“Great Place for the Family” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Elms

The Elms
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Abberley
Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
“Great Place for the Family”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

We stayed here for a night with our two young children, and we had a great time. The hotel had a very relaxed feel about it, and there were plenty of families with similar aged children all happily playing in the lounge areas.
We ate in the hotel and the evening meal was excellent and of a high standard.
The facilities were very good and the service was excellent, nothing was too much for ask for from the front desk. On arriving home we realised that we had left one of our childrens bed time bears at the hotel. The hotel were great in posting it back to us with a lovely note included saying that the bear had enjoyed his extended stay, which summed up there understanding of young children and families. Will definitely be returning.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
TheElmsAbberley, General Manager at The Elms, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
Dear FFamily
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. I was so pleased to read you nice comments and glad that you had a great time, including Teddy who's schedule allowed him to get in a couple of extra days! I'm glad he is now home safely.
I do hope we can welcome you all back in the near future.

Best regards
Hayley and the team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
worcester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2014

My husband and I decided to treat ourselves to afternoon tea something we have only generally done in the summer we had heard how lovely the Elms Hotel was so we thought would give it try. We were greeted by Barry with his first class customer service and made to feel very welcome we sat by a real fire which added to the cosy atmosphere. The afternoon tea was top class with a wonderful choice of sandwiches and cakes, excellent value for money.

As the hotel caters for families we will definitely be returning with our family and Grandson in the summer, I can imagine my Grandson running around the grass with Grandad chasing him.

There is also the spa facilities ... that will be another review!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
TheElmsAbberley, General Manager at The Elms, responded to this review, 14 February 2014
Dear Bo55man
Thank you for reviewing your afternoon tea visit with us. Yes the log fires are a real delight in this weather!. I am so pleased that you enjoyed the experience and I will pass on your kind comments to Barry.

I do hope we see you here again soon.
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2014

Stayed here with our 2 boys. We were a little nervous as we weren't sure how 'family friendly' it was actually going to be. We were not disappointed in the slightest. The staff were excellent with both adults and children and were not invasive and there was definitely something to keep us all happy (bar, spa, toys, DVD's, grounds and playground to play in, hidden teddy bears and badgers to find). The hotel and surroundings are beautiful and the décor is in keeping with the age of the hotel. Our room still managed to feel luxurious even though it was family friendly. The roaring fires were a delight. A good selection at breakfast - plenty of choice on the buffet if you didn't want cooked. Food in the evening was of an excellent standard for both young and older!. We will definitely be back again and have even discussed gathering the family here at Christmas time as it would be idyllic.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Dear Lou176

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I am so pleased that you had a wonderful stay with us and that we were able to deliver exactly what was needed for your family break. I do hope we get to welcome you back in the near future. Christmas is idyllic here!

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014 via mobile

I stayed here with my baby daughter and mum and from the first contact with reception received excellent service. Our rooms were lovely and when I asked for additional items they were provided immediately. The pool and spa were lovely and there was plenty of space to relax by the fire. The only slight downside was the dinner service one night, it was very slow and that was a problem when dining with a baby. The food itself was very good and breakfast offered a good choice. The vast majority of the staff were superb so it was a shame that the two staff on the night in question let the side down. I would definitely return.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
TheElmsAbberley, General Manager at The Elms, responded to this review, 11 February 2014
Dear KDB
Thanks you for taking the time to write a review. I am sorry that it seems a couple of staff have let down the committed efforts of the others. I will discuss your feedback Barry my F&B Manager. We have just undertaken an afternoon of training for the team to agree some consistent service standards and I do believe that the team want to always give a great service.
I am please that there were many aspects of your stay that you enjoyed and I do hope we get the chance to welcome you back to The Elms in the near future.

Kind Regards
Worcestershire, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

I came to the Elms expecting a luxurious relaxing weekend, but was very disappointed. The tiny the room that we stayed in was ridiculously over priced with worn down furniture and repulsive decor. In fact I've had a better room in a 2 star b&b.
Our evening meal would have been far more relaxing if our background noise wasn't the waitresses latest gossip. I felt like a nuisance just to interrupt to ask for a drink. The food was average, but again, defiantly not worth the price.
Same in the morning we felt a bit lost going down to breakfast, there wasn't any staff to begin with and then when they did come it seemed very disorganised and I wish I stuck to the continental rather than ordering cooked breakfast as the waiter got my order wrong and it wasn't worth the wait.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank rebeccadrake93
Much Wenlock, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014

Advertised as family friendly but meals times and location segregated. Dined in a separate, cold room from adult diners. Very basic childrens menu. Plastic plates for my mature children who gave eaten in Michelin starred restaurants without any issue in the past. Patronising approach to the children. Pool super. Grounds average and room decor very 'tired'.
An expensive stay without living up to the 'special' experience I was expecting for my children.
I fed back to the hotel and received no word of a reply.

Room Tip: Please avoid.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank G M
Dear GM
Thanks you for your review. naturally I am disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I would very much like to discuss the experience with you and apologise if I have failed to follow up with you after you asked for it. Please call me at the hotel at your convenience as I am unable to ascertain from the details when you came and in which room you stayed and this would really help me to understand the points you have raised.
Thanks you in advance for taking the time to talk to me about this.

Kind Regards
Douglas, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2014

Beautiful setting and plenty of room to spread out in the three exceptionally comfortable lounges downstairs. The bedrooms were exceptionally comfortable. Spa and swimming pool were well designed and the areas near the hotel , tennis court, gardens, children's play area and children's activity area were equally well planned. Families were well catered for in this extremely friendly family hotel and so were the couples without families. Breakfast was filling and varied and the staff were attentive. However the evening menu was limited and appeared to have the same menu each night. There were no additional vegetables with the main course. In a hotel of this quality there should really be a change of menu or a chef's special to add variety to a very limited evening menu.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Gelling
Thanks you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I am pleased that you liked the family friendly facilities and that you were able to make the most of the grounds and play areas.
I am sorry that the menu choices let us down. We have introduced new menus this week for Bistro and lunch time and made more options available for evening dining, I am sorry that this was not in place during your stay , it has taken us a while to co-ordinate training and tasting and printing menus etc to make the change over. I will take on board all of your comments and will share your kind words in regard of the team with everyone.
Once again thank you and I hope I have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Elms in the future.

Hayley Kirton
Also consider these accommodations in or near Abberley
Bank House Hotel, Spa & Golf, BW Premier Collection
Hallmark Hotel Stourport Manor
Hallmark Hotel Stourport Manor
#1 of 1 in Stourport-on-Severn
Mercure Kidderminster Hotel

Been to The Elms? Share your experiences!