“Good hotel in decent location depending on what you are in Rotterdam for”

Van der Valk Hotel Rotterdam - Nieuwerkerk
Reviewed 16 August 2012

The Van Der Valk is in my experience a reliable chain. This is a large hotel. The rooms are clean with plenty of space and modern. It is literally next door to the zoo which was our main reason for staying here but is also a straightforward 15 minute walk into the centre of Rotterdam. It is a pleasant walk and although the hotel guidance gives you bus advice it really isnt necessary unless the weather is too wet to walk.
The staff were friendly and helpful. The hotel doesnt have a lot of character but it comes across as a more business trip type fo hotel.
The only issue is it has very limited parking meaning that you may need to pay for the parking opposite the hotel.

Room Tip: The hotel is set back from the main road and is not in a residential area so noise wasnt an issue
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Van der Valk Hotel Rotterdam - Nieuwerkerk

Reviewed 15 July 2012

When we come to Holland to see friends we stay at this hotel, we love this hotel, the rooms are spacious, the breakfast is amazing and the staff are so friendly and helpful. From this hotel you can easily get to Gouda and Rottadam, and about 5 minutes drive away is a huge shopping complex but I cant remember what it is called now. This hotel is next to the main dual carriageway but you do not get any noise from this, it is so quiet, an excellent nightclub near to this hotel is La Barrack, well worth a visit and in Nieuwerkerk Village there is an excellent Chinese called Jade Gardens, they do the most amazing food.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank kalzEngland
Reviewed 31 May 2012

This is a very modern hotel which is clean and airy, well placed at the outskirt of Rotterdam within an hour drive to Amsterdam and Keukendrof in Holland and Antwerp in Belgium. Other nearby places of interest include Delft, The Hague and Guoda and of course the ultra-modern Rotterdam seafront itself. Also on the doorstep is the Diergaarde Blijdorp (Rotterdam Zoo) which gets very busy over the weekend.

Instead of using the Van der Valk Hotel Rotterdam-Blijdrop as a stopover like many other tourists, we actually used the hotel as our base to explore Holland. We stayed there for two comfortable nights during our weekend short break from England to Holland. Rotterdam is about 3 hours drive from the Calais ferry terminal which makes it manageable in one single journey. The drive is of course less taxing when stopping at places like Bruges, Gent and Antwerp in Belgium or Breda after crossing the border.

Hotel has a 24 hour reception which is handy as we arrived there late on the first night. Some confusion with regard to breakfast but we managed to prove that the weekend rate we paid did include breakfast. As a result, we also received a complimentary upgrade from the classic room to the superior room as a good gesture from the hotel. Room was well laid out and the bathroom is very accessible with large wash basin and a walk-in shower unit. Comfortable beds and generally quiet despite its proximity to the city’s ring road. Hot buffet breakfast in the morning was nice with a wide variety of cold and hot food on offer. Restaurant was spacious and well decorated and the adjacent outdoor garden court was lovely in a sunny day. Staff have been very polite and approachable and overall a very good hotel for holiday makers who have their cars wanting to explore Holland and Belgium.

Room Tip: Look for weekend rate that includes the hot buffet breakfast. For family travelling with childen, bo...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 April 2012

my husband and i stayed in the hotel van der valk on a business trip on april 12th to april 14th, it was a lovely hotel very clean and modern and the staff were very friendly. The bedroom was big and very comfortable the bathroom was quite small but was sufficient and had a very powerful shower. Breakfast was excellent a great choice of both hot and cold food no complaints! We had dinner with a group of about 40 people on one night and that was also excellent, there is a zoo next door to the hotel and is definitely worth a visit. all in all i would definitely recommend this hotel and would certainly return to it!!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 February 2012

We had a good sized, quiet room on the ground floor. Excellent compact, modern bathroom. Comfortable bed and a decent tv.

A very pleasant comfortable bar area and the breakfast was good with a top quality assortment of meats, cheeses, pastries, fresh juices etc, even smoked salmon. Didn't use the restaurant at night as we had made other arrangements, though it looked very good.

Convenient for the motorway (though no noise from it) and we would certainly go back there.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Nige_and_Bee
Reviewed 14 January 2012

Friendly reception staff. Room was ok. The location of the hotel is excellent for business purposes. The beds were appointed perfectly: very comfortable mattress, great pillows and cozy covers. Breakfast was delicius. Free parking outside of the hotel. Nera to the airport.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Pawel_WRO
Reviewed 2 December 2011

I have used this Hotel for 15-years and always been happy. However my last stay was an absolute nightmare, with the reception staff in particular being very very unhelpful or caring. I stayed there for 3-nights. After arriving from the US I was met with what was in reality a building site, with the reception area, old bar area and meeting area being re-build. First morning had early start (business) went to breakfast which was supposed to start at 06;00hrs only to be met with staff still setting it out and no Hot food (still being cooked). Second morning awoken at 07:30hrs by banging of the pipes and other hammering - work had started downstairs and as I was on 1st floor all the noise was coming into my room. I phone reception just to be told yes work has started and what did I expect. I asked to speak to a Manager - NO Manager, he was on holiday : I asked for their regional Manager to contact me - NO regional Manager : I ask for one of the holding Company Managers to contact me - NO . However I was told that the work would not start untill 09:30hrs the following morning. Following breakfast I had a snooze (jet-lag). As room service could not get access during the morning, left bag of items towel etc for me to service the room myself !! Suffice to say I spoke to reception and got the room serviced. Second morning the workmen started before 07:30 wrang reception and again got absolutely no satisfaction or service whatsover. To say I am dissapointed is an understatement . After over 15-years of being a loyal customer I am now disgusted, not only at the Hotel staying open during this major refurbishsment, but the poor attitude of their staff. Will I stay then again "doubtfull"

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank baunach49
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nieuwerkerk aan den Ijssel
NH Capelle
#1 of 1 in Capelle aan den IJssel
Stadsdriehoek
Mainport Hotel
Mainport Hotel
#4 of 52 in Rotterdam
Novotel Rotterdam Brainpark
#11 of 52 in Rotterdam

Been to Van der Valk Hotel Rotterdam - Nieuwerkerk? Share your experiences!