“Definitely an holiday destination :)” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kaiteri Lodge

Kaiteri Lodge
Kaiteriteri, New Zealand
“Definitely an holiday destination :)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

I stayed at the Lodge for two weeks. The staff was really friendly and the receptionist was always keen to help me out with tours and everything. My room was really nice (4 Bed Dorm) and clean! It's perfectly located at the beach and in the evenings you can go to the Beached Whale, a really nice bar just next to it. Even with live-music on the weekends! ;)

Stayed March 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

Worst hostel in NZ by far! While its location is superb steps form kaiteri beach, the accommodation is ghastly. Toilet paper wet - the whole roll?! no soap in the hand soap dispenser even 2nd day, kitchen has too few cooking rings and pans for number of guests. Worst was the beds - not only pillows lumpy and Mattress so thin feel boards through but bed had mites/bugs so ended up bites all over and having to get up pre sunrise as couldn't lie in it minute longer. Needs serious attention. Would avoid

• Stayed February 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Kaiteri_Lodge, Manager at Kaiteri Lodge, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Thank you for your feedback. I am disappointed that you didn’t enjoy your stay at Kaiteri Lodge! I’m sorry that despite staying in such a beautiful place you didn’t have one positive thing to stay about our facilities or address your concerns with us in person.

Allow me to respond to each of your complaints individually...

If there is a wet toilet paper roll in a room then this needs to be brought to the attention of a staff member. I can assure you that it was dry when the cleaners installed it and we would have happily replaced it for you.

Our cleaners check the soap dispensers frequently and I’m sorry your soap ran out during your stay with us. This is another situation where we could have quickly and easily removed the inconvenience to you if we had known at the time.

I can say with absolute certainty that there isn’t an element of truth in your accusation about our beds. We are very proactive with prevention and treatment methods because bed bugs are the best travellers and it is a well known fact that they arrive with guests in hostels and 5 star hotels all over the world. We have several checks in place to manage this. Our rooms are spot checked and randomly treated. Staff members are trained to identify bites and contain areas. We don’t allow guests to use their own bedding and the linen we provide is professionally cleaned off-site. People that stay here have a tendency to leave the windows open in their rooms and it is highly likely that you were bitten by a harmless mosquito.

I am quite confident that you haven’t stayed in every hostel in New Zealand and are therefore not in a position to provide a definitive ranking of Kaiteri Lodge. I’ve seen your reviews of other accommodation providers. Can you please recommend somewhere you would enjoy staying in New Zealand? As a country well renowned for our tourism industry it would be great to hear how we measure up to your perceived “best hostel” in New Zealand. I understand you won’t be recommending us to your friends and thank you for taking the time to undermine our workplace and the efforts of my team. The only saving grace is that your opinion of Kaiteri is not the attitude reflected by the majority of guests that stay here.

Travellers are raving about these Kaiteriteri hotels

Heidelberg, Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

Kaiteri Lodge is located conveniently right across the street from Kaiteriteri's beautiful beach. A minigolf course, a flying fox, a playground and a small store as well as a bar and a restaurant are all located within a few minute's walk.

The hostel was clean and the beds were comfortable, even if the room (I stayed in a 6 bed dorm) appeared slightly cramped to me - however, no worse than in many other hostels. The en suite bathroom only had a drain in the floor instead of a shower tub, so after a few people had showered rather enthusiastically, the bathroom was practically flooded.
The kitchen was really small for all the people who wanted to use it, and of the two stoves, one was out of order, and another two hotplates didn't work, so it was really cramped and there was quite a bit of competition for the hot plates and space in the kitchen.

The staff was generally nice, even though the lady at reception seemed strangely uninterested in selling me an internet voucher and kept sending me over to the adjacent bar, who did then sell me internet without any further fuss.
While staying there, I went on an overnight trip to the Abel Tasman National Park, and they stored the baggage I didn't want to bring along for free and without complications, and booked me a room for the day I returned, which worked out perfectly. Altogether, it was a pleasant stay.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Hello and thank you for taking the time to review Kaiteri Lodge!

I'm glad you enjoyed your trip into the Abel Tasman National Park, we are lucky to be surrounded by this beautiful scenery. I'm sorry for any inconvenience caused by our kitchen facilities, we have installed two new ovens to fix this problem and are constantly keeping an eye out for equipment that is in need of repair. We have also had an electrician visit to ensure that our hotplates are as user friendly as possible. I'm sorry for the misunderstanding surrounding internet sales. We are entering the "low-season" of the year in Kaiteri and our reception hours have reduced as a result. Internet can be purchased at The Beached Whale restaurant when reception is closed and we will endeavour to make that clearer to our guests in the future.

Thanks again for providing your feedback, we are constantly trying to improve our services and facilities for our guests.

Have a great day :)
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

This was probably the most basic accommodation we had during our trip down under but it was also really good value and just perfect for one night at the beach. I recall it worked out at £60 for the room, we had tea making facilities in the room and the internet was (I think) $5 for 24 hours. I recall thinking it was excellent value and it was a great signal so we spent a while catching up on facebook etc. The receptionist was friendly and we had a good night's sleep till 5am when my husband got up for the sunrise and took some fab photos.

There was a kitchen we could have used but there is a restaurant on the sea front, where we had dinner, then breakfast, then lunch with coffees in between. I have searched through our photos but can't recall the name. It's the only restaurant on the front so you can't miss it. The staff were very friendly and all the meals we had there were excellent.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Kaiteri_Lodge, Manager at Kaiteri Lodge, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
Good morning, thank you for taking the time to review Kaiteri Lodge. Its great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us - all the best for your future travels! Thanks again, from the team at Kaiteri Lodge.
Toulouse, France
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

I was stay longer and no price per week, so from 10/11am until 6pm is quiet, after 6pm they are a lot of people do some noïse and all is dirty, and the Time for clean the kitchen is not good.no light per bed, and the price really expensive for the quality!!!!

Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Kaiteri_Lodge, Manager at Kaiteri Lodge, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Hello Ben,

Thank you for your feedback. I'm sorry you found Kaiteri Lodge to be unsatisfactory and you weren't able to express your concerns in person during your stay with us. We don't typically offer a price per week during our peak summer season, however you received a 15% discount on the entire cost of your accommodation and were only expected to pay on a week-by-week basis. I also offered you the opportunity to work for accommodation and you were able to choose which days you were available to clean. Once again, we apologise that you felt this way and everyone here really enjoyed getting to know you.

All the best for the rest of your travels and I hope you enjoyed those French delicacies you received from home!

Kind regards,

Georgie Jones
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2014

We arrived with our bus at 6pm, and our room, with no guests still staying in there, and check out having been 10am, was filthy. Nothing cleaned and no sheets changed for all 6 of us staying in the room. The $5 internet is very poor, and you have to pay a $20 deposit on plastic rubbish plates and cutlery?!!!
Highlights were the VERY helpful "Abbie" on reception, she goes out of her way to help, and the location of the hostel next to the beach.

• Stayed February 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Kaiteri_Lodge, Manager at Kaiteri Lodge, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Hello, thank you for your review. I'm sorry your room wasn't ready when you arrived and for the inconvenience caused. As far as the internet goes, I apologise that you weren't happy with the internet we sell on behalf of IKS, they are the best internet provider in the area. The deposit you mentioned is a key and cutlery deposit. We have this to ensure that all of our keys and cutlery boxes get returned by each backpacker that stays with us. I'm glad you were happy with Abbey and made the most of the beautiful Kaiteri beach. All the best for your future travels, from the team at Kaiteri Lodge.
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014

We arrived at Kaiteri Lodge towards the afternoon and were given a hostel bed in a shipping container around the side. I would be okay staying in the shipping container if they didn't charge us the same price as the normal room, but we got no discount and were not told at the time of check in what the accommodation would be like.

I complained to the manager and she was quite rude, telling me that I should have got there earlier. That there was nothing she could do, and that I should be grateful she accommodated me.

Inside the facilities were quite nice and clean. However the shipping container was overly cramped, sleeping 8 people, and quite cold due to the lack of insulation.

Luckily the beach was nice.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Kaiteri_Lodge, Manager at Kaiteri Lodge, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Hello there, I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your stay with us. The units pictured are temporary rooms that we've hired for the summer months to accommodate our Kiwi Experience backpackers. They are most commonly used for groups wanting to stay together instead of being separated when we are fully booked. We are the only accommodation provider in Kaiteri with affordable backpacker rates. Because of this we reach peak capacity over the summer season. These units allow us to maximise our facilities and because of this you were able to stay in a prime location, the doorstep of Kaiteriteri Beach. As the manager of Kaiteri Lodge I do not recall having the conversation you mentioned. We do our best to explain the nature of this accommodation to each traveller when we check them in. I apologise if this was not made clear to you at the time and further for the rude way you felt you have been treated. We pride ourselves on our customer service and endeavour to meet the needs of everyone staying with us. All of our guests have access to the same kitchen, bathroom and living areas regardless of where they sleep. We wish you all the best for your future travels, thanks from the team at Kaiteri Lodge.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kaiteriteri
Peppers Awaroa Lodge
Split Apple Lodge
Split Apple Lodge
#2 of 7 in Kaiteriteri
Pohara Beach Top 10 Holiday Park

Been to Kaiteri Lodge? Share your experiences!