“Our June visit”

La Reunion Golf Resort & Residences
“Our June visit”
Reviewed 26 June 2012

Nick,

I want to take this opportunity to thank you for the wonderful experiences
you have given us to play golf at Fuego Maya.  Our most recent visit with
Mr. Taylor and Mr. Thompson was perfect.  Mr. Taylor is the Chairman of the
Board for World Help and Mr. Thompson is the Senior Vice President.  We were
able to play five rounds in four days.  We even took a helicopter back from
Zacapa where we are involved in providing a children's hospital to squeeze
in an additional round on Sunday.

Mr. Taylor and I have had the opportunity to play some of the finest golf
courses in the world including Augusta National numerous times, St. Andrews
Old Course, Pinehurst Number Two, Torrey Pines, Pebble Beach, Congressional,
Bandon Dunes, Doral, Greenbrier, Carnoustie, Turnburry, Royal Portrush and
many other of the famous courses in Ireland just to name a few.

We consider our experience at La Reunion to be as good if not better than
most of these.  The sheer beauty of the setting of three volcanoes cannot be
compared with any other golf course in the world.

Your staff is incredible, especially Silvia.  They have made every visit a
memorable one.  At present I am bringing small groups of golfers almost
every month so far in 2012.  I plan to bring a larger group of 20 golfers in
August for two days of golf.

The caddies are the best we have ever seen, including Augusta.  Their course
knowledge and ability to read the greens is impeccable.  In addition, they
are gracious and polite.  They are a joy to work with.

The course is also in impeccable condition and challenging.  My favorite
course by far in all the world.

Thank you for the personal attention you have afforded us each time we
visit.  You have personally made sure every detail of our trips are attended
to.  One of the highlights of the year was to play in your Beat the Pro golf
tournament.  What a memorable day.

La Reunion is the best kept secret in all of Guatemala.  I am doing
everything possible to make sure as many people as possible hear about your
incredible resort and course, including many government and embassy
personnel in Guatemala City.  I am also doing my best to make sure many more
Americans know about La Reunion.  I want them to enjoy what we are enjoying.

I am looking forward to returning in a few weeks.  This time we want to stay
at La Reunion rather than Camino Real is Antigua.  Thank you for assisting
us with this.  I will email you the details soon.

I look forward to a long relationship and look forward to seeing you again
soon.  Thank you for providing us a world class golf experience.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Nicholas Z

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Reviewed 9 June 2012

We spent our 25th Wedding Anniversary at La Union. The staff went all-out to make our suite a romantic setting. It was as though we were on our Honeymoon! We chose to dine in, at their suggestion. The setting was perfect! The food was delicious. The views from the suites are absolutely breath-taking and majestic. With the private pool, you never have to leave your suite, if you don't want to. We have done a business event there and been to the restaurant numerous times since. The staff always remembers our names and make us feel special. La Union is definitely a 5 star for us!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 May 2012

today we ate at the restaurant where we have enjoyed many good times but today we asked for the wine list and ordered a wine only to be told that a "new wine list" was active and we should consult the new list. Surprisingly the prices were circa 80% higher ( yes quite incredible) but, we were in party mod so ordered wine regardless. When the bill came they had added $10 for corkage !!! There was no mention of corkage on the win list. Why?? Because now there is a wine shop called Vinoteca in the hotel and the wine list from this shop is pushed to the customers with no mention of corkage.
To my mind this is blatant profiteering by La Reunion and their new partner Vinoteca. We objected and refused to pay the corkage but paid the inflated price of the wine. They have just lost regular customers ...perhaps they don't care - presumably Vinoteca are paying a handsome rent for their exclusive and exorbitantly overpriced outlet in the hotel but this is profiteering on a scale I have not encountered anywhere else in the world and a smear on the reputation of Guatemala.

Room Tip: eat in Antigua and skip this den of thieves.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank Peckhamgypsy
DFW, TX
Reviewed 19 May 2012

My husband and I stayed here for a group retreat and had a really nice time. Breakfast was our favorite meal. Desserts were pretty amazing too! The waitstaff was quick and eager to help.

