“Average”

Ranked #7 of 11 Ampang B&B and Inns
Putrajaya, Malaysia
“Average”
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Nothing much to say about the hotel. What I can say is, it is a very quiet hotel with basic furniture and amenities. The traffic can be really bad during peak hours. Although inside the hotel is very quiet, but outside really noisy caused by the traffic and sometimes it could be chaotic.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank ndatsme

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Malaysia
Reviewed 23 May 2014 via mobile

I decided to stay there because my usual place was fully booked. For less than rm200, it seems like a steal in KL and it claims to be a 3 star hotel. It must have been a good 10 years since I was there. It was badly maintained and staffed by rude tarty Philippinos then. Perhaps the lower Malaysian salaries attracted the unsavoury ones, I had good friends from the Philippines in the US. Anyway, I thought after 10 years it would have improved. Starting at the checkin where there were 2 customers and 3 staff who were shuffling papers and clicking computers, one of them served someone else who came after me before serving me. When I pointed it out to the staff, instead of apologising, she said she didn't know. Then the room. It looked clean enough but there was a big burnt mark on the dresser, chipped edges to the other furniture and bad TV. Wifi was available at the lobby. Breakfast was disappointing. The location is next to a very busy road and you have to cross it to get to Ampang Point or walk up for about a km to some eating places. Won't go back there again.

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Ampang hotels

Bangkok
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Six years ago I remember staying at Flamingo by the Lake in Ampang. It was new then, with room balconies overlooking the little lake it was picturesque, clean. The service was friendly. One of the receptionists even told me they wanted to earn another star. They were a three-star hotel back then.

When I was booked into this hotel again I did not mind. I remembered that story of how they had a 'growth mindset'. WRONG!

Checked in and was horrified to see the bathrooms were rusty, the towels very wilted and old. Everything in the room looked run-down and badly maintained. When I took a shower, the water grew very hot, and I turned the cold water knob but the water was still hot. I used the sink tap to rinse. The next morning the same thing happened and I realized the cold water was not working. So after shampooing and soaping, and to avoid burns with the hot-water-only shower I rinsed with the toilet spray hose. I also vowed as soon as I finished the shower that I would book myself a room at another, better hotel.

When I went downstairs to explain the problem, the first thing out of the manager's mouth was, "Your already paid. So you have to stay or lose the money."

Wow, really? Don't these hotel service people go to school about how to talk to paying customers. I mean, he could have said, "Sorry to hear that, is there a way we could change your experience?" There are a lot of ways that might be more customer friendly. Maybe change the room? If I was really upset, upgrade. Offer to fix the cold water tap. Meal voucher to compensate. Ask whether I burned myself.

Nope. All he said was I paid, so I had to now deal with it.

I went upstairs and took my bag down. Then I took a cab over to the Renaissance Hotel and had a very, very very good three more days in Kuala Lumpur.

Room Tip: Downtown is a short ride away. Do not stay at the Flamingo by the Lake.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank locomojo
Reviewed 13 March 2014

Arrived from Australia and stayed there for a week. Location is not good.
Had to walk 5 minutes to get to my room from reception.
Rooms were a big disappointment, towels were ran down and dirty. I got dirty towels every day. But that's not ye worst part !
I left this hotel with bed bug bites and scabies ! For your own health do not stay here.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank J9zz
Tehran, Iran
Reviewed 12 March 2014

Location :
This hotel is located in Ampang which is too far from the city center so u should pay a lot of money to the taxis which is not very pleasant for me or u can walk about 5 mins to the nearest bus station and take a bus to go to the city center .
Staff and Furniture :
Old Old Old . All of the staffs are out of date and i guess they are for 10 years ago ! So i decide not to talk about it !
View :
Our room view was really something because we had a perfect view of the lake so i enjoyed it very much with my friend !
Conclude :
Not advised !

Room Tip: If u want to get this hotel just consider that u get a lake view room .
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank moein a
Whangarei, New Zealand
Reviewed 20 February 2014

This hotel says it is strategically located....yes at the junction of a motorway...it is extremely hard to get in and out of at peak hour traffic......By a Lake??? by a dirty pond!!....booked for 3 people...eg 2 beds...gave us 1 king bed and would not change nor provide a stretcher...so 3 of us in one bed, fantastic.....the one positive was the curries from the restaurant were amazing, however i think this restaurant delivers in :) it is miles away from all the key places a tourist would like to visit...so don't do it!!!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Tehran, Iran
Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

After changing our hotel from dynasty to flamingo, we came there. It is better than dynasty but what a pity...
This hotel has very good eye sights but some problem didn't let us to enjoy more.
Furniture and beds are old. Wi-Fi is so much weak.the corridors are not likely...
Very important thing that makes us upset is that,the environment and rooms of this hotel is not as the pictures of hotel in its official site.this is one of the things that we call "lie".

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank atamdni
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ampang
Grand Seasons Hotel
#51 of 345 in Kuala Lumpur
D'Majestic Place by Swiss Garden
D'Majestic Place by Swiss Garden
#107 of 345 in Kuala Lumpur

Been to Flamingo Hotel by the Lake? Share your experiences!