“shameless profiteering”

La Reunion Golf Resort & Residences
Reviewed 27 May 2012

today we ate at the restaurant where we have enjoyed many good times but today we asked for the wine list and ordered a wine only to be told that a "new wine list" was active and we should consult the new list. Surprisingly the prices were circa 80% higher ( yes quite incredible) but, we were in party mod so ordered wine regardless. When the bill came they had added $10 for corkage !!! There was no mention of corkage on the win list. Why?? Because now there is a wine shop called Vinoteca in the hotel and the wine list from this shop is pushed to the customers with no mention of corkage.
To my mind this is blatant profiteering by La Reunion and their new partner Vinoteca. We objected and refused to pay the corkage but paid the inflated price of the wine. They have just lost regular customers ...perhaps they don't care - presumably Vinoteca are paying a handsome rent for their exclusive and exorbitantly overpriced outlet in the hotel but this is profiteering on a scale I have not encountered anywhere else in the world and a smear on the reputation of Guatemala.

Room Tip: eat in Antigua and skip this den of thieves.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank Peckhamgypsy
There are newer reviews for La Reunion Golf Resort & Residences

Reviewed 19 May 2012

My husband and I stayed here for a group retreat and had a really nice time. Breakfast was our favorite meal. Desserts were pretty amazing too! The waitstaff was quick and eager to help.

Con: bugs! Bring bug spray, keep your lights off when opening your room in the evening, the couple's massage tried upcharging us by $45 EACH! (the hotel staff fixed this issue)

Pro: Super private, beautiful landscape, food is well priced

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 April 2012

Overall, we had a great time. My husband has been golfing for 30 years and said that this was one of the best courses he has ever played at. I am newer to golf, but i really enjoyed it. The course is stunning, but also challenging. The rates were good.

The rooms are fantastic. The private pool and hot tub were lovely. The bathrooms are also great.

The setting is beautiful.

Here are the issues:
1. The food is not great. There's nothing authentic on the menu. And since I wasn't going to eat italian food in Guatemala, it got boring after a few days. They should add some authentic dishes to the menu.
2. The place is totally different during the week than on the weekends. I despised the place on the weekend. We felt like unwelcome guests at a crazy, bustling Latin American country club. Everyone seemed to know one another and there were tons and tons of people and unsupervised children running around. After our first lunch experience, which was a nightmare, I thought that if we ate at 9pm we could potentially have a romantic dinner since I assumed all the children would be in bed. I was wrong! There were literally hords of kids running through the restaurant, knocking into our table constantly, and yelling at the top of their lungs. Who knows where their parents were and god help the wait staff. This was a HUGE turn off and had things not changed come Sunday evening, we would have checked out. So if you are looking for a relaxed, romantic trip, I would consider strategically booking during the week.
3. The staff on the weekend were completely and totally overwhelmed. It took us 2 hours to eat lunch on Saturday. 40 minutes just to get a beverage. This is a joke. During the week, however, the staff learned our names and were much more attentive. Another complaint about the staff is that on our first day, i asked for a yoga mat. They have many pictures of yoga on their website so I assumed they'd have mats there. No mats. I asked them to get me one to either borrow or buy. It took them several days. I received it on the afternoon before I checked out the following morning. They should get some mats there if they are going to have so many pictures of people doing yoga on their website and consider offering yoga classes on a regular basis.
4. Music- PLEASE get some new music for the restaurant. It's horrible and it seems like they only have one CD on repeat the entire time.
5. General ambiance- besides the less than palatable fare, the restaurant, as I noted, was either overrun with people and screaming, unattended children or during the week there was was zero ambiance. One night when we went to dinner, we were the only ones dining. They had no music on, no candles lit, nothing. We had to ask them to put on music (of course, the same CD again, but some background music is better than nothing). It just felt neglected and depressing and overall the dining experience was just super disappointing. We decided to have the rest of our meals in our room.
6. Antigua is NOT close. They make it sound like it's 20 minutes away. It's more like 45 minutes. Taxi drivers do not know how to find La Reunion. So I would advise using their service even though it's rather expensive.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 March 2012

Beautiful place, the rooms are amazing. If you can, ask for a room facing the first hole. Great place for couples, not a good place if you are looking for Antigua's nightlife, since it is half hour away.

Service is great, food is ok, they changed chef a couple of weeks ago.

Waking up early to watch the volcanoes is totally worth it.

I've been in great hotels in different parts of the world and the rooms in this hotel are one of the best I've seen.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the first hole are my favorites, bigger pool, better view and a little more private.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 March 2012

This place is incredible. When you get into your room, you will literally saw "wow." I have traveled all over the place, and this spot was one of the best I've been to ever.

If you are going with a special person, book the Romance Package. Definitely a nice touch. You can have room service delivered to your room and they will set everything up on the back patio next to the temperature controlled pool. Try the risotto.

I don't golf, but the course looked pretty nice. Just know going in that there isn't much around the resort. It's about 9 miles to Antigua. There's really no reason to leave the resort.

Only downside - if you book a massage don't expect them to be on time. Not a huge deal, but an hour late is water under the bridge to them.

Room Tip: I want to say rooms around 1306 were really good. Just ask for "the best" and they should...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 February 2012

I love settling down in Antigua Guatemala for the winter. With all its restaurants, sights, interesting people, and surprises, Antigua makes a great home base after escaping winter up north. But like many people that spend time in Antigua, there comes a moment when you crave a brief change of scenery and activity outside of the cobblestones and colonial architecture.

Often, when this feeling creeps in, most people make their way to Lake Atitlan for a few days - to swim, kayak, explore the towns around the lake, or just stare at the lake as it changes hour by hour.

Lately, I found a different Antigua diversion - golf. I usually save my time on the links for summer days with my friends at home, but visiting the La Reunion golf course, 10km out of Antigua, had me fantasizing about trying a few rounds down here in Guatemala. The course has only been around for a few years and I was lucky enough to be treated to tour of the course in one of their shining new golf carts. I went there during the week and the course wasn’t busy. With no golfers in front of them and no one behind, the golfers I did see must have felt the luxury of having the whole course to themselves.

Surrounded by lush rolling hills of perfect green grass, it felt like a welcome relief to all the senses. There were luxurious landscaping touches everywhere. All this beauty was nestled within a backdrop of magical volcanoes. The course is a Pete Dyes design. Many fairways looked long, narrow and challenging. For this high handicap golfer with a rusty swing, I found myself calculating how many extra balls I would need to carry in my golf bag to finish a round. Watching one party of golfers putt out, I could see that the putting greens were deceptive and challenging too. I decided that even a high score wouldn’t tarnish the pleasure of playing this beautiful course.

A few days at the La Reunion resort are in the plans for me. After seeing the course, I am itching to get back there, take a quick practice at their driving range, buy some extra golf balls and tee off.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 February 2012

Gorgeous views of the volcanoes and a peaceful environment that will guarantee an unforgettable stay. If you enjoy golf, this is a course you you cannot miss. Champagne by the pool in your suite beautiful sky at night and breathtaking sunrise make this the perfect place for that special occasion. I stayed here celebrating my birthday and found a suite decorated with candles, roses, and shinny confeti everywhere. An early rumble of the volcano adds an extra touch in this enchanting setting. Staff goes above and beyond to make your experience truly unforgettable. It is certainly a place I want to visit everytime I go to Guatemala.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alotenango
Hotel Museo Spa Casa Santo Domingo
El Convento Boutique Hotel
Porta Hotel Antigua
Porta Hotel Antigua
#3 of 75 in Antigua

Been to La Reunion Golf Resort & Residences? Share your experiences!