“Poor”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Claregalway
Galway, Ireland
“Poor”
Reviewed 1 June 2014

After hearing from a colleague about the lovely new bar menu they launched last year we stopped off for a bite to eat. The bar menu we were handed was limited and had no pizza among other items on it which my colleague had a few weeks previous. After waiting for quiet some time a waitress came over to take our order. My partner asked what came with the steak to which she replied 'what does it say on the menu' (it didn't specify what it was served with that is why he asked!) She grabbed the menu out of his hands and said 'oh it doesn't say, what do you want with it and ill see if the chef has it) Getting off to a bad start already.

When the food came out it was quiet bland and again we waited for a long time before our table was cleared. We also ordered two drinks and had to go up to the bar to order them a second time as the waitress forgot to bring them down.

The service was extremely slow so much so we didn't have time to have dessert as we were there about an hour and a half for a two course bar menu. One of the proprietors was there working in the bar on the evening so I couldn't understand how poor the service was. The table beside us also had to go ask for their drinks so it wasn't just our table.

Certainly wouldn't consider returning anytime soon.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank holidayz_12
obcg, Manager at Claregalway Hotel, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Although I was disappointed to read, I would like to sincerely thank you for your feedback. . Personally, I apologise for the standards of service that you encountered. All of the team here will be disappointed as this does not reflect the level of high standards that we consistently drive to achieve.
I would also like to thank your friend for the lovely comment about our popular bar menu.

Unfortunately from time to time we can sell out of certain menu items that are popular on the day.
In relation to our service issues, we have sat down with our staff and discussed your upset with both this waitress’s menu knowledge and what appeared to be a discourteous means of grabbing the menu. I have immediately actioned this and have committed myself to revise our menus daily with our highly professional food and beverage staff, therefore improving your experience as a valued customer.
Once again we pride ourselves on consistently high service standards, and slow service is a phrase which we will not leave unaddressed.
I am disappointed that you did not get to try our beautiful selection of desserts and if I had been made aware of your issues at the time I would have ensured that you were taken care of.

I once again sincerely apologise and i do thank you for taking time to post your comments. Your feedback is important to us as it keeps with our culture of continuously trying to better our establishment and our team.
I hope that you will join us again and we can show you what we are all about.
Kind regards
Darrah Doyle
F&B Manager
Claregalway Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

Was passing through Claregalway and stopped in for a meal and drink. Lovely bright cheerful premises . Staff are very friendly and service was excellent . I love that you can see inside the kitchen from the bar. Great atmosphere with many families having Sunday lunch. Food was excellent .

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank Bern777
Minnetonka, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Older hotel, modernized and very comfortable. Great breakfast. Music in the lounge at night. We almost didn't stop. Several buildings joined together. Car park, helpful staff. Didn't use the spa, but they had one.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kathleen H
Reviewed 15 May 2014

We recently held an awards evening of 100 people in the Claregalway hotel and dealt with Aoife in conferencing and banqueting from first enquiring right through to the night itself. We found the hotel a pleasure to deal with- we had a number of special requirements for the night and the hotel team worked to get everything sorted with little or no hassle for the organising team.
The main positive with the Claregalway hotel is their efficiency- everything you ask for is no problem at all which makes life very easy for any organising team.
On the night of the awards the room was prepared to a really high standard and looked great, the staff are friendly and great at what they do- their supervisor has them providing service which is as efficient as I have seen in any hotel.
The food was great on the night and the staff came around with seconds which many of our guests were delighted with.
I would recommend the Claregalway hotel for all your event and banqueting needs- Aoife will be of great assistance in organising your night.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank RickyCRDP
Reviewed 10 May 2014

After a disappointing meal in the hotel last summer I was presented with a dinner voucher from the owner as a means of 'saving face'. I decided to bring my family for a meal again I was confident that it couldnt possibly be as bad as the first one. How wrong I was. Starters soup was perfect. Then the mains, my guests had a steak and a burger. The chips were raw. The onion rings were ice cold. The meat was "ok". I was left without a dinner for 10/15 minutes while my guests politely attempted to eat their meals. I had to then approach the bar to enquire about my missing dinner. A thai red curry was given to me 10 minutes later. A lump of a lukewarm chicken breast, not even diced with sauce.Cutting into the chicken was like cutting rubber. We had desserts, bland cheesecake. No effort, nothing special. The meal was again a disaster. I went to the hotel hungry and left hungry. As did my guests. The staff were excellent, service was wonderful, they were helpful and apologetic and very friendly. Each member was under alot of stress, it appeared to us that there was not enough staff on. One of my guests and I decided to stay and have a few drinks in the bar (no atmosphere, dull, lifeless) and we were enjoying eachothers company, nothing over the top and the female co-owner of the hotel, from behind the bar had the audacity to "Ssh" us. I have never been so offended in my life in such an unprofessional manner. Are guests of this hotel not aloud to enjoy themselves?? Its a disgrace that the woman felt she could "Ssh" paying customers. Its a bar in a hotel, not a library. I would'nt recommend the hotel, its food or its snobby attitude to anyone. The staff are the only credit to the place, other then that it is a complete disappointment.

• Stayed May 2014
4 Thank EatLaughLove
obcg, Owner at Claregalway Hotel, responded to this review, 11 May 2014
Many thanks for your feedback, I do apologise that we again did not meet your expectations, for a second time. Your experience is not in keeping with the other feedback we are getting but sincerely we do appreciate your taking the time to share your asserted experience. The team on duty, as you say are fantastic and remember you and your guests for some distinct reason, are at a loss for your comments, as you did not mention any of these issues during your meal such as the cold food which we would have immediately correctly if that was the case. Given that on two occasions we have not met your expectations, may I suggest to you in the nicest way possible, that the hotel does not meet your needs, and perhaps one of the other establishments nearby may server you expectations and needs best- and we always want what’s best for you-our valued customer. I sincerely do thank you so much for your feedback, and apologise for our apparent poor service, as it is in this way we can continue to learn and improve our offer to you.
Canvey Island Essex UK
Reviewed 4 May 2014

My family recently convened at the Claregalway Hotel for a family wedding and from the outside it looks like a typical modern faceless building like any other. But don't be deceived for within beats a heart of gold, a place where everyone from the chambermaid to senior management did all to make our wedding special. They seemed to take it personal and had as much fun as we did.
The was military precision in the way things were run yet tender gentle moments we will remember for ever.
Our daughter was nervous and panicking like and potential bride but now is overcome with happiness at an occasion which was perfect. Thank you all at Clare Galway

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank shaverley
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We stayed over Easter this year on a Living Social Deal. I can only say good things about this hotel. It is only a 10-minute drive from Galway city, a great base for travelling. Our room (double and single bed) was unbelievably spacious and there was a lovely Easter surprise for our son at the side of the bed. The swimming pool was great and the overall atmosphere in the hotel was nice and relaxing. Rooms etc were very clean and there was plenty of hot water for showers. There was entertainment on both nights in the bar which was really good. We did not samle the food, but judging by the fabulous breakfast it is good I am sure. We were very lucky with the weather and were able to go the beach in Salthill which made the whole trip extra special. A special thanks to Catherine at reception who was extremely helpful through her e-mails and on arrival. We will definitely return to this hotel and can only recommend it as a great base to explore beautiful Galway

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Martina H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Claregalway
The Arches Hotel, Claregalway
The Connacht Hotel
The Connacht Hotel
#21 of 45 in Galway
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,480 reviews

Been to Claregalway Hotel? Share your experiences!