“Pleasant week spent at the Astoria, good food and quiet location” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Astoria

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Alykes
Astoria
Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Alykes
Zante Alikes
“Pleasant week spent at the Astoria, good food and quiet location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2009

The Astoria has some bad reports but no problems on our stay, the rooms were dated but clean and no sewage smells . The food we ate at the hotel was good and reasonably priced , the breakfast a bit monotonous as with other greek hotels .
It is in a great position but unfortunately the beach in front of the hotel is now virtually non existant but within 5 metres there is a lovely golden beach. If you took the time to speak to the staff they were pleasant.
The only negative comment the towels although clean and changed daily need replacing.

• Stayed June 2009

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
Cambridgeshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2009

As with previous reviews we found the management/owners to be rude at times, sometimes you could be completely ignored especially by the restaurant manager. The room we had was very dated and in desperate need of a make over and found we could rarely use our balcony in the evening due to the foul sewage smell from the hotels drains. It seems that if you are one of their regulars who go back every year or eat in their restaurant most evenings it is a totally different story as you are given the better rooms and treated better by the management, if not I would recommend you stay somewhere else!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2009

Please just don't stay here! It's not worth the hassle. We were so looking forward to returning to this island after first visiting 9 years ago. What a shame our holiday was overshadowed by this hotel. I really wish we had made a fuss on our first day! To keep it short we had problems with the cleanliness of the room and bathroom, uncomfortable encounters with owners over these and other issues (they didn't realise I understand greek), lack of electricity for hours at a time for which we were blamed for, rude staff (but one lovely lady) at breakfast and generally an uneasy feel in this hotel. After realizing there were better rooms in the hotel and after complaining so much, we were moved one week into our stay to an ok room but still not to one of the nice rooms which seemed to be reserved for friends etc.
However, the resort itself was exactly what we hoped for with some amazing meals and plenty of sun!!!!
We are generally not fussy travelers. I wouldn't even stay here if they paid me!!!

• Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank londondublingirl
cheshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2008

Alykes is a wonderful holiday destination and ideal for a relaxing break without children.
We stayed at the astoria seven years ago on our first holiday together and the location is superb with fantastic sea views.
Whilst choosing a honeymoon destination we decided to return once more, presuming the hotel would surely have been updated since our last visit. We were wrong, its in desperate need of refurbishment and generally very tatty.
On booking we informed the hotel that this was to be our honeymoon and booking early we particulaly asked for a room with a sea view, reinforced in the thrree e mails sent by the travel agent. Having stayed before we knew that the rooms on the higher floor are bigger and have good views.For whatever reason they choose to ignore our request and we found ourselves facing the salt flats and overlooking a half completed childres play area.To add insult to injury the twin beds were fixed to the floor.Instead of romantic nights drinking wine on our balcony as we had imagined, we were treated to the revelling of local youths who met on the afore mentioned play area each evening.
On arrival we reinforced the reason for our stay with the management but to no avail, even with a polite request from the holiday rep. The brochures boast helpful and friendly staff but fail to say thats only if you are one of the many elderly couples who return several times each year and only if you choose to dine each evening in their restaurant.If not you are definately not part of the IN CROWD and generally treated with disregard.
As we said Alykes itself is wonderful with many fine eateries to choose from and the locals very friendly and helpful. Out side the hotel the beach is awful, a thin strip with battered sunbeds covered in towels from daft oclock, but 200yds further on its perfect, clean and safe.
Dont go without experiencing the train ride up the mountain for the greek night, its a brilliant night out and should not be missed.
We shall certainly be returning to Alykes, certainly to alternative accomodation, shame we were treated so badly for our special celebration this year.

Stayed June 2008
Zante
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2008

We stayed at he Astoria for the first time in September 2006 for a two week stay and was a little alarmed when we saw our room.
The bathroom had a awful pong that came through the drains we complained numerous times to the owners who just kept putting bleach down the drains but the smell would return even worse.
We were refused another room and consequently had a absolutley awful fortnight the smell gave you headaches and made you feel sick. We felt like flying home but culdn't get flights. The hotel could do with a complete re-vamp, it is in a lovely spot right on the beach with beatufil views, the staff were friendly but could at times be abrupt.
The best of the holiday was the breakfasts if only to get out of the room and smell something pleasant rather than sewage smells.
We would not stay at this hotel again but are big lovers of Alykes and return there every year we find the resort relaxing and the people very friendly.

• Liked — Restaurant
  • Disliked — Room
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled as a couple
Ireland - Kildare
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2008

I stayed here with my girlfriend from the 2nd Aug to the 16th Aug 2008. Even though the hotel is nice and is of very good quality for Greek standards it certainly has its negative points.

For starters, the cleaners start hoovering every morning at 8:30am on the dot so if you fancy a bit of sleep in the mornings on holiday then it’s not ideal for you. If this doesn’t wake you up then music starts playing around 845am on the dot as well every morning so be warned.

After been woken up its time to go down for breakfast, turned into a routine with the cleaners been my alarm clock. The breakfast was simple and varied most days, although beans and pancakes are a standard option every morning. It was sufficient and it set me up for the day. One thing that was annoying though was the constant arguing between the breakfast staff every single morning. Usually it originated from an elderly woman, who I can only assume is the co-owner of the hotel. But just because you are speaking in a different language it doesn’t hide the fact that you are arguing. Was a bit comical at first but then was just plain annoying after two weeks of it. They always seemed to be in a major panic as well for such a small operation, was a bit peculiar all the same. Not the first thing you want to experience in the mornings when you are on holidays.

The room was nice and not dated like some reviews have pointed out here and I found it to be ok. One thing they didn’t have much of though was cutlery and plates, was a bit annoying I have to say. They also charge €7 a day for Air conditioning in the room so instead of paying this I rented out a fan at €12 for the week, did the job superbly. Didn’t fancy paying €98 to have air con for the two weeks. There was a lot of mosquitoes about as well due to the hotels proximity to the salt lakes right across the road so be aware, bring some spray if you can, it’s highly recommended. The beds were rock hard as well and I woke every morning with back or neck pains so that was an expereince in itself. Sometimes the cleaners tended to leave the door open of the hotel room as well after they had cleaned it, which i found a bit strange with all of our belongings in there.

I was also stopped quite rudely one day by the daughter of the owner who told me to remove all the sand from my feet (when there wasn’t a lot on there in the first place). I obliged and then when I brought up some issues with her later that I had with the hotel, she informed me that I would have to speak to her father, the owner, because she didn’t want to hear it. Double standards if I ever seen it. So I decided to point out my dislikes with this review.

There wasn’t much else to point out about the hotel. Internet access was expensive at €5 per hour, there is a cat infestation in the restaurant so if you are allergic then keep away, people who return to the hotel a lot get treated a lot better (they usually get the rooms on the 3rd floor as well looking out at the sea), there is a strange noise when someone above you flushes the toilet or is having a shower, but it is in an excellent location right beside the beach and very close to the town of Alykes. The dinner was also nice and very reasonably priced as well.

All in all the hotel is sufficient but would be recommended more for the older traveller I feel (they seemed to get more hello's from the staff, there was a couple of occasions where my girlfriend and I said hello and got no reply at all so that wasn't nice I felt).

Hopefully this review has helped anyway who is considering staying here and if you need any questions answered then don’t hesitate to contact me

• Liked — It's Location
  • Disliked — Been woken up every morning by the cleaners
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Holiday_Lover08
Hertfordshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2008

Garry and Elsa Grant
Watford.

My wife and I had 2 weeks in the Astoria and we can only sing it's praises. It is the first time we have stayed there.

The whole family ,who run the Hotel, are very friendly and helpful from the moment we arrived until the minute we left!

Our rooms were ok and very clean, but an additional 7 euros a day for Aircon caught me surprise - but as the temp was 100deg, we needed it !

The other gripe with the room was the very small balcony. We like to sit out in the morning or evening to survey the beach, but the aircon pump was so noisy and took up most of the space.

Food wise, the breakfast was excellent and compared to other offerings in Greece (we have been to 12 other islands) the variety was never boring; cereals, eggs poached or scrambled; bacon; sausage; beans; fruits; yoghurts; pancakes; home made muffins etc etc....

In general we found Greece now to be an expensive holiday compared to a few years ago. The prices for just about everything have almost doubled in 3 years - and that doesn't take into account the weakness of the pound against the Euro.

We found the best value meal was the set evening meal in the Hotel. Different every night, but an example is choice of salad or soup; Steak or Moussaka or Grilled bass followed by Jelly or fruit... all this for 8 euros 50 cents. THE SAME MEAL IN LOCAL TAVERNAS WOULD BE 20-25 EUROS A HEAD!!!!!!!!!
We ate in one night and ventured out the next ... the Astoria was as good as anything nearby.

The sunbed thing is also not our experience - we ALWAYS gat a sunbed on the beach (there are only 10 Parasols available) and that was by getting to them after breakfast at 9am .... if a previous reviewer says it was 7 am and they were all gone , then he must have been very very unlucky ..and as breakfast wasnt open till 8am the hotel was still asleep at 7am!!!!

All in all, a lovely time had by all and I would recommend it to anyone.

A special hello to 'The Family' ; Maria & Rena
Staff ;Julie, Christos, Harry & Nancy
Fellow holiday makers; Graham and Andrea. ; Fiona and family.

• Liked — Friendliness, cleanliness and quietness
  • Disliked — noisy aircon with small balcony
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank GarryGee
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alykes
Valais Hotel
Koukounaria Hotel
Koukounaria Hotel
#2 of 27 in Alykes
Panorama Studios Apartments

Been to Astoria? Share your experiences!