“A night to remember...”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Abberley
Swindon, United Kingdom
“A night to remember...”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We had a great time at the Elms. On arrival we were told we'd been upgraded to the best room in the hotel, which was superb. Spa and garden facilities were great. 5 course taster menu was excellent and the staff were all really polite and friendly. Later in the evening I proposed to my girlfriend... luckily she said yes! So we'll remember this one for some time :-)

1 Thank John M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2014

My daughter and I booked in for a Spa day, on arrival we were welcomed and shown around but unfortunately weren't offered our welcome drink! We used the pool and jacuzzi. The changing rooms and pool area were all clean and tidy. After a swim we decided to go and use the Thermal Suite. We had been looking forward to this. Advertised on the website as Sauna, Steam Room, Ice Fountain and Tropical Shower. An experience like nothing before, or words to that effect!! We sat relaxing in the sauna until we need to cool off. We moved over the the ice fountain/tropical shower which we found wasn't working! I reported this at reception. I was told someone from Maintence would be called over to look at it. This cut short our use of the suite as we need to cool off so headed back to the pool. We then had our afternoon tea. This was a selection of sandwiches, scones and cream and fancy cakes along with a glass of Pimms. Very nice too!! We relaxed a while in the Quiet Room then decided to go and try the Thermal Suite again. Again disappointed as the Ice Fountain/Tropical Shower was not working...
We then went up to the Treatment Rooms for our Strawberry and Cream Body Scrub. This was very relaxing and made our skin lovely and soft for days afterwards. On the whole we did enjoy the day. I reported the fountain/shower again when we were leaving. The receptionist apologised and said she had called Maintence. I wish now I asked for a reduction in price!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel as a brilliant wedding reception venue; The Elms hotel and it's staff made our day incredibly special. The food was absolutely wonderful, both for the wedding breakfast and for the evening buffet and the team who co-ordinated the wedding from start to finish (Fern, David and Barry) ensured that the whole day flowed without any incident. The hotel also applied for a late license so that we were able to carry on the celebrations until 1am!
We had 18 children come to the wedding as well and the parents literally gushed over the experience and nature of all the creche staff who helped out. The kids were so worn out with the fun that they had, even the most lively of kids fell asleep early!

A very memorable day and one that wouldn't have been as enjoyable without the expertise of the staff at The Elms Hotel. Thank you!!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
London
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We stayed at The Elms after a local wedding and were quite disappointed. Whilst the location is lovely and the service good, our room was uncomfortably hot and we had a terrible nights sleep. When we checked in there were two fans on in the room pushing warm air around. We opened the windows and kept the fans on but the room was horribly hot throughout the night and we both had a very broken nights sleep. This is not me being picky about it being a bit warm, the room was stuffy and uncomfortable, even with the remedial measures the hotel had put in place. I did mention this on checkout and I understand that permanent air conditioning is not possible as it is a listed building; however, if you are going to book in the warmer months it it is something you need to consider.

1 Thank JonSmith
Walsall, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2014

A beautiful Queen Anne mansion now converted into a lovely hotel with relaxing lounges, excellent food, although the chef has to be told fish and fruit don't mix. Our first night we enjoyed the tasting menu of five courses, however, the whole poussin was a challenge. I think we'd have enjoyed it more if we'd shared one.
Nice breakfasts but unusually no full English on offer. But the black pudding hash and two fried eggs were very tasty. Smoked salmon and scrambled eggs are always a winner, but these were beautifully cooked and nicely presented.
The rooms are comfortable, well furnished and with nice bathrooms with good showers although at 6'1" I struggled and kept hitting my head on the shower head.
Beautiful gardens and a superb spa, good sized pool and hydrotherapy pool, hot tub in my language.
Beware of the barman called Diego, we waited twenty minutes for a gin and tonic on our first night, and although there are two additional waiters he has to control everything and consequently slows service and causes confusion when he's in the dining room wither serving wine or food.
Overall a lovely hotel in a beautiful location, Ludlow, stour port and Worcester within easy driving distance plenty to see and do.
The hotel is geared to families, although as a couple we weren't inconvenienced by this.

