Astoria
  • Beachfront
Ionian Star Hotel(Alykes)
  • Beachfront
  • Pool
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 20 August 2008

We stayed at he Astoria for the first time in September 2006 for a two week stay and was a little alarmed when we saw our room.
The bathroom had a awful pong that came through the drains we complained numerous times to the owners who just kept putting bleach down the drains but the smell would return even worse.
We were refused another room and consequently had a absolutley awful fortnight the smell gave you headaches and made you feel sick. We felt like flying home but culdn't get flights. The hotel could do with a complete re-vamp, it is in a lovely spot right on the beach with beatufil views, the staff were friendly but could at times be abrupt.
The best of the holiday was the breakfasts if only to get out of the room and smell something pleasant rather than sewage smells.
We would not stay at this hotel again but are big lovers of Alykes and return there every year we find the resort relaxing and the people very friendly.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 August 2008

I stayed here with my girlfriend from the 2nd Aug to the 16th Aug 2008. Even though the hotel is nice and is of very good quality for Greek standards it certainly has its negative points.

For starters, the cleaners start hoovering every morning at 8:30am on the dot so if you fancy a bit of sleep in the mornings on holiday then it’s not ideal for you. If this doesn’t wake you up then music starts playing around 845am on the dot as well every morning so be warned.

After been woken up its time to go down for breakfast, turned into a routine with the cleaners been my alarm clock. The breakfast was simple and varied most days, although beans and pancakes are a standard option every morning. It was sufficient and it set me up for the day. One thing that was annoying though was the constant arguing between the breakfast staff every single morning. Usually it originated from an elderly woman, who I can only assume is the co-owner of the hotel. But just because you are speaking in a different language it doesn’t hide the fact that you are arguing. Was a bit comical at first but then was just plain annoying after two weeks of it. They always seemed to be in a major panic as well for such a small operation, was a bit peculiar all the same. Not the first thing you want to experience in the mornings when you are on holidays.

The room was nice and not dated like some reviews have pointed out here and I found it to be ok. One thing they didn’t have much of though was cutlery and plates, was a bit annoying I have to say. They also charge €7 a day for Air conditioning in the room so instead of paying this I rented out a fan at €12 for the week, did the job superbly. Didn’t fancy paying €98 to have air con for the two weeks. There was a lot of mosquitoes about as well due to the hotels proximity to the salt lakes right across the road so be aware, bring some spray if you can, it’s highly recommended. The beds were rock hard as well and I woke every morning with back or neck pains so that was an expereince in itself. Sometimes the cleaners tended to leave the door open of the hotel room as well after they had cleaned it, which i found a bit strange with all of our belongings in there.

I was also stopped quite rudely one day by the daughter of the owner who told me to remove all the sand from my feet (when there wasn’t a lot on there in the first place). I obliged and then when I brought up some issues with her later that I had with the hotel, she informed me that I would have to speak to her father, the owner, because she didn’t want to hear it. Double standards if I ever seen it. So I decided to point out my dislikes with this review.

There wasn’t much else to point out about the hotel. Internet access was expensive at €5 per hour, there is a cat infestation in the restaurant so if you are allergic then keep away, people who return to the hotel a lot get treated a lot better (they usually get the rooms on the 3rd floor as well looking out at the sea), there is a strange noise when someone above you flushes the toilet or is having a shower, but it is in an excellent location right beside the beach and very close to the town of Alykes. The dinner was also nice and very reasonably priced as well.

All in all the hotel is sufficient but would be recommended more for the older traveller I feel (they seemed to get more hello's from the staff, there was a couple of occasions where my girlfriend and I said hello and got no reply at all so that wasn't nice I felt).

Hopefully this review has helped anyway who is considering staying here and if you need any questions answered then don’t hesitate to contact me

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Holiday_Lover08
Reviewed 27 July 2008

Garry and Elsa Grant
Watford.

My wife and I had 2 weeks in the Astoria and we can only sing it's praises. It is the first time we have stayed there.

The whole family ,who run the Hotel, are very friendly and helpful from the moment we arrived until the minute we left!

Our rooms were ok and very clean, but an additional 7 euros a day for Aircon caught me surprise - but as the temp was 100deg, we needed it !

The other gripe with the room was the very small balcony. We like to sit out in the morning or evening to survey the beach, but the aircon pump was so noisy and took up most of the space.

Food wise, the breakfast was excellent and compared to other offerings in Greece (we have been to 12 other islands) the variety was never boring; cereals, eggs poached or scrambled; bacon; sausage; beans; fruits; yoghurts; pancakes; home made muffins etc etc....

In general we found Greece now to be an expensive holiday compared to a few years ago. The prices for just about everything have almost doubled in 3 years - and that doesn't take into account the weakness of the pound against the Euro.

We found the best value meal was the set evening meal in the Hotel. Different every night, but an example is choice of salad or soup; Steak or Moussaka or Grilled bass followed by Jelly or fruit... all this for 8 euros 50 cents. THE SAME MEAL IN LOCAL TAVERNAS WOULD BE 20-25 EUROS A HEAD!!!!!!!!!
We ate in one night and ventured out the next ... the Astoria was as good as anything nearby.

The sunbed thing is also not our experience - we ALWAYS gat a sunbed on the beach (there are only 10 Parasols available) and that was by getting to them after breakfast at 9am .... if a previous reviewer says it was 7 am and they were all gone , then he must have been very very unlucky ..and as breakfast wasnt open till 8am the hotel was still asleep at 7am!!!!

All in all, a lovely time had by all and I would recommend it to anyone.

A special hello to 'The Family' ; Maria & Rena
Staff ;Julie, Christos, Harry & Nancy
Fellow holiday makers; Graham and Andrea. ; Fiona and family.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank GarryGee
Reviewed 9 July 2008

Just returned from Alikes in Zante.Stayed at the Astoria Hotel, we agree the hotel is a little run down but the room girls do have a high standard of cleanliness.It was our first stay at the Astoria even though we have visited the island 12 times. Always a lovely welcome and peace and quiet. The owners of the Astoria greeted us warmly on our arrival and again at breakfast the next day. All down hill after that it's a mystery what we did but we were either ignored or mumbled at for the rest of our holiday making us feel like intruders as most of the other guests were people that return year after year and are "in with the family". We were not able to make use of the sunbeds as all had towels on them at 7am or before, good old Brits. Needless to say we used other beds away from the hotel. We love Zante and will be back next year but not at the Astoria.
Taylors Yorkshire

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank taylor474
Reviewed 28 September 2007

Stayed in the Astoria in August with my girlfriend, the weather was super. The hotel is about 45 mins from the airport by coach and situated about 5 mins walk from the Village of Alykes (i think thats how you spell it!).

The hotel itself is nice, the rooms are a bit dated but nothing major. Very clean I have to say and the fridge provided is a s sweet as nut for chilling water, and more importantly vodka and fanta lemon. The bar is good downstairs, I was able to watch Utd vs City with an ice cold pint bottle of Heineken in a frozen glass by myself. The breakfast provided is okay, nothing above average but it did the trick all the same, we ate there most mornings. The lunch menu was good, it's beyond belief how handy it was to be at the beach one second and 10 seconds later be in the bar/restaurant. We ate at the restaurant one night out of our stay, I had lamb which was beautiful and my girlfriend had some sort of sea food dish which she said was good also.

The one drawback I found was the owners, they are straight down the line and are great for the most part except for one. I found her to be borderline rude but not rude at the same time.

Great trip and will return. It's uber relaxing!!!!!!!

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple