Central Park, by Ron Blaauw
NH Den Haag(The Hague)
  • Pool
Hotel Astoria(The Hague)
  • Restaurant
All reviewsone nightfree parkingon arrivalexcellent ambiencecomfortable hoteldishescombinationchampagnedinerbathrobesheatingmeat
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 February 2012

We stayed in this small hotel and dined here for two nights while traveling in Holland. The room was very large and comfortable, with a plate of fresh fruit and cookies, a very large bathroom (which could have used some storage conveniences) and long windows looking out to a quiet semi-rural setting. The staff was wonderfully friendly and very accommodating. The highlight, however, is the dining room. We have visited many wonderful inns and Relais & Chateaux in Europe, and this one stands out. Henk Savelberg, the chef-owner, is not only a charming host, but an extraordinary chef. In our four meals there, two dinners and two breakfasts, there was nothing that was not excellent. The one dish that really impressed me was a menu offering of fried dried cod in a tomato sauce. Sounds very ordinary, doesn't it? Well, I have prepared and eaten a lot of "baccalà" and never did it come even close to this heavenly creation! Even fresh cod doesn't compare! It almost didn't matter what we ordered, everything was a wonderful sensory adventure.

Now, many months later, we enjoy fond memories of our two-day stay at the Savelberg as a highlight of our month-long trip through Holland, Belgium, Germany, and France.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank artichoke6
Reviewed 11 February 2012

this restaurant, where you will find also a few comfortable hotel rooms, is quite suitable if you like high standard in a classical interior. although the kitchen and restaurant are outstanding, it was a bit tight up. a good time for a visit is in the summer, when one can have an aperitif on a marvellous terrace with and have a overview over a very old park. the 19th century building used to be manor of a dutch prime minister (groen van prinsterer).

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 September 2011

Simply the best restaurant in the The Hague area:
Excellent food and wine. Perfect service from it's staff.
Stylish location. Beautiful garden.
A visit to this wonderful restaurant is highly recommended!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 July 2011

Only a few miles from busy Den Haag, this place is there to make you calm, relaxed and happy. High ceilings, chandeliers, a beautiful park surrounding the hotel - and a michelin restaurant with interesting wines make you feel in a totally other world.
Beds are very nice - however they cover you in heat so you will definitely awake in sweat....

Room Tip: Room 11 is nice, the business rooms are a bit bigger, and 1 of the suites has a hamam-shower..
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 April 2011

We stayed here over the flower parade weekend. I must say this is the first time we have slept on a memory foam mattress and it was excellent I am convinced we must buy one.

The staff are very polite as were the many Dutch people we spoke to. The hotel was clean, the bathroom was superb, clean towels and anything else you used was changed daily.

The location is in between 2 parks and is in the leafy suburb of Den Haag, Voorburg. It is very quiet. On Saturday we awoke early for the flower parade that starts in Noordwijk and was surprised to find a market had been set up in the street although we heard nothing. We didn't stop to see what was being sold as we had to get to Noordwijk for the parade to avoid the crowd and get a good spot.

Was it worth the €150 per night? Had it come with breakfast I would have said yes but at an extra €18.50 per person per night then no. I begrudge paying £32.50 for a croissant some fruit, yoghurt and a piece of ham and cheese 2 stars there I'm afraid. Charging for breakfast, parking and internet seems to be the norm in Holland and adds cost to your trip however at the Savelberg 20mb Wi-Fi (I tested the speed) came free and so did the parking so it made it a bit easier on the wallet.

We could not afford to eat in the restaurant for breakfast or dinner for the reasons above. We found some very good local restaurants which served value for money food.

Would I recommend this hotel, of course I would it was one of the best night’s sleep I have ever had in any hotel. I am not well off by any means and normally would find a cheaper hotel but wanted to 'splash out' and I'm glad we chose the Savelberg. You could tell the clientele that the hotel restaurant attracted by the car park as it looked like the Geneva Motor Show on Saturday night.

I don't rhink anyone could be dissapointed staying here.

Room Tip: Mind the slope as you come out of the reception
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple