“One Tired Bird by the Lake”

Flamingo Hotel by the Lake
Ranked #5 of 11 Ampang B&B and Inns
Gosport, United Kingdom
“One Tired Bird by the Lake”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

Have just spent 30 nights at this hotel. What I can say is this is one very, very tired Flamingo who has come to roost by the Lake. During my stay I had to move rooms 3 times due to noise, and poorly maintained air-cons.

This hotel purports to be 3 star, in reality its struggling to reach 2 star. The breakfast restaurant displays the Delifrance logo and asked why they did not do all the Delifrance food range I was told but we just do a buffet meal choice..??

The breakfast menu was terrible, basically the hotel caters for Asian, mainly Chinese customers. There is no western choice other than eggs to order, which usually come fried to a crisp as the chefs do not know about turning the gas ring down so the eggs cook slowly. In the 30 days I has breakfast there the fruit choice never changed - Water melon, papaya and white melon. The only choice of jam was strawberry, when asked if they had any other choice I was rudely told 'No'.

Wi-Fi is proudly offered but after about 2 to 3 minutes it shut down so I bought a Maxis dongle. The only way to get internet access in this hotel.

The on suite is just basically a shower room. It did not bother me that there was no bath, but some guests might prefer a bath to taking a shower. If you like a bath - choose another hotel. The shower its self needed a really good clean, there is lots of mould showing between the tiles.

Unfortunately I cold not move hotel as the contract I was working on was paying the bill and at MYR170.00 / night including breakfast I should not expect anything better than what I got.

Was there anything good to report about this hotel. Well yes, on the 5th floor is a restaurant - The Sultani - I ate there 3 times and each time the food and especially the service by the Lady floor manager was excellent. The last good thing to report was the final checking out and leaving the hotel

Room Tip: Do not get a room facing the high-way as the noise of the constant traffic (especially motorbikes) w...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

Writing a review on any hotel we stayed, is no easy task. If the hotel is too bad we normally do not write a review. Only when a hotel reaches a minimum level of quality and standard, then only we will be compelled to write a review. This is due to the fact that opinion is very subjective and any untoward bad review will affect their businesses in which they may depend for a living, not only for the owner but also to the many workers who put up their best in the establishment. In other words we have to be fair.

With that in mind, we are writing this review on Flamingo by the lake hotel, Kuala Lumpur. The hotel is actually located further away from the main CBD of Kuala Lumpur, near Ampang and could be easily accessible via AKLEH Highway or DUKE Highway or the main Ampang Road leading towards the zoo.

Although it is surrounded by highways, the hotel is quite during the night. The lake provides quite a nice setting for the hotel. The hotel has been in operation probably more than 15 years now. There has been talk that there are interested parties to buy over the whole area and redevelop and rejuvenate the area, which will be good for the development of the hotel.

The furnishing is rather dated but still working very well. This is compensated by the moderate pricing as compared to the hotels in the city centre. A suite could be available at a deluxe price hotel at the city center, so the choice is yours. Nevertheless, there is no public transportation available to support the hotel which means guests may have to drive in a private car or take a taxi.

The nearest shopping mall is the Ampang Point Shopping center, across the road, a 10 minutes walk. It is more popular to the locals and there are plenty of restaurants at Ampang Point vicinity, some are international establishments such as Star Bucks, Coffee Bean, Kenny Rogers, Pizza Huts and McDonald and of course Old Town Coffee + various restaurants serving local delicacies, depending on what you look for to stay at the hotel. There are also 2 international schools nearby.

In house eateries are a bit disapointment and there is only Delifrance near the lobby and a restaurant at the fifth floor. This is due to the location in which there are not too many outside guests coming to dine in this hotel. The hotel is low rise with only four floors and there is a restaurant at the fifth floor. The lift works very well and we do not have the problem of using the staircase. There is also an outdoor swimming pool.

The hotel is popular with travel groups and those organizing workshops and seminars and this is understandable due to the competitive prices they are offering. Overall, it is an average hotel, quite nice to stay provided you have a good transportation arrangement on your own. It is worth a try for those daring enough for adventure and trying the many facets of hotel available. But if you are 5-star dedicated hotel guests, it may not be suitable for you. The rooms are not carpeted, hence it is advisable to bring along your own comfortable slippers. Air-conditioners work well and there is no issue on on this except it may be too cold and difficult to adjust the temperature although the remote control is available. Parking is also ample. There are also good selection of TV channels.

Those opting for adventure may want to have a go at Flamingo by the lake hotel, though no flamingo could be seen around at the lake. There is always a possibility for us to return to Flamingo sometime in the future.

Saharudin Mohd Toha & Family
Staying July 2014
Reporting on 22 July 2014

Room Tip: Rooms facing the lake are quiter compared to those facing the Highways The rooms on the right side...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank SAHARUDIN
Olympia, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

This was probably a beautiful hotel at one time and it still has great bones. But it is in serious need of an upgrade. The standard room needed a good cleaning. The bathroom was very smelly and with a broken douching hose (not sure what the correct name for this item is). Bed was old and pillows were those big, hard foam jobs that would hurt your neck if you used them. I carry my old little pillow for these situations.

When there was a serious problem with two new staff members, we were quickly upgraded to a suite which was beautiful.

Breakfast buffet is bountiful but with an accent on Asian style foods. Not to everyone's taste.

Room Tip: If you can afford a suite, this would be a good choice. Manager was very kind when we explained prob...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Baroda
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

Location.....OK....
Staff......Save Your Self from getting Insulted....
Rooms......Looks more like services apartments.....
Swimming Pool....Needs Replacement of Water....
Air Conditioning.....Ensure it is working before making Payments....
Room Safe.....Very Safe....You can't open it without help of an expert...
I don't wish to write further.......EXCEPT WE PLANNED FOR 2 NIGHTS STAY BUT DECIDED TO VACATE IMMEDIATELY AFTER 1ST NIGHT...IT SELF....
BE IN Q FOR LITTLE QUANTITY OF FOOD TO BREAK YOUR FAST....

Room Tip: No Comments.....I had no good rooms, so I can't suggest / help others....
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank GulK276
Putrajaya, Malaysia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

Nothing much to say about the hotel. What I can say is, it is a very quiet hotel with basic furniture and amenities. The traffic can be really bad during peak hours. Although inside the hotel is very quiet, but outside really noisy caused by the traffic and sometimes it could be chaotic.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank ndatsme
Malaysia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014 via mobile

I decided to stay there because my usual place was fully booked. For less than rm200, it seems like a steal in KL and it claims to be a 3 star hotel. It must have been a good 10 years since I was there. It was badly maintained and staffed by rude tarty Philippinos then. Perhaps the lower Malaysian salaries attracted the unsavoury ones, I had good friends from the Philippines in the US. Anyway, I thought after 10 years it would have improved. Starting at the checkin where there were 2 customers and 3 staff who were shuffling papers and clicking computers, one of them served someone else who came after me before serving me. When I pointed it out to the staff, instead of apologising, she said she didn't know. Then the room. It looked clean enough but there was a big burnt mark on the dresser, chipped edges to the other furniture and bad TV. Wifi was available at the lobby. Breakfast was disappointing. The location is next to a very busy road and you have to cross it to get to Ampang Point or walk up for about a km to some eating places. Won't go back there again.

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Ampang hotels

Bangkok
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

Six years ago I remember staying at Flamingo by the Lake in Ampang. It was new then, with room balconies overlooking the little lake it was picturesque, clean. The service was friendly. One of the receptionists even told me they wanted to earn another star. They were a three-star hotel back then.

When I was booked into this hotel again I did not mind. I remembered that story of how they had a 'growth mindset'. WRONG!

Checked in and was horrified to see the bathrooms were rusty, the towels very wilted and old. Everything in the room looked run-down and badly maintained. When I took a shower, the water grew very hot, and I turned the cold water knob but the water was still hot. I used the sink tap to rinse. The next morning the same thing happened and I realized the cold water was not working. So after shampooing and soaping, and to avoid burns with the hot-water-only shower I rinsed with the toilet spray hose. I also vowed as soon as I finished the shower that I would book myself a room at another, better hotel.

When I went downstairs to explain the problem, the first thing out of the manager's mouth was, "Your already paid. So you have to stay or lose the money."

Wow, really? Don't these hotel service people go to school about how to talk to paying customers. I mean, he could have said, "Sorry to hear that, is there a way we could change your experience?" There are a lot of ways that might be more customer friendly. Maybe change the room? If I was really upset, upgrade. Offer to fix the cold water tap. Meal voucher to compensate. Ask whether I burned myself.

Nope. All he said was I paid, so I had to now deal with it.

I went upstairs and took my bag down. Then I took a cab over to the Renaissance Hotel and had a very, very very good three more days in Kuala Lumpur.

Room Tip: Downtown is a short ride away. Do not stay at the Flamingo by the Lake.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank locomojo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ampang
Grand Seasons Hotel
Sunway Putra Hotel
Sunway Putra Hotel
#33 of 340 in Kuala Lumpur
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,319 reviews

Been to Flamingo Hotel by the Lake? Share your experiences!