“Tropical heat” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Pitea
Skelleftea, Sweden
“Tropical heat”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

We had a great stay at Piteå Stadshotell during a very hot week in early August. A nice big room in this classic old Hotel. It is located in the heart of the town, shopping just outside and a short walk to Nolia

Room Tip: 222 is a special room with different beds (one half soft, the other hard)
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Karleby
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

This hotel is located in the heart of Piteå. The building is beautiful, really something else. The rooms are ok. Not small not big, no extras. The breakfast is ok but the lunch is very good to a very good price. The staff was ok, not very helpful but ok. A beautiful building but everything else is average.

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Mimmie H
Buzau, Romania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

Old but nice and comfortable hotel. Very interesting when it's viewed from outside and also inside. Pretty nice, cosy rooms - quite well arranged and equipped with minimum necessary. The reception staff was very helpful and friendly. I hadn't any kind of problems and I stayed here for 2 nights. It was very interesting to watch "The white nights", quite typically for the region and this time of the year. If you are not a picky person then this hotel is exactly what you need! Recommended!

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Lyon, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

Criticizing this hotel as some have done on tripadvisor is a bit like saying that Claudia Cardinale looked better when she was 25 than she does now: unfair! The hair is grey and there are some wrinkles, but the grand old Pitea Stadshotell is still a classy broad.

The hotel has not been renovated in a long time, but this is part of the charm: the old fashioned furniture, the bed that swallows you up and its thick, fluffy comforters, the period light fixtures and grand staircase. This is a place with personality. The outside of the hotel looks like the luxury hotels of yore. Film buffs will think of the hotels in Death in Venice or The Shining (still up and running on Mount Hood in Oregon). There are many ghosts at the Pitea Stadshotell.

The restaurant serves excellent reindeer filet, cooked to order, and other simply, but well-prepared dishes. Its prices are not low (Kr80 for a glass of table wine), but this is Sweden! The service by a group of young female hipsters is first class.

The décor is quirky. Personally, I would get rid of the big screen TVs and Salvador Dalí prints and keep the old fashioned look. The wooden floors, large full length mirrors, sauna in the basement and style from a by gone era are what make this hotel so nice. Guests who believe that a four star hotel means hair dryers and mini bars should join DSK at the nearest Novotel or similar chain.

The breakfast is excellent, with all of the choices you would expect to find in a hotel of this level. Be sure to take it to the room next to that with the buffet in order to enjoy the grandeur of the place.

The service in the hotel is hit or miss. Look for the young female hipsters if you want prompt service. Some of the frumpy Swedes can be gruff and unhelpful (Do you have espresso? "No." Is there a place with a smoke sauna near Pitea? "Ask at the tourist office."). If you choose your staff member carefully, all will be well. Hopefully the owners will take notice and hire more trendy young staff.

I travel a lot and like to stay in hotels that are part of the local culture, instead of anonymous business chains that are the same if you are in Hong Kong, New York or Bangladesh. If you are like me, be sure to stay at the Pitea Stadshotell!

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room. As strange as it may seem in Pitea, the hotel faces a busy street. Since the...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
South East England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2013

We stayed here for one night in the winter. The building is old and interesting and the room was modern and clean. The price was reasonable, the breakfast good and the evening meal in the restaurant was really lovely. There is outside car heater points available. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2012

Does what it says on the tin.
Electric connection for car at rear car park a plus!
Breakfast included. Different character depending on where you are in the hotel property, dwindling corridors. Piteå is a hotel close to the Arctic Circle (at least en route) renowned for its long sandy beach. Must be back in summer and check it out!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank fredinbrixton
edinburgh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2012

On our epic adventure ice racing and chasing the northern lights we had to find a place to stop for the night. After skimming the net while on the move (I had a killer mobile bill to prove that a month later) I saw this rather grand but imposing building that looked like a little bit of luxury I craved for the night. We located it after going through an industrial types of town that took us further into the town centre. We had our own car so we thought nothing lost by pulling up as I darted in to see what the rooms were like and if I could barter a deal. I'm not adversed to walking away if I don't like what I see, because through past experience these grand places can look great in the halls but tired and dated in the actual rooms. Its was about 5.30pm and snowing (as usual in feb) so I spoke to a fairly reserved but confused receptionist who after us coming to an agreement on what I was willing to pay (roughly £100 a night, inc breakfast) she gave me a key to look at a 'good' room. It was alright but I was in the mood for something better. The place seemed quiet so I chanced my hand and asked for the upgraded version. She recoiled with a little surprise, then I looked like I was going to go, and thanked her for her assistance. As I turned she said she had something else and my word it was super lovely! (room 222) I went back out to my husband, who I think was more worried about how expensive the place looked! He was just happy to get a rest and if I liked the place, cause I am the problem. (he's not fussy as you can guess).

The parking was easy and looked secure (even had car heaters to plug into) The grand staircases and lovely furniture looked well placed and not tired, with updated touches. The room was beautifully decorated, clean and spacious. We made a dinner reservation which was below the hotel which again was well presented and service was great. We decided to have traditional swedish meal which some it was good, some quite rank (mixed platter for tasters) but we were relaxed and wanted to enjoy the full dining experience which we don't regret. (restaurant 1906 - Scandinavian steakhouse)

The breakfast was massive buffet and we were spoilt for choice. There was two young girls looking after the buffet and they simply didn't want to be there yawning away which was a shame but maybe they had a late night! (we certain did ironically we got stuck in a ditch till 1pm with the motor chasing the lights. (lucky a friendly farmer pulled us out and we got to enjoy our room!)

the farmer and his wife gets 5* for saving us in -18

Room Tip: I could see it possibliy could be noisy but our room 222 was out the way and facing the main street...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple