“A Home Beach Hotel away from Home”
Review of Prainha Resort

Prainha Resort
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Dona Paula
Bangalore, India
“A Home Beach Hotel away from Home”
Reviewed 7 October 2010

It was a pleasure staying at the Prainha in Dona Paula, Goa.

We were a group of five persons - my wife and son and my Uncle and Aunty from the US.

Rather comfortable rooms (not five sart, but with all the basic amenities like 24/7 hot water, A/C, Cane furniture, Cable TV with in-house movies, in room and restaurant dining, internet from the business centre, secure vehicle parking, taxis etc.

The unique feature about the Prainha is that it has a demi dedicated semi-circular (about 1.5 km in diameter) flat sand beach with the tide coming up to the steps that lead on to a grass terrace and palm trees, which has swimming pool and restaurant.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank anilrai

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
chandigarh
Reviewed 11 September 2010

We stayed at the resort in July 2010. The resort is just on the ocean. The rooms are luxurious, equipped with LCD TV, comfortable beds, fridge and safety vault. The washrooms are also clean and modular. Though the hotel exterior is not good to see at, but once you are in the room, you feel like that you are putting in luxurious hotel. We stayed in room no 18, 19. Both of the rooms have attached gallery, which gives complete view of Indian Ocean. There are few coconut trees, which hinders between the gallery and the ocean view. So just ask the hotel management to allocate a room, which has the clear view of the ocean.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
3 Thank solisethi
jammu
Reviewed 25 July 2010

Our stay at the hotel was good. The hotel has a great view of the sea ,a small personal beach. swimming pool is ideally located with beach view and you can hear sound of waves in the pool which makes it even more relaxing. Their restaurant is also sea facing .The hotel is just 5mins walk away from the hub of beach sports in dona paula ,restaurants etc. Hotel also provides wi fi , internet and cab on call service.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ISHA23
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 22 June 2010

We stayed at Prainha for a couple of days in the summer 2009. It was like coming home since we had spent a couple of our earlier holidays there. The resort changed hands sometime in 2007. Should mention that the food quality has improved significantly since then.

What we love about the resort are cottage style rooms. Though not huge, they are a good size. Most sea facing rooms open out a small sit out and a further balcony. We loved the swimming pool where we usually swam after our swim in the sea in the evenings. THere is a restaurant by the pool facing the sea.

The food as I mentioned has improved significantly. Earlier we preferred having dinner in Panjim market hotels but the last time we were glad we had good food at the resort!

There is a small library with titles of all sorts and languages - mostly books left by the guests I presume. There is internet facility as well. The service is alright. Nothing to rave about though.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank Sindhu69
Mumbai
Reviewed 3 June 2010

Was great to be welcomed back to Prainha by Esther and her team...as usual impeccable, warm, friendly and non intrusive service, delicious meals that don't cost the earth, a fantastic view of the bay from the room which makes us keep coming back again and again - this is our 4th visit - and the newly renovated rooms and bathrooms...Esther, you've outdone yourself! Thank you...see you soon!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank travellerbob55
Hinckley
Reviewed 15 March 2010

I was over in Goa studying and photographing for 6 weeks. For the first week I stayed in Panaji center but decided to move out to the Prainha to get away from the dusty town and into a hotel with a swimming pool.

Pool/restaurant area:
When you walk down to the pool the scenery looks very lush with the view of the pool and all the sun chairs out on the grass overlooking the sea. You will have to make sure you book a sun bed by the way as they can be taken up quite quickly especially at weekends. As you walk towards the pool the stench of the sewerage from the from the toilets and the drain both which are right next to the kitchen fills the air. The management told me that it is from the house at the back of the hotel but you can blatantly smell it coming from their pipes on their land. I have, on a few occasions seen rats running down the pine trees and over the wall. I was told that they are after the milk in the coconuts and they don't bother putting poison down as it is only good if there is no water around and with the pool there they have plenty of water to drink and swim in. I should imagine that is why to pool seems to be only cleaned every other week. There were a few times when I wouldn't swim in there because it was full of algae.

