“Decent hostel but forgettable”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Kaiteri Lodge

Kaiteri Lodge
San Jose, California
“Decent hostel but forgettable”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed here with Kiwi Experience but I wouldn't choose to come here again. The hostel is clean and is located steps away from the beach which is nice but beyond that there is no real vibe at the hostel (even the walls are bland and boring). It's not great value for money either given that I paid $30/night.

• Stayed May 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

This hostel was OK to stay in for the night. It could do with being modernised a bit and also it was a bit dirty when we stayed there. The rooms areba good size and it is in a good location for the beach. Just a few little tweaks and it would be perfect.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Llanelli, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014

We stayed here during our kiwi experience and of all the hostels this was my least favourite. The hostel is in an amazing location, on the beachfront with a bar/restaurant. Unfortunately the staff were the most rude I gave ever come across. The receptionist had the worst attitude and put a downer on our stay from payment. Our 6 bed dorm was such a squeeze that we had no room to put our bags except in the middle of the floor. The worst incident was our whole group being thrown out of the bar by 8pm (when we were told it would be open until 11pm) because 'we weren't bringing any business.' - there were only 2 spare tables there were so many of us. Our group was refused food and we watched the unfriendly barmaid usher out an elderly couple who'd come for food. After we'd been thrown out the manager agreed (reluctantly) to re-open as long as we spent enough money. There was such a bad atmosphere there after that that we didn't really want to waste anymore money. The barmaid sulked around calling us boring because we weren't drinking shots and then closed by 9pm anyway.
The way the kiwi experience group got treated by the unfriendly staff here was disgusting - staff were often overheard speaking unpleasantly about the buses by several members of our group. I really think the kiwi experience should re-consider giving this ungrateful, miserable place any business at all. There's plenty of other nearby hostels that would be happy to have us.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jeva23
Kaiteri_Lodge, Manager at Kaiteri Lodge, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Kia Ora!

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lengthy review of your experience at Kaiteri. We are always on the lookout for ways to improve our services and facilities considering that we are situated in a popular location for Kiwi Experience travellers.

Let me touch on a few of your points...

I am sorry to inform you that you are incorrect in assuming that travellers are spoiled for choice with backpacker accommodation in Kaiteri. We are the only hostel/restaurant/bar in the area that endeavours to cater to this type of traveller. The majority would describe our selection of services and atmosphere as “unique” and you have chosen a different perspective.

If you were genuinely interested in a “kiwi experience” then you would have loved the service provided by our beautiful Maori bar maid. Your misrepresentation of her demeanour highlights your lack of cultural awareness for the indigenous people of New Zealand. We are entering our “low-season” and the night you stayed here the bar opened specifically for your bus. We operate on a basis that the bar will close early if it isn’t being used and stay open all night for groups that want to party in Kaiteri. I apologise that this wasn’t made clear to you when you arrived – we understand that you had a long day travelling before you reached this destination.

It is disappointing for us as accommodation providers that you use a platform such as this to make personal and vindictive comments about our team when the rest of your group clearly enjoyed the night and were having a good time.

Travellers are raving about these Kaiteriteri hotels

Kaiteriteri, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

I stayed at the Lodge for two weeks. The staff was really friendly and the receptionist was always keen to help me out with tours and everything. My room was really nice (4 Bed Dorm) and clean! It's perfectly located at the beach and in the evenings you can go to the Beached Whale, a really nice bar just next to it. Even with live-music on the weekends! ;)

Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

Worst hostel in NZ by far! While its location is superb steps form kaiteri beach, the accommodation is ghastly. Toilet paper wet - the whole roll?! no soap in the hand soap dispenser even 2nd day, kitchen has too few cooking rings and pans for number of guests. Worst was the beds - not only pillows lumpy and Mattress so thin feel boards through but bed had mites/bugs so ended up bites all over and having to get up pre sunrise as couldn't lie in it minute longer. Needs serious attention. Would avoid

• Stayed February 2014
Kaiteri_Lodge, Manager at Kaiteri Lodge, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Thank you for your feedback. I am disappointed that you didn’t enjoy your stay at Kaiteri Lodge! I’m sorry that despite staying in such a beautiful place you didn’t have one positive thing to stay about our facilities or address your concerns with us in person.

Allow me to respond to each of your complaints individually...

If there is a wet toilet paper roll in a room then this needs to be brought to the attention of a staff member. I can assure you that it was dry when the cleaners installed it and we would have happily replaced it for you.

Our cleaners check the soap dispensers frequently and I’m sorry your soap ran out during your stay with us. This is another situation where we could have quickly and easily removed the inconvenience to you if we had known at the time.

I can say with absolute certainty that there isn’t an element of truth in your accusation about our beds. We are very proactive with prevention and treatment methods because bed bugs are the best travellers and it is a well known fact that they arrive with guests in hostels and 5 star hotels all over the world. We have several checks in place to manage this. Our rooms are spot checked and randomly treated. Staff members are trained to identify bites and contain areas. We don’t allow guests to use their own bedding and the linen we provide is professionally cleaned off-site. People that stay here have a tendency to leave the windows open in their rooms and it is highly likely that you were bitten by a harmless mosquito.

I am quite confident that you haven’t stayed in every hostel in New Zealand and are therefore not in a position to provide a definitive ranking of Kaiteri Lodge. I’ve seen your reviews of other accommodation providers. Can you please recommend somewhere you would enjoy staying in New Zealand? As a country well renowned for our tourism industry it would be great to hear how we measure up to your perceived “best hostel” in New Zealand. I understand you won’t be recommending us to your friends and thank you for taking the time to undermine our workplace and the efforts of my team. The only saving grace is that your opinion of Kaiteri is not the attitude reflected by the majority of guests that stay here.
Heidelberg, Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

Kaiteri Lodge is located conveniently right across the street from Kaiteriteri's beautiful beach. A minigolf course, a flying fox, a playground and a small store as well as a bar and a restaurant are all located within a few minute's walk.

The hostel was clean and the beds were comfortable, even if the room (I stayed in a 6 bed dorm) appeared slightly cramped to me - however, no worse than in many other hostels. The en suite bathroom only had a drain in the floor instead of a shower tub, so after a few people had showered rather enthusiastically, the bathroom was practically flooded.
The kitchen was really small for all the people who wanted to use it, and of the two stoves, one was out of order, and another two hotplates didn't work, so it was really cramped and there was quite a bit of competition for the hot plates and space in the kitchen.

The staff was generally nice, even though the lady at reception seemed strangely uninterested in selling me an internet voucher and kept sending me over to the adjacent bar, who did then sell me internet without any further fuss.
While staying there, I went on an overnight trip to the Abel Tasman National Park, and they stored the baggage I didn't want to bring along for free and without complications, and booked me a room for the day I returned, which worked out perfectly. Altogether, it was a pleasant stay.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Hello and thank you for taking the time to review Kaiteri Lodge!

I'm glad you enjoyed your trip into the Abel Tasman National Park, we are lucky to be surrounded by this beautiful scenery. I'm sorry for any inconvenience caused by our kitchen facilities, we have installed two new ovens to fix this problem and are constantly keeping an eye out for equipment that is in need of repair. We have also had an electrician visit to ensure that our hotplates are as user friendly as possible. I'm sorry for the misunderstanding surrounding internet sales. We are entering the "low-season" of the year in Kaiteri and our reception hours have reduced as a result. Internet can be purchased at The Beached Whale restaurant when reception is closed and we will endeavour to make that clearer to our guests in the future.

Thanks again for providing your feedback, we are constantly trying to improve our services and facilities for our guests.

Have a great day :)
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

This was probably the most basic accommodation we had during our trip down under but it was also really good value and just perfect for one night at the beach. I recall it worked out at £60 for the room, we had tea making facilities in the room and the internet was (I think) $5 for 24 hours. I recall thinking it was excellent value and it was a great signal so we spent a while catching up on facebook etc. The receptionist was friendly and we had a good night's sleep till 5am when my husband got up for the sunrise and took some fab photos.

There was a kitchen we could have used but there is a restaurant on the sea front, where we had dinner, then breakfast, then lunch with coffees in between. I have searched through our photos but can't recall the name. It's the only restaurant on the front so you can't miss it. The staff were very friendly and all the meals we had there were excellent.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Kaiteri_Lodge, Manager at Kaiteri Lodge, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
Good morning, thank you for taking the time to review Kaiteri Lodge. Its great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us - all the best for your future travels! Thanks again, from the team at Kaiteri Lodge.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kaiteriteri
Peppers Awaroa Lodge
#2 of 7 in Kaiteriteri
Fraser Highlands Retreat
Fraser Highlands Retreat
#1 of 9 in Abel Tasman National Park

Been to Kaiteri Lodge? Share your experiences!