay for kayaking and you pay for your airport transfer - much cheaper to order a taxi).

The staff - Despite their best efforts and kindness are very amateur. It was common for us to have to review the bill and notice that something was wrong with it, or to have things messed up (e.g. in the Japanese restaurant the starters came after the main courses and in one occasion one of the sushi orders never came, or in room dining bringing us something different from what was ordered).

The bedroom door has enough space under it for bugs and geckos to crawl under, so do expect company (we had several mosquitoes per night - no problem if you have the AC on all night, and a visit from a gecko on another occasion).

The noise isolation in the bedroom isn't perfect. It's ok if you like to listen to the sea and the wildlife during the night, but can work the other way around if you need silence to have a good night sleep.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Rui C
AndamanLangkawi, Executive Assistant Manager at The Andaman, A Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Dear Rui C,
Thank you for your recent stay and for posting this review – much appreciated. . It is never a pleasure to know that we disappointed a guest but I am always grateful for feedback so that we may learn and improve. I do feel that it’s important (and polite) – that I reply to all guest comments, as well as all guest reviews on Trip Advisor.
I am thrilled to that our service team was friendly and helpful…however I am sad to read your remark regarding the billing issue. I do acknowledge your review regarding our food quality and pricing issue. I had always felt that our prices were in line with our competitor as we do monitor our prices compared to the other similar hotels on the island. However, I am sorry that if it was a cause of disappointment… and I will continue to check because it’s important to me that we offer value for money for our guests. Thank you for candor on this point.
I am sorry to read your comments regarding the room you were assigned to… and your remarks about the need for updating our rooms. Our resort has completed the renovation on our North Wing and we are committed to driving this plan forward. I do acknowledge that we need to get there faster.
I do acknowledge your review regarding the noise around our resort… as you discovered, The Andaman is surrounded by a 10 million year old rainforest and because so many of our trees and fauna were protected and maintained from the very start, the wildlife had no reason to move. I am sorry to read your comments regarding some of the frustrations and irritations that you felt during your stay. Thank you for sharing these detailed remarks. We always review guest comments as a team at our daily briefing meeting. I confess that none of us took any pleasure or pride in reading and reviewing the issues that you describe.
Once again, thank you for your comments… if I may be of further assistance, please do contact me adrian.stoppe@luxurycollection.com. My team and I would be delighted to welcome you back to The Andaman.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

It was my family's first time to The Andaman and we had such a lovely time! Serene environment, friendly and helpful staff, comfortable rooms and what i love best is their coral nursery and conservation efforts are extremely commendable! Hope to be back there someday... <3

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank ayinalin

Dear Ayinalin,
You are very kind… thank you for choosing The Andaman for your recent stay on Langkawi and I am delighted to know that you and your family enjoyed the stay with us.
I am especially happy to know that our staff was friendly and helpful – just as it should be! Besides, thank you for your warm review towards our Coral Nursery. This small fringing reef was badly damaged in the 2004 Tsunami – and our team runs a series of activities to help educate ourselves and our guests on this fragile eco-system.
Once again, thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us especially recommend our Coral Nursery – much appreciated! I grinned when I know that we may welcome you again… we look forward to taking care of you again !

