“Comfy Sofa ”

Price range: US$12 - US$41
Cuisines: British, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Located in the idyllic rural setting of Earlswood, Solihull, the Bull's Head is a historic country pub that offers the finest locally sourced food and award winning cask ales from Daniel Thwaites. As with any traditional country pub, we are passionate about offering simple, honest, home-cooked food made from the best local produce. Our head chef Mark works closely with local suppliers to provide you with a menu that is seasonal and great value for money. Our menu changes frequently so there is always something new to try!
Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

Waited here for a few hours while my car was being repaired nearby. Very pleasant environment, comfy sofa and delicious cappuccinos while I read the paper and did the crossword. No pressure from staff to order more or move on. Only let down by lack of nibbles behind the bar (no crisps or nuts, let alone anything more exotic) and a dirty table to which my paper kept sticking.

There are newer reviews for The Bulls Head

Reviewed 21 April 2014

just been for a drink and the tables were full of empty glasses on 1 occasion counted 65 on 4 empty tables.

Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

Great place for a drink. Lovely decor, lovely surroundings. We have been here a few times for a drink & had a great time. Decided to try the menu, what a pile of rubbish! If you do book a table on a Saturday night, don't think you'll be able to get there a little earlier and have a drink first (if you want a seat) the place was heaving and there was little standing room, let alone seating. It was 3 deep at the bar and took us nearly half an hour to get our first drink on arrival. This would be easily solved with more chairs & indeed more than 2 bar staff......(they did their best) so obviously by the time we sat down to eat we were just grateful to have a seat & indeed a bit of room. I ordered the cod starter (fishfingers & rocket smothered in olive oil!) my husband had the squid (cold! & rocket again that had too much olive oil downed) kebab for main, which I was so embarrassed when I couldn't even chew it & the tsatsiki dip was so watered down-I've never tasted anything like it! I never write reviews and have eaten at many places. I really felt the need to write this. It seems to me this place really has the opportunity to be fantastic. The food needs a lot of work. It was disgusting!

Reviewed 14 April 2014

Came here on Friday 11th April for a romantic meal after a friend said that she had a disappointing experience, I decided to go anyway as the reviews on here seemed more positive and I thought it was very good that the manager responded to each person.

The restaurant was happy to adjust the time by half an hour for us at reasonably short notice. We thought it was very lovely inside and I was impressed by the décor and how cosy it felt. The menu has a lot of choice, but quite diverse. I opted for the Pollock with chorizo and my boyfriend went for the steak.

When our food arrived, I was slightly disappointed with the size of my meal compared to my partners. His meal came with chips, onion rings and two sauces with a small handful of watercress as the "vegetable" portion, which didn't really think was a decent portion, as 80g counts as 1 of the 5 a day. However, the steak was delicious particularly the blue cheese sauce!!

When it came to the end of the meal (which for me was quite quickly), the server asked us if we had enjoyed it. I thought that it was an opportunity to be honest, as a lot of people won't say anything and then moan on here about it. The server was very nice about it and got one of the managers, who was equally as nice. He mentioned that it was fresh fish, hence the cost for such a small portion, but I suggested bulking out the sauce with more chickpeas or indeed adding another vegetable. They also said that they were testing out their summer menu, so they appreciated the feedback.

All in all though, the food was excellent. The manager also offered us free dessert, of which mine was a spectacular fruit kebab with ice cream, mini marshmallows and a chocolate dipping sauce. I would say though that the ganache was quite runny and sickly, so I'd have preferred more of a melted chocolate fountain type sauce, but this is only my preference.

I did enjoy it and we didn't feel rushed at all and stayed for another drink at our table with no problems at all. I would recommend going and giving feedback directly to the servers, as they were really kind. Two stars for value, due to the portion sizes and three stars for romance as there was a candle on our table, but they didn't light it :(

Reviewed 13 April 2014

Table for 4 booked a week in advance. On Arrival could see that a Wedding party had taken over the restaurant and was informed that we would be eating in the Bar. Was not happy. When shown to the table it was set up with 4 stools. We asked for chairs which were begrudgingly found for us. We made our thoughts known to the Manager. Food was good if not great and delivered by friendly staff and promptly. NOTE TO MANAGEMENT; Diners should be advised at the time of booking that the Restaurant is not available so that the Diner can make a decision whether to go ahead with the booking, as it is too late to change on arrival. At the end of the meal The Manager apologised and offered a reimbursement for us to visit again and "see how we can do it properly....This was gratefully accepted, and we will return to see.....Watch this space..