“art holiday for over 55's”
Review of Claregalway Hotel

Claregalway Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Claregalway
Dublin
“art holiday for over 55's”
Reviewed 14 January 2012

Just home from 5 days art holiday in this hotel. There were a group of 12 and we were all in agreement that the staff were superb. They were all friendly, efficient, and helpful. Nothing was too much trouble. We had great 'craic' with some of them (in Ireland that means fun). Management went to a lot of trouble to accomodate our every need. It was a 'first' try for them at an Art course. Our teacher Michael Hanrahan was very helpful and friendly and we all enjoyed ourselves. Our food was very good and plentiful . The first evening was extremely busy there and my beef wasn't as nice as the rest of the weeks meals, but overall we thought it was really nicely presented , varied, and tasty. The value was amazing! My en-suite room was a good size with a comfy bed, iron, tea etc. and everywhere was very clean. The pool, steam room and sauna were nice and clean, unfortunately the jacussi was out of action for a few days. The hotel is on a main road in a village with shops but I wasn't aware of traffic noise. It doesn't take long to get into Galway city and there is a frequent bus service. If you have time visit a gorgeous Irish craft shop and gallery a few mins. walk from the hotel behind Supervalue s'market, can't remember name of it but there was fab. stuff . Some old ruins close. A Franciscan friary from the 13th century and an old castle which is inhabited. Thanks to Paul Gill and 'gems of staff' for a wonderful visit and a really nice 3 star hotel.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 206 which was on the second floor and was very quiet.All rooms except two are non-s...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank LorraineDublin43
obcg, Owner at Claregalway Hotel, responded to this review, 15 January 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip advisor. I am delighted that you enjoyed our first Art Course with Michael. The team here at the hotel relay enjoyed looking after you as you all were so nice. Thank you for all your recommendations on how to improve the product here at the Claregalway Hotel and we look forward to you coming back again.

Kind Regards,

Paul

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Thurles, Ireland
Reviewed 14 January 2012

stayed here last night .. while the room started off well when we entered and there was treats on the bed for the kids.that where it stopped bottom sheet on all beds were too small and kept bunching up and i woke a few times to remake bed ..... quilt wasn the thickest .... fruit basket in room total disappointing the banana was enedible as was the pear.....shower . ya had to run the water for 10 mins before ya got hot water i mean we supposed to be eco friendly..... breakfast while it looked lovely wasn great fry was very greasy ... and the yoghurt my daughter picked up was out of date... very disapointed overall and wont be recommending it to friends or family

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank tamara016
obcg, Owner at Claregalway Hotel, responded to this review, 15 January 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time as promised to all the team here at the hotel to post your review on TripAdvisor. Although I did not have the pleasure in meeting you during your brief stay, I am disappointed that we did not live up to your expectations. As with all feedback, I take on board all comments and use them to improve our product here at the Claregalway Hotel.
I have asked my chef to investigate why the" fry" was greasy when all our breakfasts are char- grilled (apart from the fried eggs that is!) . The Date on the yoghurt i cannot vouch for except to say that the batch was delivered on Thursday last and is still in date until the 19th.
I will examine our linen on your advise as well as the tog of the duvets.

Wishing you well

Cavan, Ireland
Reviewed 11 January 2012

Great hotel. Not 1 negative. Staff very freindly. Go there!!!!!!

• Stayed April 2011
Laois
Reviewed 11 January 2012

I enjoyed the stay but there was a terrible smell of stale smoke in the room and of the curtains.The window was set to open only a minimal space so not much fresh air.Staff were all very friendly and helpfull .Food was good.Maybe a few extra milk portions and biscuits in the room with the beverage making facility.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
obcg, Manager at Claregalway Hotel, responded to this review, 15 January 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to post a review on trip advisor. We only have two smoking rooms in the hotel and perhaps you were allocated one of these on check-in. If not would you be so kind as to direct mail me here the the hotel with your room number so I can ensure that this matter is addressed. Unfortunately sometimes other guest do not respect the non smoking rooms and we do not get enough time between turn around to completely air the room.

Again than you for taking your time post your comment. It is only trough your feedback that we can improve the product here at the Claregalway Hotel.

