“50 minutes to get the order, the beer is watered and the owner is greedy!”
Review of L'Ombra della Sera - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
L'Ombra della Sera
Cecina, Italy
“50 minutes to get the order, the beer is watered and the owner is greedy!”
Reviewed 27 August 2011

We are living in Marina di Cecina and actually we know that in summer it is better NOT to go there to eat. The restaurants are extremely full and the quality of food is terrible. Also the service suffers a lot.
Normally the locals go to the city restaurants in summer trying to avoid Marina area. Or we go to ex-Cecinella place (now called I Pini) (the exhibition park at the beginning of the pine forest, Pineta) to eat at Sagra. This is like a public cafeteria where the people eat all together at the big tables and you get the food that costs less but tasted like a home-made.
Well yesterday it was our error when we decided to eat some pizza in Marina di Cecina. We came later than we eat normally. We arrived to L'Ombra della Sera at 21.45 being sure that on Friday we'll find a free table and hoping that many people hve already finished their dinner.
This restaurnat is a very very little pizzeria just next to the large restaurant Rotta di Zodiaco. It doesn't have an inside room, only a glass terrace facing a street with heavy traffic. There are approx. 10-11 tables in total. And friday evening there was only one (!) waiter to serve. We had to wait about 10 minutes to have a table which was not occupied but was not prepared. She was bringing pizzzas and drinks to other tables and there were 6 persons outside waiting when she finds a minute to cover 2 small tables with tablecloth! Well we have ordered 1 beer, 1 water and 2 pizzas. And we were waiting about 45 (!) minutes to get our order. The beer was served after 5 minutes and at the time when I got my pizza my beer has been already warm! There was only one guy who was making pizzas and the girl who was supposed to help him went out into the street and was chatting on her cellular for about 10 minutes. He had to shout at her from the kitchen and tell that she must finish and help him. All the clients were watching that and this was really unpleasant. The other issue was that the man who seemed to be a property owner was walking among the tables all the time and watching how the people are eating but never moved a finger to help the waiter bring away the glass or bring a pizza. Even seeing that there were many clients waiting for the order more than 30 minutes. At 22.47 my child became too much hungry and nervous. She was too calm to wait for 45 minutes at the table being hungry and sleepy! I told the waiter that we'd better go away as the baby needs to go to bed and she promised that the pizza is ready in 5 minutes. No exuses, but accused us that the arrived the last so we must wait patiently when all others are served. Still don't understand why she couldn't inform us that they are being too late with orders from the beginning? Well after 5 minutes the pizza was served but we had to wait other 10 minutes to be able to eat. It was very very hot because they put too much tomato paste and it remains boiling when the pizza is served. For the same reason it tasted too sour, you could not determine the taste of mushrooms or of mozzarella but only the taste of the half-done tomato paste.
My Heineken beer was really watered - so watered that it didn't even make any foam! And I asked to change one ingridient - remove the onion and add mushrooms. Normally in all pizzerias when you remove one ingridient and add the other you do not pay extra. Or they make you paying extra 50 cents for an additional ingridient. Here the owner decided to add 1 euro to the price and my pizza in the bill costed 8 euros instead of 7. BY THE WAY - they include also a service charge 2 euros per person into the bill and this is NOT STATED ANYWHERE IN MENU. In all normal restaurants you read about the service charge on the first page of the menu and here it becomes a suprise at the end. The owner knew that we are locals and has seen that we are unhappy with their times but did not even care to make any compliment to us - like to remove a service charge or make a small discount. He preferred to add 1 euro to the price of my pizza for 3 pieces of canned mushrooms showing that he doesn't care if we come back ever.
Well I haven't had my dinner at 23.00 for years and for a long time I haven't seen my baby so nervous. 8 euros for a pizza? In the city of Cecina which is 10 minutes of a bicylcle ride you can have a great pizza for 6-7 euros and an excellent service. And a beer that tastes like a beer not like a water. So never again.

• Visited August 2011