“What an improvement.”

Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Manila, Philippines
“What an improvement.”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

i have been visting the Seagate for many years now (20+) and the recent refurbishments and improvements in the dining experience are fantastic. Food on the Thursday vist was absolutely first rate, a little disappointed with the Plaice ujons on the monday night visit, but overal the experience is top notch, would recommend anyone visiting Appledore enjoy a meal at the Seagate and you will not be disappointed. Serving staff are excellent.

Visited August 2014
1 Thank Hugh G

Sydney, Australia
“Lovely casual ambiance good food”
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

We wandered in off the street at 6 pm on a Sunday evening and got the last table in the restaurant area. I had the Tandoori chicken salad £11. A tasty, light meal which is exactly what I wanted. Chicken was cooked perfectly. Still moist. My partner ate the Crab Linguine. £10. He really enjoyed it. We shared a bottle of Chenin Blanc which was £13.50. We ate every bit on our plates. We went across the road and got an icecream for the Hockings Van for dessert. A lovely evening. Would fine there again as they had a nice variety of meals to choose from.

Bideford, United Kingdom
“Just OK”
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

Went for dinner for a change from excellent pubs we usually frequent, like Beaver, Pig on Hill, Boathouse, Coach and Horses in Buckland Brewer.
Thought we would give this place a go. Welcoming staff despite being very busy.
Had the "buffalo" wings. Awful! They were so over cooked (boiled?) that the meat fell off so could not be dipped into the blue cheese sauce. I was expecting brown crispy wings that held together, not flabby pale skinned things. Really unpleasant.
Steak expensive but just OK, one small mushroom, no onion rings, a few skinny chips.
Tandoori chicken dry, tiny strips of pitta bread.
We went to the Hockings van for pud. Lovely!

Visited August 2014
1 Thank Devon2urist
Gilwern, Wales, United Kingdom
“All I wanted was some extra veg !”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Really inconsistent service here resulted in a poor experience. We ate one night of our hols and I asked for some extra green veg with the dish I ordered (as am pregnant and need my greens) and they were really helpful and I got extra green beans with a lovely fish dish. We enjoyed our meal so much that we decided to eat here on our last night. Again, I chose a fish dish and asked if it came with veg, the girl serving wasn't sure so checked with kitchen who said I could have a spoonful of peas with it and that was it! So instead I ordered fish with roasted med veg, I asked for an extra large portion of the veg and was told this was cost £1 - inconsistent with the previous night but fair enough. The meal arrived and the med veg consisted of 90% potato (gnocci) and a measly one piece of courgette and one of aubergine. The lady on the next table had ordered the same but then a lovely bowl of green veg she had ordered arrived with hers as an additional order. Bemused, we asked if I could have the same and was told "no", that she had ordered hers with a different dish ! We had tried that tactic but failed. So, I ended up with a pile of potato for which we were charged an extra £1 and left feeling pretty annoyed and confused. What do you have to do to get some veg in this place? It's not like I asked for a side of cavier. We would have considered returning out of season to stay at The Seagate, but after the ridiculous service will not do so. What a shame as our first experience there was great.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank BethandAlO
Cornwall
“Nice but needs refining”
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Had a meal here with family over the summer. A nice selection of food and beers in a nice location next to the estuary.
Staff were friendly and helpful with a prompt service.
Unfortunately I had the lamb which had no taste to it at all. I'm no Michelin star chef but I always thought lamb was one of the more flavourful meats yet this one had somehow managed to loose all its flavour.
Spoilt was could have been a really nice meal.
Still a decent place and one that I probably would go back to. I just wouldn't choose the lamb again

• Visited July 2014