“Could Improve Bar Service”
Review of Claregalway Hotel

Claregalway Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Claregalway
Kilkenny, Ireland
“Could Improve Bar Service”
Reviewed 6 February 2014

We attended a wedding in January 2014, Bar Service on a week night was just not good enough. If we were not ignored despite bar not busy then the staff did not have a clue what they were doing. We weren't hungry so decided to have a sandwich at 7 pm so we could have an early night before the big event the next day. Would you belief the Barman had to ask the Chef if this was possible after 20 minutes Barman came back to take our order for a sandwich eventually we got a very standard sandwich. We tried to get the attention of the not busy staff again for the bill and another drink about 9pm at 9.15 we got our drink and bill and went to bed not looking forward to the event next day with the service we had received. A Bar Man who did stand out and well worth a mention as been Polite, Helpful and had a Cheerful Smile and overall the best Barman in the building was Ger without a dought he is Manager Material please Management take note.
Rooms were clean and moderate had a good sleep., Breakfast was good. Wedding food was excellent as was the service well done to function staff.

Room Tip: Ask for a smoking room they have balcony's
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Reviewed 30 January 2014 via mobile

Called for the bar here for food to break a long journey. It was a Thursday evening so didnt expect it to be too busy and it wasnt....but staff practically running around the bar & didnt seem to be doing much. Waited over 10 minutes for a menu, eventually stood up & found one. Couple at next table also grumbled about waiting. Ordered after some time. Fishcakes very soggy, with very little fish & served with overpowering garlic mayo. Accompanying chips were nowhere to be seen, when they did arrive were covered in salt & inedible. Sat for another 15 minutes before my plate was removed. Young manager tried to make amends with free dessert but he seemed to be under pressure & rushed. Would be very hesitant to return.

Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank tenjd
England
Reviewed 30 January 2014

I stayed here on Sunday night with my two sisters. From the moment I'd called to book 3 rooms to the time we left on Monday, we had excellent service. Mary on reception is exceptional and could not have been more helpful (arranging taxis; an early check in for one of the rooms and rooms in a quiet location), particularly when I rearranged our room/taxi booking three times! All done with a friendly, professional and caring attitude. The rooms were all spotless with very comfortable beds; the heating was on when we got to the rooms and extra milk pots provided straight away. Check in and out was smooth. The service in the restaurant and the dining room at breakast the next day was good. What let the hotel down was the quality of the food - we had lunch on the Sunday (a mediocre offering of roast beef with vegetables - obviously reheated/microwaved). The crumble for pudding was just about ok. The hot breakfast was a big disappointment. We arrived just after 9.30am (breakfast was 'til 10.00am) It was brought from the kitchen so we were expecting it to be freshly cooked. A good sized portion but again, pre-cooked, microwaved/reheated food. Had the breakfast cook gone home early?!!! I left most of it. And no sign of any soda bread! We asked for some and some walnut studded bread arrived - not quite the soda bread we know and love. Sort out the kitchen and stop serving reheated food and you'll be rated 5*.

Room Tip: Room 216 was a huge family room with a double and 2 single beds Rooms 213 and 215 large room with a...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Colleen_Jennings
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed 26 January 2014

Stopped for lunch here on friday. Overall disappointing. The waitress was miserable and quite short with us. The chef however, did do breakfast items for our mother even though breakfast was over which was appreciated and the rest of food was lovely..tasty and beautifully presented. The tea though was possibly the worst I've ever had! Now sure how that can even happen and 2 of our cups were dirty. Once we had paid someone came to clear our table straight away, cups, everything gone..felt like we were being rushed out the door. It wasnt busy. Bit more attention to detail needed in this place and staff could do with lesson in how to treat paying customers!!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 January 2014

My husband and I had our wedding in the claregalway hotel on New Year's Eve 2013. From start to finish the claregalway hotel and staff out done themselves under Nora gill's lead. Before the wedding Nora and her team were more than helpful and accommodating and on the day of the wedding words couldn't describe how perfect the day went off. Dinners were served with military precision, each cooked to perfection with very little time left between each course and an abundance of food provided. First dance was introduced beautifully and the band and dj continued on till late with permission given from Nora unbeknown to us. Many comments were made that it seemed like a 5 star hotel due to its perfect service and set up. So thank you Nora, Gary and all the staff at claregalway hotel for making our day so incredible.

• Stayed December 2013
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed 15 January 2014

My Husband and i did an overnight at this hotel recently as we were attending a family wedding. There were four ladies at the reception desk when we arrived , one lovely girl spoke to us and checked us in, the others continued to rush and race around the reception area - making it look and making me feel a little uncomfortable !
However we made our way to our room which was large, spacious and had everything one might need for an overnight stay, On entering the room we found it very cold but you could operate the heating system manually within the room, the Double room was a spacious comfortable room consisting of a double and single bed, The hotel could probably do with a little updating, The bedroom decor is starting to get a little shabby, likewise i thought the hallway and doorways were starting to look a little worn and very cold on the hallway.
We did not use the leisure facilities but went to see them - they looked fine but cant really comment on them without using them first.
The food served at the Wedding was beautiful and plentiful, the staff were very efficient and so helpful.
The breakfast the following morning was o.k - i wouldn't be rushing back for it !
We would do an overnight there again - but possibly just one night ! The Staff and the beautiful dinner served at the wedding reception made our stay at the hotel,

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DELLAWIN
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 13 January 2014

Myself and my boyfriend stayed in this hotel on Saturday night after purchasing a Living Social voucher. The receptionist who checked us in was very professional and extremely friendly. She was aware that we were staying with the voucher and took it off us to file. The room was lovely and spacious. A main course meal was included with the meal which we availed of that night. We sat down with our menus and waited 15mins for our order to be taken. Our meals arrived and we were informed the vegetables were on the way. However, after asking for them 3 times, they finally arrived AFTER we had polished off our meat. We received very little in the way of an apology and no compensation. The worst part of our stay was our check out. The manager informed us there was a balance of €52 to be paid. However I explained that we had paid €69 to Living Social for our voucher. I pointed out everything in the fine print which was included for this €69. She proceeded to try to convince me that I had paid Living Social but now I needed to pay the hotel. She was not making any sense and was adamant that I owed her more money than what I had already paid. I refused to pay anything else as I knew I had paid all I needed to. I questioned why this extra payment was not mentioned in the fine print OR over the phone when we booked OR when we checked in. She informed me that I should have checked the deal's website myself. As I refused to pay the money, she went into the back to make a phone call. She eventually returned saying the other receptionist never entered the voucher code and that the Living Social website will give the hotel the money that it is owed. I was so disgusted by the way we were treated. It was clear that the receptionist had no idea how this voucher worked but yet, was adamant I owed the hotel money. She said many other guests who stayed using the voucher had also paid this €52. I am very concerned that other guests were conned into handing over more money that the hotel was NOT owed. Although this hotel was visually acceptable on the inside, the staff really let it down.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank mayweee
Also consider these accommodations in or near Claregalway
The Arches Hotel, Claregalway
#21 of 46 in Galway
Clybaun Hotel
Clybaun Hotel
#6 of 46 in Galway

Been to Claregalway Hotel? Share your experiences!