Sea:
The sea is filthy there and every day there is a load of rubbish swept op onto the beach. I know the hotel cant help this and they do have people out there cleaning up the beach. I didn't bother going for a swim in the sea as I wasn't quite sure what the liquid was coming out from the kitchen across the beach and into the sea. When I was there there one of the guys I was on the course with got talking to a council bod who was taking water samples to try and stop the hotel from using the sea as their drain.

Food:
The food in the restaurant is okay as long as you get a dish that doesn't kill you. I had King fish peri peri, Chicken Tika, another chicken dish I cant remember and the milk in the morning for breakfast all of which made me ill. The milk actually put me in hospital and I needed a saline drip. I know it was the milk as when I had finished my cereal a woman complained that the milk was off and curdled in her coffee and I joked that I hope it doen't kill me. 3 hours later I will sick. I wasn't just the only one to fall ill from the food there as many others from the course fell foul (no pun intended) of the chicken dishes of which one guy had to go to hospital as well. If you are staying here then try to stick to the vegetarian dishes, the aloo gobi is very nice. All the breads are made in a clay oven which is a nice touch.

Bedroom:
The rooms are okay but do need a lick of paint. I believe that the standard beds are king size and they are pretty comfortable. They have air conditioning which is a bit noisy but it is a must in the heat. The staff have on the odd occasion left my door and others unlocked after they have cleaned it. I only saw one cockroach while I was there in my room which is pretty good for India as there are a lot of places crawling with them.

Internet:
There are 2 very slow computer in a room which you can browse the web on or you can pay 1000 rupees for 2 weeks wireless internet with a limit of 512k. I paid for 2 weeks and only got the internet every other day or less. I asked the management to extend my internet or refund me but they didn't want to do either. I am pretty sure that they turn the internet off or throttle it at times as well to stop people using up the bandwidth.

Staff:
The staff are very friendly and I got on really well with a lot of them. A few of them told me that they are not happy and the management are just greedy and not willing to listen to the staff or the customers. They pay a minimum wage, about 3000 rupees per month which is about £1.40 per day, and charge a price that is relevant to a hotel in the UK. The place has been taken over by new owners in the past few years and some regulars that have been going there for years are very disappointed on how the place is going. Considering Thomas Cook used to do holidays at the hotel when the previous owner was there and now don't should give you some Idea of how the place is going.

Management:
The management are very quick to take your money and not give you customer service. My hospital bill came to 15000 rupees, about £215. The management told me that they have never had complaints before and they are not going to give me anything off the bill for me not staying there one night or for the food that I and others have had to suffer. They didn't even want to give me any money back for the internet I had paid for but never got. They just don't want to seem to acknowledge the fact that people are getting ill from the food or that the customer might be right.
i am not going to recommend staying there as I wouldn't want to be responsible for anyones death or illness, but as long as you stay away from the meat and make sure the milk is not off you might be alright. Also if you wanted to query the bill, forget it. They just will not listen to you and hope that you go away and don't cause too much of a fuss.

have a look at y blog at http://byronbayer.blogspot.com for a day to day of what I did over the 6 weeks.
Also there are some photos here http://picasaweb.google.com/byronbayer

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
5 Thank byronbayer
kolkata
Reviewed 2 February 2010

Prainha at Dona Paula is a compact but perfect resort with its very own private beach though the water is muddy. at high tide the water almost reaches the boundary of the resort. it is wonderful to sit there beside the sea in the evening and dine on delicious food served. the restaurant staff is very helpful and also cooked food suitable for my three year old son. the view from our cottage patio was like those in postcards. jacob the manager was also very helpful and assisted us in our sightseeing trips. The resort being just 10 mins from Panjim, and 1 hour from Colva beach or Calangute beach, one can use this resort as a base to see all of goa.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
#1 of 3 in Bambolim
Santana Beach Resort
Santana Beach Resort
#3 of 65 in Candolim

Been to Prainha Resort? Share your experiences!