Reviewed 5 June 2014

We stayed 4 nights in May 2014 at Andaman resort , with a baby of 10 months old. All the time and everywhere , staff was so helpful and kind, and always smiling and helping with my kid :-). One night my order at the restaurant was slightly wrong due to miscommunication with the kitchen, they offered directly to give me a new free main course without question. This is quite nice when you don t have to argue for everything !
The resort is right on the beach, a long and beautiful sand beach with clear water (depends if it has rain or not the day before). You can do some snorkeling just in front of the hotel, as well as taking one of the kayak / windsurf to go in the bay.
The location is very quiet, only 2 resorts on this beach and the other resort is very remote. Rainforest all around.
Swimming pool is huge and great for kids with a slide, there is even a Kid Room with some activities which is quite fun and useful for the parents (to relax..)
There are few restaurants on the resort . Jalan ( the seafood restaurant) is beautifully located on the beach, great for sunset. Seafood is really fresh and wonderful cooked. Side disk, other main courses and desserts are quite sophisticated, prices are more expensive but it's really worth it. The design is also quite unique and very nice.
The pool restaurant is fine to hang out in the day with the kid, pizza and some asian / burgers / european food too, quality / price OK. Staff really really nice
Breakfast is an amazing and huge buffet, you will find anything you wish . There is also a huge selection of bread and pastries. We didn't take the buffet as we are not really big eaters in the morning, and breakfast a la carte is quite nice too ( the white-eggs omelette with spinach is in fact also served with sausages, hasbrown and tomatoes which is quite filling too)
Try to join the morning walk in the nearby rainforest , organized by the hotel : there is so many wildlife nearby with different monkeys, squirrels, birds, it's really enjoyable and quite a not too tiring walk around the hotel. You might even see sea otter, dolphins, hoof print for smal wild boar, etc. Our guide was very good and could detect all the animals so easily, we learnt a lot.
We rented a car by using the hotel service : very easy and quick, we had a baby sit immediatly. it cost 100 Ringit for half day, and 190 for the whole day (including insurance) . You can take it normally until 11 pm, you can speak with them if you plan to come back later. It took 30 min max to go to Tanjong resort ( on the East side of Langkawi, beautiful beach too and you can take some small boat cruise to go in teh mangrove , or around the reefs or to the bat cave. ) It took max 40 min to go to the South to the Jetty . This is a great option if you want to go outside one evening to try the seafood restaurants, the hotel is providing baby sitting service ( which went very well for us). Only small bad side is that the road to go back to the hotel is like in the small montains, not straight at all and quite sharp, not very easy if you are tired after a good meal.
There are night markets all nights of the week in different location, so check for it.
Room was clean and usual facilities, with a small small balcony. Bathroom is huge and very clean.
We took the room service for 2 nights, nothing to say, very good.
The hotel has its own coral nursery , you can see how they feed the corals and sometimes you can snorkel in it with supervision of the staff, this is really cool.
Overall we are very pleased with our stay in this hotel, especially due to the staff and the location of the hotel. Thanks again to the team !

Room Tip: the rooms in the east wing are more luxury, but probably more expensive.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Aurelie75008
AndamanLangkawi, Executive Assistant Manager at The Andaman, A Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2014

Dear Aurelie75008,
Well…you certainly made my day! I am delighted to know that you and your family enjoyed the stay with you…and thank you for your time to post this wonderful review on Trip Advisor – much appreciated!
I am glad to know that our staff was helpful and took good care of you. I am sorry that there was an issue with our in-room dining service…but I am glad to know that our staff solved the room issue efficiently. I know that this issue should not have occurred in the first place, but you are very gracious with your remarks – thank you.
It is kind of you to highlight the Water Slide and swimming pool… and I happy to know that you and your family have a great time! I am grinned to know that you enjoyed our coral sand beach…it has recognized as the 9th best beach in the world by National Geographic, I know that I am biased, but I do agree that it is one of the best beaches in Asia!
Thank you for your warm review towards our breakfast at “The Restaurant and I am thrilled to know that you and your family enjoyed the dining experience at our “Jala” - this restaurant offered the most delicious local fish and seafood. I have passed your message to the team, thank you!
I am especially happy to know that you took time and participating our Rainforest Walks. As you discovered, our resort is surrounded by 10 million year old rainforest – and because so many of the trees and fauna were protected and maintained from the very start, the wildlife had no reason to move. I do think that the nature team does a super job at being educational, engaging and amusing. I think that the key to these “nature activities” is a really good guide who can really open up the secrets of these amazing eco-systems. Thank you for highlighting this point.
Thank you for highlight our Coral Nursery – much appreciated! This small fringing reef was badly damaged in the 2004 Tsunami…and our team runs a series of activities to help educate ourselves and our guests on this fragile eco-system. It is also a nice area for coral snorkeling as you are able to see all the beautiful creatures…just wonderful! We do encourage guest to participate in this activity.
Once again, thank you for your review on Trip Advisor especially towards our service team…much appreciated! I do hope that we may welcome you again in the future. My team and I remain at your service.
Warm regards,

Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

This is my second time with my family there. It is indeed one if best beaches we've ever been to. We had fun kayaking and had a thrilling ride on the catamaran as the winds were strong. The fine dining in the Jala restaurant was exquisite, a simple hoi sin sauce grouper elevated to the most succulent and fine fish I've ever tasted. Though there was a hair on my dish, it was promptly replaced and we were compensated with a fine pot of mint tea to clean the pallets before our dessert course. Kudos to the chef!
Having said that the old wing is rather showing it's age, the rooms are still beautiful but flooring appearing to be coming off. The toilet bowls also occasionally reeks of sewage smell.
There is a great satisfaction knowing that you 'own' the beach, the walks from end to end is serene and peaceful. I'll still come back!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank gun47

Dear Choongun,
Welcome back to The Andaman! Thank you for choosing The Andaman as part of your return to Langkawi… and thank you for posting this review on Trip Advisor.
Thank you for your compliment towards our resort food quality and I grinned when I know that you took time and visit “Jala”. As you discovered, “Jala” does have the most gorgeous location right on the beach - and the very best views of the sunset. I am especially happy to know that you and your family enjoyed the dining experience… and thank you for your warm review towards the kitchen team.
I do acknowledge your remarks about the need for updating our resort setting. As you discovered, our resort has completed the renovation few months ago and we are committed to driving this plan forward as to provide a comfortable and relaxing place for our guest. I also acknowledge that we need to get there faster, thank you for candor this point.
Thank you for your warm review… and I am thrilled to know that we may welcome you again at The Andaman. Next time, we hope that you will come for a longer stay! My team and I look forward to taking care of you again at The Andaman

Reviewed 3 June 2014

If a relaxing, secluded, luxurious resort is what you’re after, The Andaman is it. The private pool entry room was delightful – although we were not surrounded by neighbours, I’m not sure if the “private” part of the access would be different if another couple was on their lounges next to you separated by only a slat wall. However, if you feel too close, the main pool is large with plenty of sun lounges and the added bonus of pool service for snacks and cocktails – and the private beach is equally as inviting and also includes bar service to your lounge.

The private pool access room was ground floor so we saw a bit more of the local wildlife than we would have liked, but if you ask for a draft excluder to be placed in front of your door as soon as you arrive that should remove the issue. It was easiest to stay in the resort because the main town area was a 30 – 40 drive and taxi fare away. The Andaman staff were amazing and always helpful. Highly recommended for a lovely holiday.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Gabeliz,
You are very kind indeed! Thank you for posting this wonderful review on Trip Advisor – much appreciated. I am thrilled to know that you enjoyed the stay with our resort location…and glad to know that our staff was friendly and helpful, thank you for your warm review!
Thank you for your compliment toward our award winning beach - this side of the island is relatively un-populated and thus our water stays clean and clear, always stays quiet and undisturbed. Indeed, National Geographic named this as one of the Top 10 Beaches in the world…and I know that I am biased, but I do agree that it is one of the best beaches in Asia.
As you discovered, The Andaman is surrounded by 10 million year old rainforest and further away from the main touristic areas. I give credit to the original architect of The Andaman for designing the hotel such that the hotel is inside the rainforest. If guests wish to have a tranquil, peaceful holiday close to nature …this is definitely a little paradise in Langkawi Island.
Please allow me to say once again how grateful I am towards your feedback, especially about our resort location… and thank you for recommending our resort to other traveller through Trip Advisor, appreciated! We look forward to taking care of you again.