“Quirky, comfortable, but!.....”
Review of Inn at Whitewell

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Whitewell
Inn at Whitewell
Ranked #1 of 1 Whitewell B&B and Inns
Wadhurst, United Kingdom
“Quirky, comfortable, but!.....”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

My wife and I stayed two nights in one of the Coach House Suites as part of our tour of the Lakes. The room was well appointed, comfortable and immaculately clean with a wonderfully quirky bath/shower dating from 1886....a real gem of Victorian innovation. The setting of the hotel is simply stunning and please do take the time to cross the river by means of the stepping stones, if for no reason other than the fun of seeing if you can do so without getting a wet ankle! The only "but" relates to the view from our room. Some bright spark at the hotel took the decision to put several large shipping containers in the car park smack bang in front of the The Coach House and so what should be an amazing view is completely ruined with these storage units in the foreground. No attempt has been made to mask them with trellis or planting and given the space available elsewhere, it's a thoughtless mistake. I would imagine the views from the rooms in the main hotel are much nicer, so recommend booking one of them. This issue shouldn't however take away from the overall, hence why the "very good" rating and certainly don't feel put off...the Inn at Whitewell is still excellent!

Room Tip: Just avoid the Coach House and book a room in the main hotel
1 Thank Graeme P
hotelierLancashire, Owner at Inn at Whitewell, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Many thanks for your review and your kind comments. The containers are very annoying and will be going as soon as I can build a barn there, i promise. Regards Cb

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
Harrogate, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2014

What better way to spend a Sunday afternoon than to sit on the terrace at the inn at Whitewell with our 2 dogs, in the blazing sunshine, enjoying a gorgeous lunch of rare roast beef and Yorkshire pudding, whilst looking at the beautiful view! Idyllic place.

1 Thank Gillian C
hotelierLancashire, Owner at Inn at Whitewell, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Thank you very much for your kind review, so pleased you and the dogs had a happy lunch by the river, I watched two children and their dog swimming in bridge pool yesterday, such fun. Regards Cb
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 June 2014

We decided, on recommendation, to spend a night at this establishment. For £190 per weekday night B&B, I expected all to be perfect. Not so, the room (21) was dust free but had cracked floor tiles in the bathroom, with a stained and torn canopy over the four poster bed. We could not leave the bedroom window open overnight due to security concerns (see pappadog2014's comment). Subsequently, we had an uncomfortable night. On reporting our concerns to the more mature of the receptionists, she seemed to be unconcerned "I'll let the house keeping staff know".
Plus points? The antique furniture, the view, dinner and the friendly and courteous bar and restaurant staff. Average breakfast and perceived poor customer relationship skills exuded by the afore mentioned receptionist. In a nutshell, I won't be recommending nor rushing back!

2 Thank JamieandLinda
hotelierLancashire, Owner at Inn at Whitewell, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
So sorry I take your points and we should have addressed the torn canopy quicker. Regards Cb
Blackburn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Arrived at the inn at 1pm and room was ready which was great, room 17 beautifull, staff very helpfull got a cup of tea brought to the room for which there is no charge, no tea making facility in the rooms, went up to the bar and a look around the hotel, I got my wallet lifted, with all my cards and driving licence and cash in it, another couple had a purse and mobile phone taken out of there room,On reporting the loss the Manager seemed a little indifferent and he seemed to think it was not important and things like this did not happen at The Inn At Whitewell, Well let me state That this is exactly the type of place a thief will Target. Asked what cctv was available I was told only one camera in reception. (Keep Your Valuables very Safe About you At The Inn). The young lady on Reception was the only person who was sympathetic and helpfull, The only phones that work to cancell credit cards are in reception, Had to leave as no money and no cards, Manager insisted had to pay before Leaving with no discount or Help, Borrowed card to pay!!! Apart from that a nice Place.

Room Tip: Try for a room with a River view
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
No, please be assured we were absolutely appalled that this had happened here. Mark and all the guys were all looking to see if we could help find your wallet. That said we didn't and are truly upset that your day was ruined by some low life, we won';t be happy until there is an arrest. Regards Cb
Krakow, Poland
Reviewed 14 June 2014

My Son chose this wonderful venue for his Wedding this year. The Hotel certainly lived up to expectations.

The setting is stunning and the Hotel itself is absolutely lovely. Many of the wedding guests stayed in the Hotel. Staff were extremely helpful and nothing was too much trouble.

The marquis looked amazing and Emma the wedding planner was terrific.

We had a lovely meal on the Friday evening prior to the wedding and the food was great. The Fish Pie is a must!!!

All our rooms were beautifully decorated and furnished. Each room is individually decorated in its very own unique style.

The wedding was a huge success and all agreed that it was the perfect choice of venue. Thank you to the staff from us all.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a view over the river its amazing
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
hotelierLancashire, Owner at Inn at Whitewell, responded to this review, 15 June 2014
So pleased you had a happy couple of days with us and glad the party was a success. Hope we see you and the married couple again before too long. Regards Cb
Blackpool
Reviewed 14 June 2014

My wife and I stayed here for one night as a treat paid for by our family. Arrived a little early (1pm) so our room was not ready. However, we dropped off our overnight bag and the reception staff were very helpful in advising us to take the circular walk (about one hour) over the stepping stones, through the farmyard and along the riverside, very enjoyable. Our room was very nice with a great bathroom, free-standing bath with enclosed shower and old-time fixtures and fittings. Telephone calls are free because mobile phone reception is virtually non-existent and tea and coffee in the rooms are also free, a lovely surprise. We had a little drive to nearby Clitheroe (worth a visit) and then, back at our room, ordered tea for two which arrived within minutes. Yes, as other reviews have pointed out, the room was warm and couldn't be cooled down without leaving the window open all night (something which a notice on the wall advised should not be done or insects would descend on us). I believe that most of the heat came from the towel rail in the bathroom which was blisteringly hot. However, it didn't spoil our nights sleep in a very comfortable bed. Now to the evening meal. The choice of starter and main courses were very good. I had black pudding and bacon salad to start and my wife had the summer salad. My main course was duck and my wife had the venison. Our starters and mains were excellent. I don't think either of us have had nicer tasting food for quite a while. My wife also really enjoyed her pudding of sticky toffee. However, I was disappointed with my dessert. Nothing on the menu seemed to float my boat so I plumped for chocolate ice cream. Now, I am quite a connoisseur of chocolate ice cream and, having had such a delicious meal so far, was looking forward to my dessert. I was really disappointed. The ice cream not only did not taste of chocolate, it didn't really taste of ice cream! The only downer to a lovely meal. Breakfast was served in the same room and the service and the food were both excellent. The Inn also has a small vintner and store from which we bought honey, coffee and Molton Brown lotion (all a lot more expensive than in retail stores, but you would expect this in a hotel). We would love to return for another stay, thank you to all the staff for brilliant service.

Room Tip: We had room 8 which was very nice.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your kind review, much appreciated. I am sorry the chocolate ice cream wasn't a winner, will pass this back. Thank you again. Regards Cb
Lancashire
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Lovely lunch, fantastic views and has to be without doubt one of the best locations in the North West of England, especially if you are fortunate enough to secure a table with stunning views from the terrace.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review, very kind and much appreciated. It's difficult not to revel in the views. Thank you. Regards Cb
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitewell
Northcote Hotel
The Old Posthouse Hotel
#3 of 4 in Clitheroe
Ferrari's Country House Hotel
Stanley House Hotel & Spa

Been to Inn at Whitewell? Share your experiences!