Breath- taking , the first words that come to mind when you drive up the long hill and first behold what awaits you. The moment I stepped out of my taxi I knew I had made a wonderful decision. What this place embodies is warmth, the amazing views in almost any direction you look makes this feel like a true paradise. With 4 volcanoes all around and Fuego constantly smoking , made for the most beautiful photos.
I will highlight everything I loved and then my downsides:
View- like no other , miles of pure lush greenery.
- * must wake up early at least 6 am to really appreciate the true beauty of this place , all volcanoes are usually in full view with not a cloud in sight.
- I'm not a golfer, but the golf course looked marvelous, a few times during my visit people flew in on a helicopter ( there's a helipad) to play a few rounds of golf then fly back out.
Food- Amazing from the first day the chef came up and said don't hesitate to ask for something , and he was true to his word . Anything I asked he delivered , and it was totally delicious. Just may be the best quesadilla and ceviche I've ever had.
Bar ( needed its own line) - since I spent most evening here, actually all except one pouring night . The bartender knew how to make great drinks, when we weren't downing a cold Gallo, the margarita filled in nicely and the Guatemalan rum Zacapa was just as tasty.
Staff- knew our name from the first day, extremely courteous, friendly and helpful. Raul, Mynor , Chef Amicar , Julio and christian have to get special mention, since they made my visit complete.
- Excellent wifi throughout property.
A few of my downsides:
- The hotel is located to far from action and the town of Antigua , and this is only an issue since their service to the town is $80 roundtrip ( OUCH) . it took about 25 mins to Antigua but I most certainly wouldn't pay $80 daily so at times you feel forced to remain at Hotel , which actually wouldn't be an issue if there were several and a wide variety of activities or tours planned from there.
- Also, this is my first time in history travelling and a bathroom not having a washcloth, this may not be an issue for others but my shower isn't complete without one. ( I will say after inquiry they found one and provided it but I had that same one for the entire stay which made me think its a rare commodity).
-Again this have to do with the distance- I think maybe Friday and Saturday nights should have at least a little music with some dancing if going into Antigua isn't as accessible and pricey.
- Concierge staff spoke limited English , sometimes got lost in translation.
- swim- up bar and the Snack bar was closed the entire time I was there, real bummer.
- More traditional Guatemalan meals should be on menu, I travel to a foreign place to indulge in their culture. ( but as stated earlier the chef was extremely flexible and more than accommodating so my off the menu meals were excellent).
I think I've touch my major points, this hotel was suitable for my purpose, after months of pure exhaustion, I just wanted to rest and have a quiet birthday. I got just that, staff who treats you like royalty and total peace of mind. Simply Paradise.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- La Reunion Golf Resort and Residences is located 20 minutes from the colonial city of Antigua, declared a Heritage of Humanity Site by UNESCO in 1979. Built on an old coffee plantation, it is surrounded by four volcanoes. The centerpieces of the project are an 18 hole Pete and Perry Golf Course and a 26 all suite boutique hotel and villas. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travel Republic (UK), Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Expedia, Odigeo, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your La Reunion Golf Resort & Residences reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- La Reunion Golf Resort And Residences Hotel Antigua