“decent hotel in nice setting”

Hotel Landgoed Zonheuvel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Doorn
Reviewed 12 November 2013 via mobile

this hotel is nicely located in a estate near the township Doorn in the midst of Hollands green countryside.

+friendly staff
+nice location
+perfect for seminars etc
+good food
+nice furnished standard rooms but (see further)
+free parking but too dark and unguarded at night

-no coffee/the facilities /minibar
-standard room lacking of amenities, tv not convience located, no shaving mirror, no sufficient light while shaving, while showering the floor floods.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Reza G

Reviewed 28 June 2013 via mobile

This hotel in Doorn is a pearl in the middle of the forest. The hotel has been recently renewed and the lobby, rooms, and restaurant are really stylish and clean.
The train station which connect the hotel to Schipol airport is not far, so in 45 minutes you can easily be in Amsterdam. And Utrecht is closeby.
Breakfast is nicely served and there is a lot of food to choose from.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank 187791Mary
Reviewed 24 May 2013

I stayed in this hotel for two days on business, attending a conference. The nature around the hotel is beautiful and it is not very far from Doorn, which is a lovely little town. The room was rather small, but had a great bed. It actually looked pretty cute. It was only after I started unpacking that I realized that it must have been decorated by a person who had never spent a single day in a hotel.

There was absolutely no room to store clothes or luggage, even for one person, let alone two. The wardrobe was very small with only four coat hangers and a single shelf where a huge safe was placed, so no use of it.

There are no bed-side tables. There are two huge dark wooden blocks glued to the wall on both sides of the bed, but nothing can be placed on them, just taking up space.

The washbasin area is very small. An unprotected socket is ten cm away from the tap and in case you want to use a hairdryer, the only place where you can let it rest is - the washbasin (electricity and water are never a good combination.) Again, only one narrow shelf below the mirror, no room for toiletries.

The shower area is completely bare, one has to leave the toiletries on the floor, there is no place to hang a towel in there and there is no separation between the shower and the toilet area, so everything gets completely wet. You are expected to clean it with a mop which is "conveniently" placed in the shower for that purpose and kept there.

One thing that puzzled me completely was a massive piece of wood apparently placed in this minuscule room for decoration purposes (?!?). I moved it under the washbasin so that I do not walk into it upon entering my room, but the chambermaid put it back right in front of the door. Although she took good care of this stomp, she neglected to make my bed or change the towels left in the washbasin on the first day. The second day I placed them on the floor in the shower. She never visited my room, the towels were still lying there at 6pm when i finished work, and my bed was equally unmade as the day before.

Wireless network kept breaking, both in my room and the conference room during the entire stay. My colleagues kept complaining about it too. The receptionist said she was going to look into it, no result while I was there.

Heating was not working at all in the entire hotel. It was freezing cold. The receptionist led me to believe that I did not know how to switch it on and even made an extra key-card for me, so that I can leave it in the room when I am away and do not cut electricity. To no avail. When I complained about it the next morning, she said she would call maintenance. When I entered the restaurant and then the conference room, it was clear to me that there was no heating at all. They must have turned the system down counting for the winter being over and she simply lied about it and led me on. After having spent an entire day in a cold conference room, I asked for an electric heater that I was given in order not to return to the equally cold room. Since this was the third time I actually asked for something at the reception, I was labelled by the blond receptionist lady as a difficult client (in a conversation to her colleague while I was still standing there); in Dutch I actually do understand a bit. For what- wanting to have heating when it is around 8 degrees outside with wind freeze and a wireless that works in a hotel advertising itself as a conference centre ?!?

There was no constant flow of warm water in the shower. Imagine showering in a cold room, standing on the cold shower floor using a flow of cold water. The second day was a bit better since I had the heater, but the water was still cold.
Service in the restaurant was good with a couple of really nice waiters. However, at dinner time, I was not allowed to keep my bread plate once we finished with the starters (?!?). I had to plead to have it there during the main course as well. The conference food was bleak, but the a la carte lunch I had on the first day was quite good, although not really abundant. Breakfast was ok.

Finally, the evening before I was supposed to leave, I wanted to settle the bill in order to avoid getting up too early. It was around 10pm. I was told that this cannot be done since they are closed for the night and I can come back as of 6:45 in the morning. Never had a similar experience in any of the hotels I have ever stayed, but maybe they did have some kind of a reason for it.

This is definitely not a good conference venue and I am really sorry that they advertise it as such. They would do much better if they positioned themselves differently.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank WandaZg
Zonheuvel, Front Office Manager at Hotel Landgoed Zonheuvel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2013

Would you please contact me directly on itje.verhagen@landgoedzonheuvel.nl
I really would like to find out what has happend here.
Thank you in advance of contacting me, kind regards, Itje Verhagen (rooms division manager)

Reviewed 20 May 2013

Stayed for 18 nights on Business back in Nov 2012. The hotel is not really set up for long stays as there is a lack of storage space in the rooms. It seems to specialise in two night stays for conferences. The food in the restaurant is very good, I ate there most nights over the 18 night stay, and enjoyed every meal. Breakfast was also very good, an eat as much as you like buffet style, with plenty of choice.
The rooms are clean and functional and the hotel staff are friendly, professional and helpful.
The hotel is situated in a forest, but with easy access from main routes.
It can get busy when theres a conference on (which is most days) but the place copes with it well, nice and quiet on the weekends though.
Highly reccomended for short stays.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Bernie P
Reviewed 12 September 2012

I was desparate to find a room in Utrecht at a "normal" rate over last week end.
I went to the Utrecht tourist office and everything was booked up. So they suggested me to go to Doorn to see if I was more lucky.
Through the local VVV in Doorn, I found it.
Great discovery. Very silent and nice location out of the caos of the town!
We could run in the park, and Utrecht is just 20 minutes away.
Perfect location at normal rate.
Great breakfast included in the price

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 April 2011

Stayed for 3 days/2 nights for a conference meeting and the location is perfect. Near the highway but still in a forrest. Beautiful buildings, decent food and great beds in pretty small rooms.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Girl67
Reviewed 7 August 2007

Just spent a week at this conference centre. The facilities are good, and the food was really excellent. Our room was a bit small compared to what I was expecting, but was adequate. The thing that really sets Zonheuvel apart is its location - right in the middle of a huge forest. The nearest town (Doorn) is about 15 mins walk away. Overall impression: room 3*, food 5*, location: divine.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank princeofgonville
Also consider these accommodations in or near Doorn
4 mi away
#1 of 6 in Zeist
Hotel Schimmel
Hotel Schimmel
#1 of 1 in Woudenberg

Been to Hotel Landgoed Zonheuvel? Share your experiences!