Room Tip: All rooms have a good view over the gardens at the rear or the croquet lawn and grounds at the front...
1 Thank robmog88
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2014

This was one of the best breaks I have had for a long time.
We were travelling with our 19 month old son and booked at the last minute.
The first point is the price...it is quite eye watering but as to whether you find it value for money has to based on your viewpoint.

Firstly, all the good....The staff are fantastic, friendly, helpful and enthusiastic for all the things we were after...namely, being good with our son and making sure he was entertained.
The pool, grounds, creche and playground/tennis court are also perfect (if the weather is on your side).
The room was a very good size...it's an old building so there is no air con but a cooling unit is provided.
All of these things meant for us that is was absolutely perfect to be able to spend quality time as a family and also some nice time alone knowing our son was being well looked after...These points alone meant we were exceptionally happy with our stay.

I agree up to a point with some of the reviews that criticise the food. I think it is all down to the price charged and the expectation that comes with the price. I was so happy with other parts of our stay that I would have been happy with quite a basic menu. The issue is that the attempt at fine dining needs one serious culinary and waiting skill to back it up. All the staff here appear to multi-task and it means that if they are fantastic at one thing they may only be good at another. Personally I was happy that they were fantastic at child interaction but only ok at suggesting the correct wine. If I had gone expecting great food and service as part of a romantic getaway without children, I think I would be disappointed.
The food itself was a mixture, I had a fantastic steak one night but my wife had the same the following night and the meat was so gristly as to be virtually inedible. We were so happy with everything else that it really didn't matter.

Bottom line is that if you manage your expectations accordingly with regard to what you want for your money, you will have a fantastic time.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Surrey
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Wonderful location, beautiful hotel, but.... Drab grey carpets, worn in places, cheap bedding, cheap TV's, Free WiFi ..what free WiFi, not even good enough to download your email let alone access a website. Wherever you went in the public areas, there were used coffee cups, glasses, teapots standing around. Nobody bothers to clean up.
Don't bother going for dinner. The food was rather poor and the service was appalling. It took as 2 1/2 hours to make our way through a disappointing meal, had to ask for cutlery (same happened to the table next door. When I asked for a refill of my water glass I was told that a waiter will be around shortly with the next water round.... Water round??? Never heard of such a thing. Tables were not cleared when guests finished their meals, plates with left over food were just left on the tables. Really, really bad!!!
They call this a luxury hotel. Seriously. It could be, but someone has to pull it together!

4 Thank George G
TheElmsAbberley, General Manager at The Elms, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Thank you for your review. Naturally I was very disappointed to read of your experience during your stay with us and that we were unable to meet your expectations on this occasion.

I note your comments regarding your dining experience and we must hold our hands up here. On this particular evening we did not manage the dinner reservations correctly creating a bottleneck effect that impacted on the kitchen, restaurant and the subsequent service throughout the evening. Whilst an apology will regrettably not alter the outcome of your experience, it is offered with all sincerity.

I am pleased that you thought the hotel was beautiful and the location was great, but with such a countryside retreat the wi-fi is compromised a little with our location. Wi-fi is freely available throughout the hotel and whilst we cannot provide huge bandwidth and lightening fast speeds, it certainly allows email download and normal internet browsing once you have clicked through the Elms internet login page.

I am sorry you did not like some of the bedroom provisions. Our aim is to provide a great nights sleep so all of our beds have deep filled mattress toppers, goose feather and down duvets pillows to provide that sumptuous feeling. All our rooms have flat screen TV’s with terrestrial channels and a full range of free view channels.

Thank you once again for your feedback and I regret the disappointment we may have caused.

Yours sincerely

Hayley and the team
Also consider these accommodations in or near Abberley
Bank House Hotel, Spa & Golf, BW Premier Collection
Brockencote Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Chaddesley Corbett
Abbey Hotel Golf & Spa
Hogarths Stone Manor

Been to The Elms? Share your experiences!