Regards,

Regards,

paul@claregalwayhotel.ie
Monaghan
Reviewed 11 January 2012

We had a fabulous stay in Claregalway hotel..Very reasonable price for the comfort of a beautiful hotel. Staff are so helpful, restaurant is lovely, food is great, rooms are super and only a 7/8 minute trip into Galway city. Spent the morning in the Spa treatment which was very relaxing. Definitely would recommend a visit!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
galway
Reviewed 3 January 2012

Attended a wedding here new years eve, very disapointed by the food. i had heard such good reports about this hotel and their wedding service. the beef was so tough, nobody at our table could eat it. standard of meal very poor which is disheartning. i now wont be booking my wedding here im afraid.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
obcg, Owner at Claregalway Hotel, responded to this review, 10 January 2012
Dear Guest,

I am very disapointed to read that you found our beef to be tough. The reason is that both Nora and I personaly superivise every wedding and if we found a table that had not eaten their meals we would have addressed this issue their and then. This is the first time we have ever had this matter raised. However, we do act on all feed back and I will carry our a full review with my chef and Beef supplier Pallas Foods. In the mean time I do wish you would consider us again for your wedding reception and call Nora to disucss your wedding day plans. I guarenttee you the best our service and produce.

Kind Regards,

avnol
Reviewed 11 December 2011

Myself and my partner stayed here for one night on friday the 8th of December, The main reason i wanted to stay down in galway was to get a good nights sleep before my exam down there on saturday morning and didnt want the stress of driving down from dublin in bad weather. So quite randomly a deal came up to stay here on board deals,ie.
We checked in on friday evening and received a very nice warm welcome. We went up to our room 310 to discover the bed totally stripped, the bathroom messy and the room an icebox which we thought was strange so we popped back down to reception. They didnt seem to know what happened as the room was reported as clean by cleaning staff, they thought a member of staff had used the room unoffically. So we got moved to the room nextdoor 308. The room seemed lovely and we left our things and went out for a bit of a walk. Theres nothing much near the hotel just a few shops, supermarkets, pharmacy, takeaways,hairdresser film shop etc. We then got back to the room, I decided to do some study and my partner went to the leisure centre. The tv remote was also missing from room but a member of staff got us a new one. I also had a cup of tea from the inroom kettle but they was a funny taste off it, element of kettle. Kev had said the pool was very busy especially with children but the steam room/jacuzzi was lovely.
We decided to eat in the hotel restuarant that night. The bar itself is very homely and done up lovely for christmas. We ordered our food, starter was lovely, my main was lovely except kev got the wrong one and by the time he got the right one i was finished mine but the food was lovely. A lovely member of staff called roisin gave us a free drink each for the mixup. She was extremly pleasent to deal with.
We went to bed around 11 but all you could hear was this mad thump thump noise from downstairs, We discovered it was the base from the band in the bar but was so annoying and couldnt sleep from it. We rang reception (joe) twice which resulted in them turning the noise down a bit but you could still hear it.The music then stopped around 10 to 1. Also the windows are very bad in the room from keeping the noise of the traffic out if you are a light sleeper you may have problems with this. Also ive stayed in alot of hotels and the bed here is very uncomfortable but each to their own. We finally got asleep but was awoken at 2.30am to a very drunk roudy man knocking on doors on our floor including ours. Kev had answered our door were the guy proceeded to start a fight and try get into our room. We rang the on duty manager joe and he removed him from the hotel. So after all that excitement it took us a while to get back asleep. We were up again near 8 to go for my exam so we got our bits together and checked out. I have to add that after we checked in on the fri night before anything happened we had decided to make a weekend of our trip so we booked another nights stay but after what happened i cancelled it the next morning.
We arrived at reception extremely tired and no time to have our breakfast.We were greeted warmly as the manager had been informed of our nights stay. Over all the sequence of events have really put me off staying in this hotel again which is such a shame because of some changes this place could be very nice but totally not worth paying at full price. Im awaiting contact from the manager as i know our comments have been passed on.

Room Tip: quiet room away from bar/function rooms
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank avnol
obcg, Owner at Claregalway Hotel, responded to this review, 14 December 2011
Hi their and thank you for taking time for posting you experience on Trip Advisor. i do hope your exams went well?

I would like to again on behalf of the whole team apologise for your poor experience here at the hotel. It is not our normal standard of service. As its is christmas and we were very busy with parties I am afraid that the music levels were above the norm. It also appears that one of our other guests indulged to much in the festive spirits and woke the "whole house" in search of his room. I do apologise and as soon as it was brought to our attention we managed to find his correct room. However i am disappointed that you were directed to the wrong room- this room was off due to a late check out from a guest. When the rooms where handed back in mistakenly got reported back as clean. i am sure you have sometimes mistakenly given the wrong number . I requested the hotel engineer to conduct a noise test levels in your room today and it has come back as "normal"-i will see if we can do make this better with the improvement in technology. i know Marie was talking to you since and she will be back to you before the week is out. many thanks once again and i sincerely do apologise for your disrupted stay here at the hotel, may i take this opportunity to wish you a happy christmas.

kind regards

Paul
Also consider these accommodations in or near Claregalway
The Arches Hotel, Claregalway
#21 of 46 in Galway
Clybaun Hotel
Clybaun Hotel
#6 of 46 in Galway

Been to Claregalway Hotel? Share your experiences!