“the old lady has class”
Review of Pitea Stadshotell

Pitea Stadshotell
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Pitea
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Criticizing this hotel as some have done on tripadvisor is a bit like saying that Claudia Cardinale looked better when she was 25 than she does now: unfair! The hair is grey and there are some wrinkles, but the grand old Pitea Stadshotell is still a classy broad.

The hotel has not been renovated in a long time, but this is part of the charm: the old fashioned furniture, the bed that swallows you up and its thick, fluffy comforters, the period light fixtures and grand staircase. This is a place with personality. The outside of the hotel looks like the luxury hotels of yore. Film buffs will think of the hotels in Death in Venice or The Shining (still up and running on Mount Hood in Oregon). There are many ghosts at the Pitea Stadshotell.

The restaurant serves excellent reindeer filet, cooked to order, and other simply, but well-prepared dishes. Its prices are not low (Kr80 for a glass of table wine), but this is Sweden! The service by a group of young female hipsters is first class.

The décor is quirky. Personally, I would get rid of the big screen TVs and Salvador Dalí prints and keep the old fashioned look. The wooden floors, large full length mirrors, sauna in the basement and style from a by gone era are what make this hotel so nice. Guests who believe that a four star hotel means hair dryers and mini bars should join DSK at the nearest Novotel or similar chain.

The breakfast is excellent, with all of the choices you would expect to find in a hotel of this level. Be sure to take it to the room next to that with the buffet in order to enjoy the grandeur of the place.

The service in the hotel is hit or miss. Look for the young female hipsters if you want prompt service. Some of the frumpy Swedes can be gruff and unhelpful (Do you have espresso? "No." Is there a place with a smoke sauna near Pitea? "Ask at the tourist office."). If you choose your staff member carefully, all will be well. Hopefully the owners will take notice and hire more trendy young staff.

I travel a lot and like to stay in hotels that are part of the local culture, instead of anonymous business chains that are the same if you are in Hong Kong, New York or Bangladesh. If you are like me, be sure to stay at the Pitea Stadshotell!

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room. As strange as it may seem in Pitea, the hotel faces a busy street. Since the...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 11 May 2013

We stayed here for one night in the winter. The building is old and interesting and the room was modern and clean. The price was reasonable, the breakfast good and the evening meal in the restaurant was really lovely. There is outside car heater points available. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 November 2012

Does what it says on the tin.
Electric connection for car at rear car park a plus!
Breakfast included. Different character depending on where you are in the hotel property, dwindling corridors. Piteå is a hotel close to the Arctic Circle (at least en route) renowned for its long sandy beach. Must be back in summer and check it out!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank fredinbrixton
Reviewed 11 November 2012

On our epic adventure ice racing and chasing the northern lights we had to find a place to stop for the night. After skimming the net while on the move (I had a killer mobile bill to prove that a month later) I saw this rather grand but imposing building that looked like a little bit of luxury I craved for the night. We located it after going through an industrial types of town that took us further into the town centre. We had our own car so we thought nothing lost by pulling up as I darted in to see what the rooms were like and if I could barter a deal. I'm not adversed to walking away if I don't like what I see, because through past experience these grand places can look great in the halls but tired and dated in the actual rooms. Its was about 5.30pm and snowing (as usual in feb) so I spoke to a fairly reserved but confused receptionist who after us coming to an agreement on what I was willing to pay (roughly £100 a night, inc breakfast) she gave me a key to look at a 'good' room. It was alright but I was in the mood for something better. The place seemed quiet so I chanced my hand and asked for the upgraded version. She recoiled with a little surprise, then I looked like I was going to go, and thanked her for her assistance. As I turned she said she had something else and my word it was super lovely! (room 222) I went back out to my husband, who I think was more worried about how expensive the place looked! He was just happy to get a rest and if I liked the place, cause I am the problem. (he's not fussy as you can guess).

The parking was easy and looked secure (even had car heaters to plug into) The grand staircases and lovely furniture looked well placed and not tired, with updated touches. The room was beautifully decorated, clean and spacious. We made a dinner reservation which was below the hotel which again was well presented and service was great. We decided to have traditional swedish meal which some it was good, some quite rank (mixed platter for tasters) but we were relaxed and wanted to enjoy the full dining experience which we don't regret. (restaurant 1906 - Scandinavian steakhouse)

The breakfast was massive buffet and we were spoilt for choice. There was two young girls looking after the buffet and they simply didn't want to be there yawning away which was a shame but maybe they had a late night! (we certain did ironically we got stuck in a ditch till 1pm with the motor chasing the lights. (lucky a friendly farmer pulled us out and we got to enjoy our room!)

the farmer and his wife gets 5* for saving us in -18

Room Tip: I could see it possibliy could be noisy but our room 222 was out the way and facing the main street...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ecosse-explorers
Reviewed 10 November 2012

The hotel building was built as early as in year 1906, and it is a rather grand construction. The hotel has kept most of a rather aged interior…for example in the reception area where you will find heavy, leather armchairs. The colors are mostly dark brown.

The main impression when entering the hotel is that times has passed…but that the hotel hasn’t progressed in the same pace. The welcoming at the reception desk was absolutely nice enough, and not as stressed as you can experience in larger cities. (The city of Pitea is a small town.) The atmosphere is more laid-back and relaxed, so to say.

My room was at the first floor, with a nice wide bed. The room’s hard-wooded floor (which is much better than filthy wall-to-wall carpets) was nice, and it had a sofa, a desk for my PC; a press for the trousers. However, I found the room some kind of naked, impersonal and general boring.
The bathroom however, was quite nice with floor heating, a modern shower cabin, a large sink as well as a large mirror etc. The only drawback was that one of the two lamps, at the one side of the mirror, didn’t work.

The window of my room faced toward some kind of a rather unattractive backyard where some cars were parked (with some noise early in the morning…).
However, when raising my eyes a bit, the view from the room partly was towards a local church and a part of the park surrounding it as well (see picture).

The next morning, when coming to the breakfast, I noticed that the hotel’s restaurant really is big….as it is consisting of 3-4 different parts / rooms. Even here the all through color is brown. There were a lot of people everywhere, due to some conferences & meeting about to start.
The breakfast was far away from an outstanding one…though you could find the usual assortment of different ham, cheese etc., etc…. as well as some hot dishes. The fresh baked bread was very good.
The number of, and the range of morning newspapers was very disappointing. Even this hotel didn’t have my favorite newspaper (i.e. the second large morning paper in Sweden, i.e. the “Svenska Dagbladet”).

The geographical location of the hotel is quite good. You’ll have about 250 meters walk to the main pedestrian street (Storgatan).

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Homevalley55
Reviewed 17 August 2012

Check if they are going to have a nightclub during your stay or bring earplugs. It is 01:20am and the extremely loud thumping music is keeping me awake. I enjoy such music myself, but at the right time and place - not when I am paying large sums of money for a room and need to get up early. In general the hotel is OK but is overpriced for the facilities provided and not 4 star. The curtains provide very little blackout and i had sun shining onto my face at about 0400 . The included breakfast and free wifi are good points. Decor is a little dated and drab but it is clean. There is no room safe. Many of the double rooms have two separate single beds so specify if you want an actual double. The check in staff were quite helpful when we asked to change to a double (which is what we booked). It is now 0200 and the music is just as loud. After some trial and error ( no numbers given on phone) i managed to get through to reception who said they would investigate........0230 no change.... Overall rating has just gone down to 2.

• Stayed: August 2012
3  Thank Outsmit
Reviewed 29 May 2012

Nicely renovated old building, comfortable rooms, good breakfast and friendly staff. Everything just works :-)

Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business