“Avoid”

Beaches & Cream
Ranked #10 of 13 Restaurants in Cullercoats
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Child-friendly, View
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Overlooking the picturesque Cullercoats Bay, Beaches & Cream is the perfect place to enjoy a cup of coffee and a cake or some delicious ice cream. The newly opened cafe is stylishly furnished and you will be made to feel very welcome by the friendly staff. Sit in the window and enjoy the wonderful coastal views.The cafe serves specialty coffees from Cafe Vinci as well as other hot drinks and delicious homemade cakes, the perfect accompaniment to a drink. There is even an old fashioned ice cream menu, perfect for the seaside. The ice cream parlor is the ideal place to get an ice cream and to sit out overlooking the bay or take a stroll along the seafront.Only 2 minutes from Cullercoats Metro Station..Come and See us
Cullercoats, United Kingdom
“Avoid”
Reviewed 5 March 2014

My daughter and I visited today. We had to wait for a table as it was so busy but that is usual. Since my daughter can't have wheat and they have wheat free cake we decided to give that a go. My daughter asked at the counter what flour had been used for the wheat free cake and the response from 2 assistants was that, It's gluten free baking powder'. They were clearly confused over what flour was used. We ordered a coffee and a scone and sat back down. Upon finally getting a table we asked again another waitress what the flour was in the cake to which she replied it was indeed a wheat free gluten free flour and apologised for the other girls error. It was now 11.35am. By 12.00pm we wondered if maybe they had forgot our order? We asked again and was told that, 'Coffee is on it's way'. By 12.10pm the wheat free cake finally arrived but no coffee or scone. We waited another 5 minutes and finally after almost 40minutes our order had arrived.
Since it was my daughters first visit she couldn't understand why I had made such a fuss of it. She said she won't be going back. I wouldn't go back because it's so cramped, people queue and watch you eating waiting for your table, the service was messy, sloppy and altogether a bad experience. Walk another 10 minutes into Tynemouth.

• Visited March 2014
5 Thank Renedan

Sunderland, United Kingdom
“Never again!!!!”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Me and my partner went in here and never again! Food is very over priced for what it actually is! Poor quality waited for what seemed like forever & poor customer seevice. Staff look very harassed. 3 members of staff im assuming management sat at a table drinking coffee and talking even though it was busy very unprofessional! When our food did arrive (we ordered sandwhiches) the produce is so cheap you would think it was from a supermarket value range! Lots of chaos in the cafe itself table order's getting mixed up ect would not recommend at all. There is a cafe/restaurant further down called the salt house which we ended up going to later on in the evening far far better! !!

6 Thank fooodie2014
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Appalling Experience”
Reviewed 1 March 2014

We called in to day as part of our walk along the sea front and although it was busy we quickly got a table.
After a few minutes we were approached by a family who asked if they could have the spare seat at our table which we gave to them so they could sit together.
Then one of the staff brought the chair back to our table and asked us to move as a group of three needed our table. I tried to explain that we'd already given them a seat but she insisted we moved.
Talk about Fawlty Towers...anyway worse was to come.
My partner ordered the food and after a further 10 minutes it still hadn't arrived, when eventually food was taken to our previous table where staff were advised it wasn't what the family had ordered.
They brought a sandwich to our table and we advised that we hadn't ordered it either so they took it away.
And now it got worse...
The lady who asked us to move came over with the sandwich and insisted it was ours and kept repeating it was our mistake that the order was wrong. She kept pointing at her order list and wouldn't stop repeating that the fault was ours and not theirs.
Eventually I asked her to stop talking like this to us but she didn't so I then suggested that we get a refund because I no longer wanted to stay and eat.
As the discussion built into an argument she refused to refund us any money for the coffees and other food we'd ordered but would give us the money back for the sandwich that we'd "incorrectly" ordered.
Having paid £13.00 for the order we left with a refund of about £4.50 because we were refused any further money...is this even legal?
We feel like we've been robbed. Maybe we should have just called in, left the money on the counter and walked out without placing an order?
This could have been resolved by them simply saying there'd been a mix up, but the waitress decided that blaming us and then arguing the point relentlessly with us in front of a full cafe was the way to go.
This was an absolutely appalling experience and we wouldn't recommend this place to anyone unless they wanted staff to treat them as badly as possible!.
Beaches and Cream is a place everyone should avoid and considering some of the other poor reviews already on here, it seems the owners aren't in a hurry to address some of the complaints.
As we didn't even get to try the food, we can't comment on it's quality, but it seems all I have to do to sample the food is go to Morrison's and we can get it there, probably for a fraction of the price.

• Visited March 2014
8 Thank Iommi68
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Customer service let them down”
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Have tried several times to experience Beaches and Cream but it has always been too busy, however finally managed to get in yesterday and won't be in a hurry to go back. Coffee's and scones came very quickly however the cheese on toast I ordered took 25 minutes to arrive, now I know everything is made to order but this is a long time to wait for something as simple as cheese on toast, and when it arrived it had to be sent back as wasn't as described on the menu (minus tomatoes, onion and sauce) - when the chef was informed if this she was overheard to state "it only said cheese on toast on ticket". Now regardless of the reason ie chef not knowing menu, customers shouldn't be hearing this. After another 5 minute wait I got my cheese on toast back but still minus the sauce but by this time my partner had finished his food and drink so I didn't want to be delayed any longer. Venue and decor is lovely however more attention needs to be had to customer service.

1 Thank Kb74dog
Great Missenden, United Kingdom
“Good location, good food and excellent staff”
Reviewed 24 February 2014

After a long walk in the wind we stopped at the Beaches and Cream cafe, and we had a really good experience - the cakes were very tasty, the service was friendly and helpful and the cafe was very relaxing and child-friendly. Good location too - it's a very good place to stop for an afternoon tea.

2 Thank microenzo