“Great family meal”
Review of The Candied Walnut Eatery - CLOSED

The Candied Walnut Eatery
Cuisines: French, Seafood
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: The Candied Walnut Eatery is a new Dining establishment situated in Kilnacourt House, Portarlington, Co. Laois. Proprietor/Head Chef Barry Hayden serves Lunches & Dinners at affordable prices. He uses only the finest ingredients to create his signature dishes. Fresh Coffees, Daily Lunch Specials, Evening Dining. Our Customer Service is second to none. Our aim at The Candied Walnut Eatery is to have every customer leave satisfied & with a smile on their face!!
Reviewed 26 August 2014

A large group of family visited for a late Sunday lunch - place was thronged, but we were seated immediately and our waitress dealt with us very promptly (nice touch with colours/picture for kiddies menu).
Starters all devoured and there was a great choice of mains. I went for roast Pork, which was accompanied by plenty (and more if wanted) of veg/potatoes. Children's food was excellent - great to see homemade goujons etc.
Desserts were also a hit - ice cream in a bucket was novel for the kids. My only tiny gripe with dessert was that the chocolate sauce for the profiteroles was spread onto the slate slabbed plate There was none on profiterole and I couldn't scoop up with spoon, so had to rub my profiterole into the chocolate.
All in all - a lovely family occassion and 2 birthday girls got a special dessert plate!

DawnDaisy46, Owner at The Candied Walnut Eatery, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2014

Dear Deaco,
Thank you so much for your lovely review on The Candied Walnut recently. Glad you & your family enjoyed dining with us. I have passed on your comments about the profiteroles. Glad the birthday girls had a good day with us.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

I have been to this restaurant on three occasions and cannot fault the food, as everything I have had there has been delicious. It is the nicest restaurant in the area and the food and surroundings are lovely. Staff are also friendly and pretty efficient, however, one thing which we found annoying on each of our visits was that after arriving we were left waiting for 20 minutes before anyone came near us to take an order. This is a long time to be left sitting without having a chance to even order a drink. Overall, the price is reasonable for the quality and The early bird menu is very good value.

Dear Niamh BB,
Thanks for taking the time to review our restaurant recently on tripadvisor. Glad you enjoyed. Sorry for the delay in taking your drinks order. I hope this did not spoil your evening.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

Myself and my family visited the restaurant on a Saturday evening. Although the place was really busy the food and service did not suffer as a consequence of this. We were served a complimentary amuse bouche which was beautiful. Each of us had different starters and I would highly recommend the goats cheese starter with the white chocolate and raisin sponge, it was absolutely amazing. Although the mains were great, the dessert was definitely my favourite course. Everything was beautiful and i can't fault any food that left the kitchen.

My only issue would be the built in corner seating. The cushion made me feel quite high up in comparison to those I was sitting across from. This is so minor though, and I quickly forgot about it when the amazing food arrived.

Dear Aoife W,
Thanks for taking the time to review our restaurant. Glad you all enjoyed everything.

Reviewed 9 August 2014

I have Just had the most fantastic meal at the Candied walnut, this is now my fourth visit & each visit just gets better.
I had the caesar salad to start, slow cooked spiced leg of lamb, with tomato & mint chutney, as if that was not enough i then had Eton mess which was not on the menu but the chef happily made it up for me & it did not disappoint, My husband had the parsnip & cumin soup, papardelle pasta with smoked chicken in white wine & roasted garlic cream, & to finish he had sticky toffee pudding.
the venue is very relaxing with a lovely easy feeling. I would recommend this restaurant for the Great food, lovely staff & comfortable surroundings, Great too that the waitress was able to explain the menu without having to go off & ask, i love when a waitress knows the menu, so well done to all, looking forward to my next visit,
Mary Ryan

Dear laoisladyLaois,
Many thanks for taking the time to review our restaurant. Delighted to hear you enjoyed your dining experience with us. We have a great team working front of house at The Candied Walnut of whom we are so proud of. When you have passionate staff it's half the battle.

Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

4 of us had dinner one Sunday evening and being my first time was very pleasantly surprised at the quality of dished on the menu and what eventually arrived at our table. Great food, friendly staff and good value to rival anything in Dublin. Well done. My only criticism would be that we waited about 25 minutes before a drinks order was taken - small issue which was compensated by a good evening.

Keep it up - we will be back.

Dear DamiMen,
Many thanks for taking the time to review our restaurant. Glad you all enjoyed everything & so glad the delay in getting drinks didn't spoil your evening.