“snotty service and a rip-off”

The Boathouse Bistro
Ranked #2 of 3 Restaurants in Ardgour
Price range: US$7 - US$24
Cuisines: Seafood, Scottish
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Boathouse Restaurant is located on the picturesque Kingairloch Estate, about an hours drive from Fort William. Menus feature produce grown in the estate's walled garden, seafood from local waters and wild venison from the surrounding mountains. It is a perfect place for visiting yachts in the area as there are free moorings. It is advisable to book ahead as the restaurant is an intimate dining experience.
Reviewed 27 August 2014

I've been to this restaurant 4 times now, and each time the service and the food have got worse. There are very limited options in the Ardgour area for a classy place to eat, but even so, my heart sank when my friends suggested taking me and my partner out for lunch to The Boathouse for a joint birthday celebration. Very sadly, this time the food was almost inedible, super expensive, and the service was beyond bad. We waited and waited and waited to be served - even tho there was only one other table of 4 in. The waitress - who I think is the owner - was so supercilious she didn't look at any of us at any point, never cracked a smile, and spent 99% of her time chatting in a languid manner to the chef across the bar - completely ignoring politely-waving hands, coughs, and Excuse Me's from both tables. When I went to pay, she called me Sir - not once, but twice. I am not only a woman, but I was wearing a flowery dress, and long ear-rings, I have long blonde hair and a 38DD bust!!! Yup, this is how much she didn't bother deigning to even look at her customers who she charged through the nose for a truly awful lunch. We all swore that was the final time we gave The Boathouse any of our custom. A great shame because the location is gorgeous, and the place is nicely decked out. But no matter the limited competition in the area, I'd rather have to go through lambing every month of the year than bother with that place again.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

we were on a boat around mull and a freind reccomended this place. you won't be dissapointed.
we used one of six moorings out in the bay for free that night, the boat house only seats 24 people so book in advance, and its only open thurs to sun incl we got the last four places and had to go at 6.30 pm as a larger party was in later. you can see the chef cooking and he's totally in control. his wife does front of house exceptionally aswell. i'll try to put some photos up if i can. we had a shared seafood platter to start then two venison off the estate and seafood scallops .our bill was £170 for four . this was the best meal we had in scotland. getting there by car will be an adventure in itself as it is out of the way but the views are stunning. the best way to arrive is by boat. we will be back definately

Reviewed 20 July 2014

We ate at the Boathouse twice on our visit to Kingairloch and it would have been three times if they had not been fully booked on a Thursday evening which took us by surprise and really says everything about the restaurant. It is a real asset to the estate both from the quality of the food served and the friendliness of the staff which you cannot fault. The location is very special and despite being the only place to eat for miles around the Boathouse does not rest on its laurels but delivers a first class dining experience - its not cheap though. A definite recommendation.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

We sat outside on the decking and looked down the loch, beautiful! It looked like rain but we sat outside as long as we could because of the view.
The food was excellent, my husband and I shared a fish platter it was great as was the venison which followed. Very friendly place,

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Open Thursday - Sunday, we were able to use wifi here, have morning coffee and enjoy lunch. Friendly, responsive service and great views. Children could fish off the pier. Food was fresh an local - fantastic quality - wish we could have afforded dinner! Wine list looks good. We would have come back in evenings if price was right. Great place for yachts to shelter and crew to eat!
Thank you for service - would travel from Fort William for the food!