“Another Great Hotel From This Chain” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Elms

The Elms
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Abberley
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Another Great Hotel From This Chain”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

I'm sat in one of the drawing rooms writing this. My son is happily playing at the Bears Den whilst I've been able to pack, pay the bill and still have some time left as I don't have to collect him until 12 noon. And this sums up our little holiday here, relaxing for parents and lots of fun for children. It's rained every day but we've still had a fantastic time, in fact we haven't left the hotel grounds nor have we wanted to.

The hotel itself is beautifully furnished with antiques, thick carpets and comfy sofas and chairs. There are toy chests randomly scattered around the place and a toy, book and DVD area by reception to catch the children's eye as you check in.

Our bedroom was furnished in a similar style, cleaned daily to a high standard with a comfy bed; TV and DVD player; bathroom with tub and wonderful 'waterfall' shower; radio, hairdryer, iron; and room service is also available.

Extremely high standard of service in the restaurant, the waiting staff went beyond their duty in a courteous and friendly manner (not an easy combination to master). The actual food was delicious and no wonder, I actually spied the chef picking some herbs during dinner, now you cannot get fresher than that. Indeed they grow their own vegetables and herbs here and have chickens to ensure fresh eggs for breakfast.

The crèche staff are fantastic with the children, a free 2 hour slot is available every day which suited me perfectly. During our stay there was a slumber party which my son attended for an additional £10 he had a wonderful time and I had 3 hours to myself. Now that's a bargain babysitting rate.

We thoroughly enjoyed the swimming pool and the indoor and outdoor hot tubs. There are no limits to the times children can swim so we weren't at all restricted but could go whenever we liked.

Whoever thought of the idea of this chain of hotels is either a genius or a parent - but probably both.

3 Thank JennyBaldwin
TheElmsAbberley, General Manager at The Elms, responded to this review, 31 May 2014
Dear JennyBaldwin
Thank you for your lovely review, I am so happy that you had a lovely stay and it seems that you really get what we are about and that it was made for you and parents like you.
We do have a fabulous herb and veg garden, we are very lucky to have two excellent gardeners who keep all of that going, I'm looking forward to the strawberries! Unfortunately I can't lay claim to the chickens, they belong to next door at the field house farm but yes, fresh eggs are never very far away.
I will share your comments with the whole team, the waiting and creche teams will love their mentions.
Thanks again and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Hayley Kirton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

We went here for a day spa package and were truly impressed. The facilities are on the smaller sale than your usual spa destination but its immaculately clean, friendly and so peaceful. There were only about 10 other people in the spa and my only warning might be if you want a child free experience this place might not be for you. It's very child friendly but still definitely has adult appeal. We were here during half term and only saw about 4 children.

The little garden cafe had a Scandinavian inspired look and we were given our own table for the day to take afternoon tea and drinks etc. The treatments were first class and the treatment rooms are modern, clean and very professionally run.

The views from the hotel are gorgeous and there are gardens to walk around and the main hotel is stylish and chic. The spa is a modern but sympathetic add on to the hotel. I would definitely come back here again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank LSM2000
Dear LSM2
Thank you for your review of The Elms Spa, the girls wil love to read that you ahd a lovely time and that it was well run with great treatments. I am pleased that the children were not an issue, we really do aim to keep everyone happy and it seems in your case we successed.

Thanks you again for the review and I do hope we get to see you again soon

Best regards
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

We ended up at The Elms in February quite by accident, when a 48 hour power cut forced my husband and two children to seek refuge somewhere warm. A quick Google search on 'Family Friendly Luxury Hotels' produced The Elms and a quick phone call later, we were off.

Having never stayed at a place like this we weren't sure what to expect, but from the minute we walked in the door we knew we had made the right decision. Our girls were immediately whisked off to do face painting whilst my husband and I enjoyed a G&T in the bar. We were shown to our room which was very large and comfortable, with folding beds for the kids. The kids then spent the rest of the afternoon with the wonderful staff at the lovely on site kids club meaning that my husband and I got to spend an unexpected relaxing afternoon in the hotel pool and hot tub.

After a very reasonable and delicious 'High Tea' for the girls, they went to bed happy and exhausted. The listening service meant that my husband and I could enjoy a lovely dinner downstairs. Even better, we got a lie-in on Sunday morning when more wonderful staff arrived to take the girls off for breakfast.

Hayley and her staff are wonderful and every member of our family had a fantastic time and didn't want to leave. We will definitely be returning.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank whatleylover
Dear Whatleylover

Thank you for writing a review of your February stay, I am so pleased you chose us in your hour of need and after such a story we , of course, wanted to make sure your home from home was just that. I'm glad we succeeded.
It was a pleasure having you all here and a negative was turned to a positive!
We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Billericay, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

My wife and I spent a lovely two day visit using a travel zoo special. Everything about the hotel is excellent, from the booking process, arrival, our room, the food, restaurant service, swimming pool to the check out. We used the pool, spa pool and steam room three times. The fitness area is quite small, but it is still extremely acceptable.

The cream tea on arrival, which was part of the travel zoo deal, was excellent, albeit that it probably added on a few pounds!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Trevor W
Dear TrevorW
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay. I am so pleased that you had a lovely time and that you would recommend it to other couples for it's lovely spa and dining facilities.
I do hope we see you here on a future visit.

Worcestershire England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed here for a night in mid May with a Travelzoo voucher. Had a lovely coach-house room - very quiet and comfortable. The cream tea was delicious and quite enormous. Dinner was lovely, served in the beautiful dining room (only slight reservation - drinks were very slow as there was a large conference party that seemed to take a lot of staff attention). Fortunately things speeded up and we really enjoyed the food and the choice of half bottle carafes. Breakfast was great, particularly the smoked salmon and scrambled egg. We had a glorious walk round the grounds after breakfast and got to talk to the head gardener about all the vegetables and herbs grown there for the restaurant. Highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

Our family of 4 recently stayed at the Elms (children 7 and 4) in mid-May and we had an amazing time! The staff was fantastic and so nice, especially Tiago, who was possibly the best bartender we have ever had at a hotel during our travels.

The activities for the kids were amazing. They would pick up the kids for breakfast at 8am and then we had the option to take them to their Kids Club for a 2 hour supervised session each day which was included with the room rate. They had a trampoline, tennis courts, swingset, football (soccer) goal and croquet. They had a ton of kids DVDs for them to watch in the room. The kids also loved the Fairy Trail around the property. Again, completely blown away by the kids activities at The Elms.

A few other comments:
1. Try the local Hobson's ales. They are fantastic, especially the Old Henry.
2. Dana, a local taxi driver from Kinderminster, who gave us a ride to the property from the train station was amazing. He even gave me a sampler ale pack from the Wye Valley Brewery just for riding along with him. What a nice gesture!
3. Views of the area from the hotel were amazing.
4. The rooms and bathrooms were very spacious, but they can get a little warm if it's hot outside and a breeze isn't blowing through the windows.
5. Food was very good, especially breakfast. We never left the hotel and ate breakfast, lunch and dinner there for the 2 days we were there. Would have liked to see a few pizza options on the menu, especially for the kids.
6. My wife enjoyed the spa treatments she received, but it was very busy and she would have liked to do longer treatments instead of 30 minute sessions. Additional staff members might be a good option.

Overall, this is one of the nicest family properties we have ever stayed at. Highly recommended for families wanting a relaxing weekend getaway! Thanks!

2 Thank Griebs
Dear Griebs

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay and your excellent suggestions that I'm sure future guests will find really helpful.
I will pass on your comments to Tiago and the bears Den staff , they all love to see their efforts so appreciated.
It seems that your family really made the most of all we have to offer and for us that is exaclty what it's all about.
I do hope we see you all again soon!

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

We were a family group of 14, including 5 kids of assorted ages, gathered for a 70th birthday weekend away. The staff were great and made the weekend very special. Plenty of stuff for kids of all ages from a creche to rounders equipment - even tennis rackets were provided. Good food and an interesting wine list for the adults. We all had a wonderful stay and I would heartily recommend the Elms for a family break. Book spa appointments in advance though - there were none available by the time we arrived.

1 Thank izabela s
Also consider these accommodations in or near Abberley
Bank House Hotel, Spa & Golf, BW Premier Collection
Hallmark Hotel Stourport Manor
Hallmark Hotel Stourport Manor
#1 of 1 in Stourport-on-Severn
Hogarths Stone Manor

Been to The Elms? Share your experiences!