“gravy charge”

Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
wickford
“gravy charge”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

First time visited and food was very nice, Seemed a bit mean charging for extra gravy for my meal.I work in a restaurant myself and we would never charge for this.Would I have been charged for mustard or vinegar had it been requested?

• Visited August 2014
2 Thank poppies777
LandLEdwards, Owner at The Carpenters Arms, responded to this review, 6 September 2014
Thank you for your review. All feedback received is reviewed and also passed on to our team,

I'm sorry you was charged for your gravy, i totally agree with you, i can only apologise and we will ensure we brief the staff!

We are very pleased and proud to announce we have been entered into the best local community pub this year with the Essex Life Magazine, all your kind words and support mean the world to us, thank you from all the team

We hope to see you again soon, why not join us for Christmas, we are now taking bookings for our Christmas Fayre and Christmas Day menu’s (and we won't charge you extra for gravy!!)

Wickford, United Kingdom
“Well worth a visit”
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

Visited here on a sat night after moving and we couldn't be bothered to cook. This was the closest pub and I was expecting the usual cheap frozen food normally served up by pubs. I was really surprised. First of the staff were really friendly and took us to a table straight away. The interior of the place us really well decorated with a warm cozy feel. And the food was well worth the money. Portion sizes are more than adequate and the duck that I had was perfectly cooked. We will most definitely be returning. The only tiny down point, I finished my drink half way through my meal and couldn't get any ones attention to get another. Other than that a really lovely experience.

Thank you for your review and your kind words. All feedback received is passed on to our team,

All our food is fresh and seasonal, We use as many local suppliers as possible and all our meat is supplied to us from La Vallee Farm just a few miles down the road from us.

London, United Kingdom
“Gazebo Party!”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Recently had my husband’s birthday here and what a great day/night it was.

We had reserved a gazebo outside so we could have friend come and go as they pleased.

We arrived and it was raining so we went straight in to the bar bought some drinks and were then shown to our area.

I love this place due to the extra little personal touches that make it stand out - earlier that day a polite gentleman called asking if we still wanted to hold our gathering outside due to the poor weather conditions and asked if we would prefer a table inside, due to the nature of our party we remained outside.

We loved the gazebo as did all out guest, they couldn’t believe what a great venue we had chosen -even with the weather we still had a great time with music and heating!

We have eaten here a number of times and love the food and the choice, for many of our guests it was there first time and they all loved it as much as we do.

We will definitely be back to use the gazebos and main restaurant again for another occasion.

Thanks very much for a brilliant birthday!

• Visited July 2014
Thank you for your review and your kind words. We are really pleased you enjoyed using our Gazebo's and thank you for choosing us to celebrate your birthday.

Rayleigh, United Kingdom
“Wouldn't rush back!”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

After a friend and her partner went here and recommended it I thought I would try with family.

I went on a Sunday lunch time around 1.00pm with family - the roast dinner we felt was rather large and the vegetables were the unusual type i.e. butternut squash of which most people don't eat including myself. Didn't get much meat, more vegetables than anything else. I had the posh chicken & chips of which I had more meat than the roast!

The restaurant is very nicely decorated, however, having the cutlery in a bowl on the table I don't think is hygenic as people could touch all items in there and you don't know what germs you could get.

The service was good until a big party and few other parties came in, then I don't think they had enough staff to cover the big party.

I don't think I would visit there again in a hurry.

• Visited July 2014
Thank you for your review.

As you can see we have many complements for our Sunday Roast dinners,

We do serve large portions and we do try and be different with our vegetables, we use fresh produce and work with seasonality,

I am sorry we didn't meet your expectations
Wickford, United Kingdom
“What a delight to go somewhere that have at last got it right!!”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Lovely Pub Restaurant. Went with friends for my birthday. Where to start - staff attentive, polite, courteous even though young in age! Setting inside - welcoming and friendly, Outside has a Mediterranean feel with the rattan soft cushion chairs and the gazebos with table, chairs, piped music!! :-) and heating!! They really have thought of everything to make you feel you are in an enjoyable and relaxing setting. I can honestly say that I have only experienced this kind of atmosphere while on holiday abroad. Food - we were a party of 8. No one in our party had any complaints about any of the dishes we chose and were served. The food was delicious. The choices on the menu were good too. The bar man - Dec did a great job. The drinks all chilled where needed and was able to suggest wines to try. The waiter and waitress that served our table were also great, ensuring we were treated well, looked after and happy! We were really looked after. We can only say that if you visit; which I would definitely recommend, that I hope your experience will be as enjoyable as ours!!! :-). :-)

• Visited July 2014
Thank you for your review and your kind words. All feedback received is passed on to our team and we will ensure your review is passed onto Declan,

The Gazebo's are new this year and we are very pleased to hear we have got it right (we too think it is a great area!!)