“Avoid, avoid, AVOID!”

Farmer Giles
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Avoid, avoid, AVOID!”
Reviewed 24 November 2012

It was really not up to much. We stopped off on our way back from holiday in the West Country. We have been to a few of these places and they can be fantastic. This wasn't. The animals looked like they needed a good meal and the paraqueets had given up waiting and were eating their cell mates. I missed this highlight but my husband seemed suitably traumatised. Luckily the children didn't see. One thing was pretty authentic: the farmer owner was living up to the backward Somerset stereotype. When my 2 year-old asked for cheese and pickle sandwiches he chuckled and said "wow, what a cosmopolitan kid! If I saw 'that' (pointing at his teenage son/cashier) eating pickle I think I'd die.

3 Thank Saxie07

Shaftesbury, United Kingdom
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Needs a complete overhaul”
Reviewed 19 October 2012

Our grandchildren have loved coming here since about 2002 when there were lots of tractors to climb on, baby animals to feed and so much space to play in. Have to say, our last two visits have been very disappointing. The animals were in smelly cages, the play area has been restricted somewhat and it all looks unkempt and unloved. Such a shame. We won't be coming back.

1 Thank LostinDorset
Bath, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“A bit depressing for me...but my 4 year old loved it.”
Reviewed 5 September 2012

I took my 4 year old for a quick visit, as she is obsessed by animals. It was fine on the animal front, a good selection of animals which are readily accesible. A previous reviewer said the animals seemed "desperate" and wanted the venue shut down - but I am not sure how she got that impression, as the animals looked well, seemed interested and active, and had pretty good living conditions mostly (the chicken coops up the hill were a bit sad really).

My only real reservations come from the rather sad, uncared for and depressing look and atmosphere of the whole place. There are displays of tools set up as various workshops (carpentry for example), but all of them are completely randomly displayed, covered in dust, with signs (if there are any) hanging off at angles, or covered up by other bits and pieces thrown on top. Externally, there are several children's attractions (tractors, shepherds huts, tree house etc) which have been withdrawn from use, but rather than remove them from the site, they have been fenced off with metal hurdles, and now covered in brambles and nettles. Would it really have been too much work to have dismantled/removed them from the site? It just gives the impression that no-one can really be bothered.

The cafes (two of them - why?) are two of the most depressing places to eat that you can possibly imagine - you would be better off hitting the nearby service station on the A303 for an acceptable culinary experience, and it would have a better atmosphere too. Well, it would probably have an atmosphere...

However, all of that was lost on my 4 year old, who loved wandering around and seeing the animals. For that reason (and only that reason) I would go again.

1 Thank Barstool12
Auckland Region, New Zealand
91 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 69 helpful votes
“Nice little farm”
Reviewed 28 August 2012

We were visiting from NZ and took our 2 year old to Farmer Giles. We had a great time looking at the animals and wandering around the farm. Our daughter loved feeding the sheep which involved buying several bottles of milk. It was a lovely day and there were a few visitors, it was not overly busy. The indoor play area was probably when new fantastic, it is a bit tired and needs a good clean. This area was not supervised and there were children who over took the toddler area, which didn't make it pleasant for the small children. The farm in general is a little run down and could do with a make over. The playground seemed a little dangerous, with rusted and broken parts.

Visited June 2012
1 Thank Gerwyn J
wiltshire
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Never again”
Reviewed 23 August 2012

I have been here today with my 7 year old granddaughter and will never return. the whole place looks shabby and dirty in great need for an overhaul, it has not seen a coat of paint i would say in a very long time. we went on the tractor ride and had to hold on for dear life the driver was stopping and starting and then the tractor stopped on the hill and he had to get the tools out quite frightening. the toilet area was very smelly not a pleasant experience . the cost of entry and the cost of rides when you get in there was very expensive i have been to far better places for less cost very disappointing .

3 Thank pinkywiltshire