Con: bugs! Bring bug spray, keep your lights off when opening your room in the evening, the couple's massage tried upcharging us by $45 EACH! (the hotel staff fixed this issue)

Pro: Super private, beautiful landscape, food is well priced

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 30 April 2012

Overall, we had a great time. My husband has been golfing for 30 years and said that this was one of the best courses he has ever played at. I am newer to golf, but i really enjoyed it. The course is stunning, but also challenging. The rates were good.

The rooms are fantastic. The private pool and hot tub were lovely. The bathrooms are also great.

The setting is beautiful.

Here are the issues:
1. The food is not great. There's nothing authentic on the menu. And since I wasn't going to eat italian food in Guatemala, it got boring after a few days. They should add some authentic dishes to the menu.
2. The place is totally different during the week than on the weekends. I despised the place on the weekend. We felt like unwelcome guests at a crazy, bustling Latin American country club. Everyone seemed to know one another and there were tons and tons of people and unsupervised children running around. After our first lunch experience, which was a nightmare, I thought that if we ate at 9pm we could potentially have a romantic dinner since I assumed all the children would be in bed. I was wrong! There were literally hords of kids running through the restaurant, knocking into our table constantly, and yelling at the top of their lungs. Who knows where their parents were and god help the wait staff. This was a HUGE turn off and had things not changed come Sunday evening, we would have checked out. So if you are looking for a relaxed, romantic trip, I would consider strategically booking during the week.
3. The staff on the weekend were completely and totally overwhelmed. It took us 2 hours to eat lunch on Saturday. 40 minutes just to get a beverage. This is a joke. During the week, however, the staff learned our names and were much more attentive. Another complaint about the staff is that on our first day, i asked for a yoga mat. They have many pictures of yoga on their website so I assumed they'd have mats there. No mats. I asked them to get me one to either borrow or buy. It took them several days. I received it on the afternoon before I checked out the following morning. They should get some mats there if they are going to have so many pictures of people doing yoga on their website and consider offering yoga classes on a regular basis.
4. Music- PLEASE get some new music for the restaurant. It's horrible and it seems like they only have one CD on repeat the entire time.
5. General ambiance- besides the less than palatable fare, the restaurant, as I noted, was either overrun with people and screaming, unattended children or during the week there was was zero ambiance. One night when we went to dinner, we were the only ones dining. They had no music on, no candles lit, nothing. We had to ask them to put on music (of course, the same CD again, but some background music is better than nothing). It just felt neglected and depressing and overall the dining experience was just super disappointing. We decided to have the rest of our meals in our room.
6. Antigua is NOT close. They make it sound like it's 20 minutes away. It's more like 45 minutes. Taxi drivers do not know how to find La Reunion. So I would advise using their service even though it's rather expensive.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Guatemala City, Guatemala
Reviewed 23 March 2012

Beautiful place, the rooms are amazing. If you can, ask for a room facing the first hole. Great place for couples, not a good place if you are looking for Antigua's nightlife, since it is half hour away.

Service is great, food is ok, they changed chef a couple of weeks ago.

Waking up early to watch the volcanoes is totally worth it.

I've been in great hotels in different parts of the world and the rooms in this hotel are one of the best I've seen.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the first hole are my favorites, bigger pool, better view and a little more private.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 16 March 2012

This place is incredible. When you get into your room, you will literally saw "wow." I have traveled all over the place, and this spot was one of the best I've been to ever.

If you are going with a special person, book the Romance Package. Definitely a nice touch. You can have room service delivered to your room and they will set everything up on the back patio next to the temperature controlled pool. Try the risotto.

I don't golf, but the course looked pretty nice. Just know going in that there isn't much around the resort. It's about 9 miles to Antigua. There's really no reason to leave the resort.

Only downside - if you book a massage don't expect them to be on time. Not a huge deal, but an hour late is water under the bridge to them.

Room Tip: I want to say rooms around 1306 were really good. Just ask for "the best" and they should...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alotenango
Hotel Museo Spa Casa Santo Domingo
El Convento Boutique Hotel
Porta Hotel Antigua
Porta Hotel Antigua
#3 of 75 in Antigua

Been to La Reunion Golf Resort & Residences? Share your experiences!