“Excellent weekend break”

Torridge House Bed & Breakfast
Torridge House Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 4 Appledore B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 August 2013

Finding the b & b was the hardest part of the weekend, but once we had asked for directions, the rest was easy. We were greeted with a friendly welcome and shown to our room. The accommodation was clean and pleasant. Parking the car was not so easy but eventually gave up trying to find somewhere on the quay front and opted to pay and park in the car park which wasn't very far away.
Our hostess Penny was charming and nothing was too much trouble.
Breakfast was very pleasant in a sun filled conservatory and consisted of freshly cooked full English with eggs from the chickens at the end of the intriguing garden.
The house itself is in easy walking distance to everything Appledore has to offer.
All in all it was a very relaxing and enjoyable break.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Deb E

Reviewed 25 August 2013

We were looking for somewhere to stay in North Devon for a few days, following a trip down for a friend's birthday. We did a fair amount of online research of where to stay, somewhere we could relax and unwind, and picked the Torridge House B&B – and are really pleased we did.

Penny was friendly and welcoming from the very start and having checked out their website (which we now know has been recently redesigned), we knew exactly what to expect and weren’t disappointed.

We stayed in the ‘Blue Room’, which is a lovely large space, with a four-poster and small table with 2 chairs by the dormer window that looks out over the quiet street in front of the house (wide enough only to allow a single car down it). The décor was neutral but warm and we felt at home straight away. The en-suite shower room was small but perfectly formed and there is a radio CD player, with a range of music to play and an ipod dock, which we had on immediately on getting in!

Breakfast is served at any point up to 11am and was of a standard we had anticipated from our experience of the rest of the house. Fresh eggs laid by Penny’s hens in the back garden and home baked bread daily, topped off the full English I plumped for (having been offered basically whatever we might have wanted for breakfast – cereals, toast, smoked salmon muffins etc). The breakfast room was really comfortable and we couldn't imagine a better space.

We ate out locally for 2 of the 3 nights we stayed, but brought fish & chips back to eat in the guest lounge on the third while watching a DVD from the healthy selection available, using plates, cutlery and sauce we got from the kitchen.

This has to be the nicest B&B we've stayed in. We would both highly recommend the Torridge House and look forward to stay again the next time we’re in the area.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kris H
Reviewed 15 August 2013

I'm something of a veteran of B and B's and I can really say this is the best I've stayed in. Comfortable, clean house, marvellous beds, a 'secret garden', the open ease with which one can come and go right in the middle of Appledore. Penny's terrific breakfasts were a treat: top quality food, fresh and generous amounts on beautiful crockery. Penny is a great hostess, interesting, not intrusive and the grace of her taste reflected throughout the house. It was heaven and very good value.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 July 2013

My wife and I felt welcome from the moment the door opened. This is a lovely terraced house in a very narrow street in this quaint seaside town. The owner showed us to our room, which was not huge, but comfortably furnished, and more than adequate for us. There was a kettle, with tea, coffee, and biscuits of a better standard than the usual offering. There was a small but perfectly formed en suite shower room. Though its footprint was small, it was well designed, using the space so there was no bashing of elbows, or having to walk out backwards - both of which I have experienced before elsewhere. Best of all was a very comfortable bed, in which, with the very quiet street right outside, I slept my best night in weeks. We live in a city, yet by irony, this was the first night in weeks that I was not awoken by squabbling seagulls.

All was very clean and tidy, and an unusual feature was some very pretty hand-painted wallpaper, made by the owner's daughter, we later found.

We were fully briefed on the local eateries, and even given the option to bring back a take-away to eat in the kitchen if we so wished. Breakfast was, like everything else, casual, unhurried, informal, but quietly efficient and very well done. The eggs were local (back garden),as I think were some of the other ingredients. The rest was high quality and I'm sure came with a low food mileage - I forgot to ask where the bread came from - and in whatever quantity you wanted. Nothing was too much trouble. We shared the table in the kitchen conservatory with another guest - a young Indian ceramic artist of some international repute, who was great company. The presence of an artist in this house came as no surprise.

After breakfast, we had a look around the garden, which was much bigger than I had imagined from the size of the house frontage. It followed the theme of informal, slightly quirky and unusual, with unexpected interesting bits, like the hen house and fish pond.

We stayed one night, arranged on the spur of the moment, and that is my one regret. I could have done with at least a fortnight. Appledore may be known for its shipyard, giving it a somewhat industrial image, but it is a lovely quiet little place, with a firm North Devon core. It is on a double estuary - the rivers Taw and Torridge meet here, before joining the Bristol Channel, giving rise to some almost hypnotic water movements to watch from the terrace of one of the waterfront pubs. After that, Torridge House is the perfect place to spend the night.

Bring cash or the cheque book if you have one. Plastic cards just wouldn't seem right here.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 July 2013

My husband & I went to Appledore to see a concert and just needed a place to sleep for two nights. We found Torridge House on the internet and were very glad we did. We were so comfortable and happy there we extended an extra night. Penny is a great host, very accommodating, delicious fresh food, wonderful furnishings, clean and very comfortable. The location is very convenient and Penny made us feel like we were staying in her home, not her business. Thanks to her, we felt like locals, not tourists for the three days. We stayed in the ‘Bird Room’ with fantastic birds hand-painted painted on the walls. I notice someone else has mentioned the amazing bed linen. YES, so true! We can’t recommend Torrington House enough.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 July 2013

This has to be one of the nicest b&b's I have stayed in. My dog Floyd and I were made to feel very welcome in this beautiful house. Our room was so very comfortable, clean and tastefully decorated that we felt right at home. There's a wonderful country garden at the rear which is not to be missed. We so enjoyed the lovely town of Appledore along with this excellent accommodation that we decided to stay an extra night ! Don't miss out on a stay to remember and thank you Penny for such exceptional hospitality.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 22 June 2013

My partner and I have just spent a romantic weekend at beautiful Torridge House in Appledore. The room was magically decorated with a hand painted chinoiserie and the bed the most comfortable I ever experienced at a B & B, lovely bed linen and amazing feather duvets etc. We were able to watch a DVD from a huge selection in the beautiful comfy lounge and the garden was incredible. Breakfast was brilliant and Penny offered us an interesting choice of cooked breakfast apart from the usual croissant and fresh fruit salad and cereal. Home made bread and fantastic home made marmalade and Jams.

A wonderful experience of genuine hospitality which we hope repeat sometime soon.

Stayed: June 2013

Been to Torridge House Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!