“Were we at the same hotel?”
Review of Astoria

Astoria
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Alykes
Reviewed 25 May 2014

My husband and I have just returned from a wonderful week at the Astoria hotel and after reading the review from Welly 78 wondered if we had stayed in the same hotel. Having previously stayed at other accommodation in Alkenes and Alykes, we could find no fault with the Astoria and indeed feel we have found our "forever" hotel! The staff, accommodation and sea view were all fabulous.
The option of cooked items for the buffet breakfast is a lot more than other B&B/apartments in Alykes provide and we were pleasantly surprised. We didn't eat in the hotel every evening but when we did, the meals were excellent value for money and very tasty.
We found the family to be very helpful and I'm sure if the previous reviewer had pointed out the problems with the room, they would probably have been moved.
Roll on next year!

Room Tip: All rooms are quiet but high floor with a sea view is perfect
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank margaret v

Reviewed 18 May 2014

The Astoria Hotel

This is my second visit to the island of Zante, I decided to return to the area of Alykes.

After looking on the internet, I found the Astoria hotel. All the pictures looked rather good & after viewing the other hotels we opted to book with this one.
Upon arrival into the reception of the hotel, we were greeted by the receptionist, we nice and very helpful. We were given a room on the 2nd floor which over looked the sea. Fantastic view which can NOT be faulted in anyway, you would pay great deal of money for that view if it where in another part of the world.

The bedroom itself was really nice, very bright, clean and enough room for two people. The major downside was the bathroom, it was appalling to say the least.
The sink had a big crack in which would probably harbour a mass of bacteria, the shower was really poor, a sliver plated shower head which hasn't been cleaned for years by the look of it, the bath had a 'dirty' scum marks on, which in my view hadn't been cleaned or replaced for years, all of the above can be backed up by the photos which I've taken!
Also there was a dirty smell coming from within the bathroom, I would suggest that the smell is consistent of the smell of the drains.

Upon reading the hotel brochure which I picked up in reception, it clearly states "The toilet system is unique compared to most Greek Islands, as it enables you to use it as you would at home, it is fully filtered and it can deal with all toilet tissues", it became obvious to me, that the cleaner had been looking through our bin beside the toilet to see if we had been placing used toilet in there instead of using the toilet, as you would do in any other Greek Island.
So with the bin being empty, a notice the size of a piece of A4 paper was put above the toilet system for our attention.

Avoid using the kettle in the room, I opened it on the first day to inspect it & it was filthy. There's no way I'd even consider making a cup of tea from it. The tea facilities are poor (surprise), during our one week stay, we were only given two tea bags! If your even considering staying here, bring your own tea bags!

Don't leave your patio door open, the insects including large Mosquitos come in from the swamp and will feast on you! The cleaner continually kept leaving the door open when cleaning despite being told more than once to keep it shut.

The breakfast buffet is poor, a selection of three hot items, eggs, beans, sausage or bacon (I think you'd call it that), the quality of these items are budget! For the sake of paying €5 outside of the hotel you can pick up a decent breakfast.
Also on offer are a selection of two cheeses & fresh fruit (I wouldn't call it fresh), normally a handful of bitter strawberries, oranges and melon.

On the plus side & I do mean this, the view from the breakfast table looking out across the sea is priceless, really amazing, again you can see this from the photographs I've taken.

Most of the staff are polite and helpful, but the waitress who cleans your table doesn't smile & is quite rude! Beware!

If your looking for a cheap holiday with no luxury & want to escape from everyone, come here! I personally will never return, as this hotel just isn't up to my standard, but that is just my view alone.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
10  Thank Welly78
Reviewed 16 October 2013

Although didn't stay at the hotel I did have dinner here on several occasions. The food was fantastic and brilliant value. The Astoria offers a daily 3 course meal for under 10 euros, the choice of starter was either salad or soup of the day, the main course varied from steak in pepper sauce, chicken in mushroom & white wine, sole etc etc & a sweet of either ice cream, mousse or cake. Every meal we had at the restaurant was lovely & the piece de la resistance was that while eating the lovely food we were right by the beach for an ocean view - incredible. Definitely my favourite place in the whole of Alykes, lovely & romantic.

6  Thank L R
Reviewed 8 October 2013

I've stayed here once before with another family member so knew that it was going to tick the boxes for me. This time I was travelling alone.

You can't get much closer to the beach and from my sea view room I felt like I was on the deck of a ship! What a treat to have a buffet style breakfast over looking the calm sea. I found the choice more than adequate and very healthy. I booked on a bed and breakfast basis but just loved having some evening meals in the patio restaurant. Excellent value for money, lovely surroundings, great staff and I felt very comfortable just sitting and absorbing the atmoshphere. Many of the other guests had been there before (some twice a year!) and I can fully appreciate why.

It's a family run hotel and there is always someone round to help you. They seem to be there 24/7 for the short season that the hotel is open but there is always a smile and a greeting.

I agree that a certain amount of TLC may be needed in some areas but the shower produced hot water and I found the food to be excellent quality and more than adequate. The location is so peaceful and yet just a stroll away, on flat ground, to the local village.

Looking forward to my return trip.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
6  Thank thecomfortzone
Reviewed 30 September 2013

In summer 2012 it was the first time we visited hotel Astoria in Alykes and this year when we were looking for the place to spend our holiday, we just couldn't resist not to return there. This is simply a perfect place for calm and relaxing holiday which we prefer. And we also like the family atmosphere the owners of this hotel offer to their guests. No matter how busy they are, they always find a moment for a short friendly chat or just a kind word or two and they do not mind to help with whatever issue their guests can have. We look forward to spend our next holiday in Astoria!

6  Thank Macka_Sv77
Reviewed 26 September 2013

The hotel's location is the best to relax and to start trips to other villages on the island or to the town (Zakynthos), because it is calm and quiet and the bus station is in the front of the entrance. The hotel has an own beach, which is really small, it's enough only for few persons. But there are a lot of very beautiful beaches with 2sunbeds+umbrella for 5EUR.

Bad: the lady in the restaurant was not really friendly in the mornings (actually a bit rude almost with everyone), but the other family members and staff was really nice and friendly with everybody. The breakfast is not bad, but it was boring for us to eat eggs and beans everyday and the sausage was terrible.

The room was very good, clean and it had a balcony with beautiful view! It was cleaned evey day. It was a really good surprise to have a fridge! It's a really useful and helpful equipment.

3  Thank Maramili
Reviewed 15 September 2013

We have just returned from a two week holiday at The Astoria in Alykes which we booked only a week before flying out. We have had an excellent time. The hotel suited our needs perfectly. We had a room with a large balcony which faced the road, hills and salt flats which gave us a good vantage point in observing the daily life of Alykes. The breakfasts at The Astoria are really good compared with those of many other Greek hotels we've stayed in; there is plenty of variety including cereals, eggs, beans, ham, yogurt, fruit, pancakes, muffins, toast. The evening meals were excellent value for money and the quality of the ingredients and the cooking were such that we had seven meals there although in previous visits to Greece we have made a point of eating out at a different place every day to enjoy the variety of Greek culinary delights.
We walked along the beach every day and our favourite sunbathing spot was by the Oasis bar where the sun beds are well spaced out and the Oasis has toilets that are well maintained and kept clean. The waitress there serves excellent frappés!

5  Thank Brenda T
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alykes
Ionian Star Hotel
#4 of 5 in Ammoudi
Paradise Beach Ηotel
Paradise Beach Ηotel
#19 of 26 in Argassi

Been to Astoria? Share your experiences!